Philippines First Bus Rapid Transit System For Cebu

MikeB
Posted
Posted

A major block to this BRT plan will almost certainly come from the environmental lobby led by Attorney Tony Oposa who is currently suing both the Cebu local government and national government to force them to introduce road-sharing schemes. Under that, around 50% of the road width would be lost to cycle lanes, footpaths and 'edible gardens' (don't ask!). He's already had some success - in Iloilo, I believe. Since the remaining space will have to accommodate all other vehicular traffic, there won't be any space for dedicated bus lanes. Oposa has had major success in taking on and beating vested interests in the past and he's using existing legislation to make his cases; I think he will win.

That is the one thing that could stall this thing ad infinitum. Look what they've done to the MUCH-needed Naga to Carcar road-widening project. Environmental groups, including cameos from a "running priest" who lives in Manila btw, have stalled the project because of the debate over preserving the century old rotten acacia trees. Two of the trees have already fallen in the the highway stalling traffic for several hours both times. The project was supposed to be basically finished early in 2015, as of a couple months ago it's not even 1% completed. They tore up the highway and left it while the various agencies argue over who will pay what and none of them have money to rescue or relocate trees. And the budget for the project is approaching expiration. Really a damn shame. I hope BRT doesn't meet the same fate. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I hope BRT doesn't meet the same fate.

And that's the crux of it.  Some here are optimistic and hope the BRT does not meet a similar fate, others have seen enough stupid sh&t to believe there is a 90% chance the BRT WILL meet the same fate.  But they did get the tunnel and SRP built after what . .  20 years?  So there is hope.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

The highway south of Bacolod was rebuilt over the past 2 years but they forgot to put in the 1 meter concrete drainage casings in so now they are tearing up the new outside lanes to put in the drainage.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Time to get back on topic... A rapid bus system in Cebu.

After reading all the "neysayers", I'm convinced that most still do not have a proper understanding of what a Rapid Bus System is all about. When most think of a normal city bus, they think of a bus that stops every so many meters to let on or off passengers and does so at every bus stop a required. A Rapid Bus System does the same basic thing but the bus only stops at specific stops - for example, at the most major intersections. The Rapid Bus may skip over quite a few regular bus stops before it's next designated stop. Those waiting at the non-designated stops must wait for a regular bus (or other form of transportation) and passengers on the Rapid Bus do not get off anywhere but a designated Rapid Bus stop. What may normally take an hour on a regular bus may only be 20 minutes or so on a Rapid Bus System.

I have been on Rapid Buses in cities that have extremely bad traffic and it would quite well. If it does get off the ground and has issues meeting it's schedule, I'm convinced you will see the Cebu Polis out doing extra duty to make sure it's not the traffic slowing it down.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

After reading all the "neysayers", I'm convinced that most still do not have a proper understanding of what a Rapid Bus System is all about.

The naysayers have some valid points and, while some may not have a proper understanding of a BRT system, most have a basic understanding of what goes on here. I would love to see this come to fruition but after seeing so many of these desperately needed projects (like the Naga to Carcar road-widening) become abject failures I have serious doubts as well.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

After reading all the "neysayers", I'm convinced that most still do not have a proper understanding of what a Rapid Bus System is all about.

The naysayers have some valid points and, while some may not have a proper understanding of a BRT system, most have a basic understanding of what goes on here. I would love to see this come to fruition but after seeing so many of these desperately needed projects (like the Naga to Carcar road-widening) become abject failures I have serious doubts as well.

I never said they did not have valid points, I said I don't believe that most of the neysayers understood how a BRT worked.  There is a lot of difference between the two.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I said I don't believe that most of the neysayers understood how a BRT worked.

Well ok, if your point is that some members of an expat forum don't know what a "proper BRT system" is, that's pretty self-evident. But that's hardly the issue and not exactly relevant if the damn thing is never built. But that's not the worst thing that could happen. Like the other project, they could tear up the streets and have to put the whole thing on hold for many years while environmental groups file endless lawsuits in the glacial judicial system while various dysfunctional government acronyms argue about who's going to pay for what, all claiming to have no money. Fr. Reyes, the self-described "running priest" from Maila could parachute in again waving his bible and tying white ribbons around all the trees and plants that need to be removed to facilitate the project and bring it to a dead halt. That's what happens here. Really, you have to experience it first hand, reading about it on expat forums doesn't begin to do it justice.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I said I don't believe that most of the neysayers understood how a BRT worked.

Well ok, if your point is that some members of an expat forum don't know what a "proper BRT system" is, that's pretty self-evident. But that's hardly the issue and not exactly relevant if the damn thing is never built. But that's not the worst thing that could happen. Like the other project, they could tear up the streets and have to put the whole thing on hold for many years while environmental groups file endless lawsuits in the glacial judicial system while various dysfunctional government acronyms argue about who's going to pay for what, all claiming to have no money. Fr. Reyes, the self-described "running priest" could parachute in again waving his bible and tying white ribbons around all the trees and plants that need to be removed to facilitate the project and bring it to a dead halt. That's what happens here. Really, you have to experience it first hand, reading about it on expat forums doesn't begin to do it justice.

I'm not arguing any of the above you are posting except that the title of this thread is "Philippines First Bus Rapid Transit System for Cebu", a newspaper article stating the World Bank was prepared to assist with funding for such was presented as the main issue and what I posted about was to help some some members understand the type of bus system being proposed - many areas do not have BRTs.  If it happens or not is just a side issue. But I have to ask...  Did you meet Fr. Reyes?  Or did you get your information from the newspapers?  Television?  Incidentally, I knew of Fr. Reyes little stunt about 3 hours after he pulled it.  So, am I - and any other forum members who doesn't live in the Philippines -  so inept that we can only find out things by reading it on an Expat Forum?  I have to admit, we do cover a lot of the pertinent news for expats on here but I do a lot more to find out what the heck is going on in this world - and especially the Philippines. So please stop treating us like idiots.  Just because we aren't boots down as of yet doesn't mean we don't know what is what.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
So please stop treating us like idiots.  Just because we aren't boots down as of yet doesn't mean we don't know what is what.

I'm not treating anyone like an idiot, I was replying to YOUR post and no one else so you can forget the "us" and "we". 

i am bob
Posted
Posted

So please stop treating us like idiots.  Just because we aren't boots down as of yet doesn't mean we don't know what is what.

I'm not treating anyone like an idiot, I was replying to YOUR post and no one else so you can forget the "us" and "we".

You really do like to prove my point for me, don't you...

• Like 1