Philippines First Bus Rapid Transit System For Cebu

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

“The funding will be used to put up the infrastructure as well as facilities required for the BRT, including the exclusive bus lanes and stations,” Gullas said.

I've got a bridge I can sell them.  I suspect they will be buying a few.  It is, however, refreshing that some still believe this will work.  My heart goes out to those believers as I hope they are right, but my head says a subway or elevated train is the only way to alleviate the congestion.  Just my humble opinion.

I have to agree with you DH, I have driven that road from Bulacao many many times at all hours of the day and night, if they think they can get on average 26 k.p.h on buses someone's never even been on that road at peak hour, maybe 2.6 would be closer to the mark. Also I can't see them having designated bus lanes, it's only 4 lanes now and with cars parked willy nilly as they do here you are lucky to get 2 lanes most times. Another thing to consider, it took the main roads here in Lapu-Lapu over a year to remove and replace 4 k's of road and they say they are going to do this project in around 2 years. I do hope it works for them but sounds a pipe dream to me JMHO.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

“The funding will be used to put up the infrastructure as well as facilities required for the BRT, including the exclusive bus lanes and stations,” Gullas said.

I've got a bridge I can sell them.  I suspect they will be buying a few.  It is, however, refreshing that some still believe this will work.  My heart goes out to those believers as I hope they are right, but my head says a subway or elevated train is the only way to alleviate the congestion.  Just my humble opinion.

I have to agree with you DH, I have driven that road from Bulacao many many times at all hours of the day and night, if they think they can get on average 26 k.p.h on buses someone's never even been on that road at peak hour, maybe 2.6 would be closer to the mark. Also I can't see them having designated bus lanes, it's only 4 lanes now and with cars parked willy nilly as they do here you are lucky to get 2 lanes most times. Another thing to consider, it took the main roads here in Lapu-Lapu over a year to remove and replace 4 k's of road and they say they are going to do this project in around 2 years. I do hope it works for them but sounds a pipe dream to me JMHO.

I guess you have not seen that there is money to acquire land as part of this BRT. What all the nah sayers are mentioning is the dedicated lanes, no a Rapid busway is not out there amongst the traffic the busway is in a walled off area and not with the rest of the traffic. 

Like this photo and video

post-1-0-79302600-1444636630_thumb.jpg

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I still think the Mono rail system should be considered post-2148-0-69501700-1444637323.jpg post-2148-0-64764200-1444637345_thumb.jp

JMHO

Jackpost-2148-0-00400200-1444637375.png

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system will get P1.3 billion in funding next year

There is a general election in Philippines on May 9, 2016. Coincidence?  Lets return to this discussion in 12 months and see where they are on this.  Anyone got a calendar to diarize this?

Another reason to doubt this happening is because the project has been on the table for a year already and

The Department of Budget and Management has released P9.48 billion in August to fund the Transportation Department’s Cebu BRT project.   The BRT project is estimated to cost P10.62 billion and expected to be operational by 2018.

but now they are only talking about the project getting 1.3 billion?  Not exactly the 10.62 billion that was estimated.  Perhaps they will buy the land, but thats as far as they can get with such a small percentage of the estimated cost.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Well they may have money to acquire the land but I really doubt the Catholic Church and others will be to pleased to sell. On one section of this road in about 1.5k's there are from memory 3 churches, cant see them being to happy have buses tearing past the front door when mass is on. If these are walled off areas how are the many cross streets going to work and the people walking, there are a few overhead walkways but no-one uses them, if it goes for 15k's it's a long way for a U turn. as I said I do hope for the peoples sake it happens but ..........

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
There is a general election in Philippines on May 9, 2016. Coincidence?  Lets return to this discussion in 12 months and see where they are on this.  Anyone got a calendar to diarize this?   Another reason to doubt this happening is because the project has been on the table for a year already and

As you may recall the world bank approved the loan. Now you are seeing the department of works allocating money. They said man would never fly, they did. As you were in Cebu recently I'm sure you noticed some changes? Are you saying nothing will ever change even though the population is increasing where evently no traffic will move at all.

Here is how things are working through the system. Click on the tabs, http://www.worldbank.org/projects/P119343/cebu-bus-rapid-transit-brt-demonstration-project?lang=en

The Environment Compliance Certificate has been issued (ECC) for the mass transport system that is expected to be operational by 2018.

http://www.rappler.com/nation/97033-cebu-bus-rapid-transit-ecc

“Part of the money will also be used to pay for the costs of right of way acquisition and detailed engineering design, among others,” he added.

With the funding, the lawmaker said the system should be on track for completion by the first quarter of 2018.

Anyway if this is all hype then the Philippines will never see a loan from the world bank again. By the way, I wont need a calendar as I will be updating this topic as things progress. I see they extended the Dumaguete boardwalk, more progress elsewhere in the Philippines I guess.  :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Project still panning forward 

CEBU City Hall unveiled the proposed design of its terminals for its Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) units which took inspiration from the flowers and the sun, reflecting the sunny disposition of Cebu and the bright and cheerful nature of the Cebuanos and our festivals.

post-1-0-65526900-1451717593_thumb.jpg  post-1-0-31678600-1451717595_thumb.jpg

BRT office chief Rafael Yap said the design is part of the initial input of the ongoing detailed engineering design for the project.

He said the pròject is still on schedule despite the city’s request for the consultant to extend work for a couple of months.

Yap said the project’s first phase covering the Osmena Boulevard will be built next year since it is less burdened by road riģht of way concerns.

The BRT station will be four meters wide and 83 meters long.

The BRT first phase from Bulacao to Ayala will consist of 15 symmetric and asymmetric stations.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I wonder if they will have license plates for those busses  :hystery:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 9/29/2014 at 9:10 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

If the 'new improved' system happens in my lifetime then I am buying a round of beers for all forum members who can show up in Cebu for it..  Mark this post and remind me.

Just looking like an "I toldja so" moment:

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2017/07/01/cebu-citys-brt-likely-failure-550609

Cebu City's BRT 'a likely failure'

Saturday, July 01, 2017

By RAZEL V. CUIZON

THE Cebu Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) project will most likely fail. This was the opinion of Engr. Rene Santiago, a transportation and engineering expert, who said the BRT is not ideal for Cebu City because of the physical limitation of its roads with only two lanes dedicated for the buses.

• 9 months later...
Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 9/27/2014 at 5:23 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:
Good news for Cebu? 

World Bank funds Philippines' first bus rapid transit system, other programs

THE WORLD BANK approved on Friday nearly half-a-billion dollars in financial package to fund the Philippines' first bus rapid transit (BRT) system and augment the government's budget for reforms, including a conditional cash assistance program for mothers to send their children to school.

In a statement released to the media on Saturday, the Washington-based lender said it is lending $141 million for the construction of a 23-kilometer BRT system in Cebu City.

A separate statement said the World Bank's Board of Executive Directors approved a $300 million new development policy loan (DPL) to support programs outlined under the Aquino administration's six-year Philippine Development Plan (PDP).

Combined, the fresh loans amount to $441 million or an estimated P19.7 billion (based on Friday's exchange rate of P44.72 to the dollar).

With the BRT system, the Philippines joins the likes of Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Ottawa, and Sao Paolo that built this mode of transport as wealth spills over to other urban centers from the main capital, bringing with it traffic and pollution headaches.

Cebu has seen rapid urbanization in recent years, with the Philippines' property conglomerates racing to build malls, towering condominiums and office buildings while the government works out a deal to upgrade the city's main airport.

The Cebu BRT system is expected to ferry 330,000 passengers daily. A BRT system has dedicated lanes and is cheaper to build compared to their light rail transit counterparts.

The project, the multilateral lender said, will also install a “state-of-the-art computerized traffic management system in the entire city” to integrate the BRTs with other modes of transport.

“When successfully implemented, Cebu BRT will provide an on-the-ground demonstration of how this system can address people’s need for a reliable, efficient and comfortable transport ��“ something that other cities in the Philippines and beyond can learn from,” World Bank Country Director Motoo Konishi was quoted as saying in the release.

The Department of Budget and Management has released P9.48 billion in August to fund the Transportation Department’s Cebu BRT project.

The BRT project is estimated to cost P10.62 billion and expected to be operational by 2018.

Broken down, P1.1 billion will be shouldered by the Philippine government and P8.39 billion will be sourced from loans.

The remaining P1.14 billion will be financed by the private sector, particularly in purchasing vehicles.

Meanwhile, the DPL, the World Bank said, will support six programs:

-building farm-to-market roads and roads for tourism areas

-simplifying registration and licensing of small and medium enterprises

-updating the National Household Targeting System (NHTS), a database of poor families that need social welfare, including health insurance coverage.

-expanding the conditional cash transfer (CCT) program to children up to 18 years old to encourage them to finish high school

-implementing reforms, including the implementation of “sin” taxes to “improve fiscal sustainability”

-standardizing budget, spending, audit and reporting classifications for agencies in a bid to modernize the public financial management information systems in the country. 

The $300 million aid also supports the government’s data.gov.ph project, an open data initiative which lists at least 600 data sets from government agencies.

“The government sees transparency around the use of public resources as fundamental to institutionalizing governance reforms. By making government data available to the general public, the government can get better feedback from citizens on how it can best deliver social services while making those in public service more accountable,” World Bank Senior Economist Kai Kaiser was quoted as saying in the release.--MIKHAIL FRANZ E. FLORES

This is an old topic from 2014 that our JGF was quite hopeful about, in spite of the skepticism of the long time residents here.  Unfortunately, skeptics seem to be winning

THE completion of the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) may be pushed back. . . .  It is expected to be fully operational by 2021.

IF I am lucky, I will see it in my lifetime, but don't place bets on that.

• Haha 1