Philippines First Bus Rapid Transit System For Cebu

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Did I see that projct is to start in 2018

three years seems very fast for something of this magnitude.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Gerald Glatt said:

three years seems very fast for something of this magnitude.

If you look at the date of the original post, it has already been 4 years and they have got nowhere.

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If you look at the date of the original post, it has already been 4 years and they have got nowhere.

Must be the same folks that dug the tunnel in Boston.  Planed under Eisenhower and started under Johnson..think it was opened under Obama

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 7/2/2017 at 10:31 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Just looking like an "I toldja so" moment:

Yeah I read it somewhere awhile back but said nothing as I knew you would rub it in my face :smile: To add what I read is that it has been scrapped.

• 3 years later...
Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

This is an old topic where some said it would never happen but it is and will so things are changing. First Dave says modernised traffic lights wont happen,

On 9/29/2014 at 9:10 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

There area already traffic lights and busses in Cebu.  The traffic lights get turned off so the Traffic 'wardens' can dance and direct traffic in the intersections while the busses operate from two seperate bus terminals which are (naturally) not connected by bus.  If the 'new improved' system happens in my lifetime then I am buying a round of beers for all forum members who can show up in Cebu for it..  Mark this post and remind me.

Where shall we meet for a free round of beers :whistling:

But

Spoiler

CEBU CITY – The Cebu City Transportation Office (CCTO) has completed the installation of the new integrated traffic light system in major intersections in this city.

Mayor Edgardo Labella announced during the launch of the project on Friday night that the modern traffic light system is up and running in 18 intersections in Cebu City.

“The completion of our modernized comprehensive integrated traffic system is a significant event,” Labella said.

He noted that aside from the projected improvement in traffic flow and the reduction of accidents, “there is going to be an additional artificial intelligence system that can help us track criminal elements.”

Aside from the ceremonial lighting of the traffic lights, Labella also led the blessing and turnover to the CCTO of four brand-new heavy equipment vehicles that would complement the daily duties of traffic enforcers.

The CCTO has embarked on a project that will modernize not only the city’s traffic infrastructure but also the digital traffic system, set up in various intersections in the city, that would improve traffic flow, and public safety and security, the mayor said. 

MORE https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1135073

Then you get the BRT will never happen but,

Bus Rapid Transit in Cebu will be partially operational in December

Spoiler

The BRT will form part of Cebu’s Integrated and Intermodal Mass Transport System that will also feature a monorail system and a cable car system.

Department of Transportation (DOTr) Secretary Arthur Tugade said the BRT will have a “partial operability” by the end of the year which means four out of the 17 proposed BRT stations will already be utilized.

Tugade on Thursday morning inspected phase one of the BRT route which spans from the South Road Properties to the Cebu IT Park.

Civil works for the BRT is already underway. It includes the removal of center islands in the roads that will be covered by the BRT.

Office of the Presidential Assistant for the Visayas Secretary Michael Dino said the monorail that will connect to the BRT system will also be ready by the first quarter of next year.

Dino said proposals by private sector for the cable car have been submitted to National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) and the technical working group of the DOTr.

“We are still awaiting the approval of NEDA. But the NEDA technical board is already meeting over this and they are already taking care of this. Hopefully by first quarter of next year we can already start the monorail,” Dino said.

Officials here have previously said that the cable car is expected to connect Mount Busay and other upland villages in Cebu City to the urban centers in Metro Cebu.

https://mb.com.ph/2021/05/06/bus-rapid-transit-in-cebu-will-be-partially-operational-in-december/

So things change. I recall a lot of laughing about a third bridge for Matcan and it will never happen.

6 month or more old photos but you get my point.

CCLEX-Construction-Update-July-2020-1-1024x683.jpg   - 3rd bridge.jpg

Bicycle lanes

Bike lanes in 24 roads completed in Cebu City

Spoiler

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Cebu City has completed bike lanes on 24 roads that are now passable for city bikers

This after almost a year since Mayor Edgardo Labella has promised to open bike lanes for those who have chosen to ride bikes due to the lack of public transportation during the Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ).

“We have completed the bike lanes on 24 roads in Cebu City with the help of the Department of Public Works and Highways in Region 7 (DPWH-7). Subay kini sa Cebu City Ordinance 2408 alang sa pagpatuman og bike-friendly areas sa atong kadalanan to ensure the safety of bicycle commuters.”

“Gituyo sab nato nga looped ang bike lanes sa siyudad so that bikers can access them without interruption,” said Labella.

So far, major thoroughfares such as V. Rama Avenue, Osmeña Boulevard, Natalio Bacalso Highway, Colon Street, Imus Street, General Maxilom Avenue, and other downtown areas now have bike lanes.

The City Planning Office has designed the bike lane to go on a loop so that the bikers can travel without interruption.

The Sugbo Bike Lanes Board (SBLB) has been tasked to implement the bike lane ordinance and the mayor said he is satisfied with how the project was implemented.

Recently, the Cebu City Transportation Office (CCTO) has warned motorists that they cannot block the bike lanes by parking there.

Public utility vehicles have designated stops where they may load and unload passengers, while private vehicles will be cited or clamped if they park on the bike lanes.

“Giawhag nako ang mga motorista ug mga driver sa sakyanan nga dili tawon i-block ug himuong parking areas ang atong mga bike lane kay aron luwas ang mangagi sa maong dalan. The CCTO will also see to it nga any vehicle caught parking on our bike lanes will be apprehended and towed,” said the mayor.

The mayor encouraged bikers and motorists to work together to keep the streets in the city safe and accident-free. /rcg

Read more: https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/366428/bike-lanes-in-24-roads-completed-in-cebu-city#ixzz6uBUOunsO

More bike lanes

DOTr eyes completion of 140-km Metro Cebu bike lane network on May 31

Spoiler

CEBU CITY, Philippines — The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is eyeing to have the entire 140-kilometer bike-lane network in Metro Cebu up and running by May 31.

Officials from the DOTr made this announcement during a press conference here on Thursday, May 6.

“We’re aiming for the entire network to be completed this May 31,” said Asec. Mark Steven Pastor of DOTr’s Road Transport and Infrastructure division.

Pastor also reported that civil works for the entire network of bike lanes here are already at 66 percent, covering approximately 90 kilometers.

Metro Cebu’s bike lane network covers four cities – Talisay, Cebu, Mandaue, and Lapu-Lapu, and is a joint project among local governments, DOTr, and the Department of Public Works and Highway in Central Visayas (DPWH-7)

On Thursday morning, Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade led the inspection of the 2.3-kilometer bike lane situated along Cebu South Coastal Road (CSCR) in the South Road Properties (SRP), Cebu City.

Ceremonial biking was also conducted there at that time.

While some parts of Metro Cebu’s bike lane network can already be used by bikers now, works are still ongoing to ensure their effectiveness, said Pastor.

These ranged between putting up safety lights and widening the lanes themselves.

“More work needs to be done. (In SRP), may aayusin pa,” he added.

The bike lane found in SRP is classified as a Class 1 bike lane with a width of five meters.

It also features a three-kilometer pedestrian sidewalk separated from the bike lane, a shed for bike racks and benches, and solar studs that light up during nighttime to guide bikers, read portions of the press release by DOTr.

“Additionally, the section also has planters for the provision of greeneries and trees that will be planted along the bike path to give cyclists a comfortable ride,” the agency added.  /rcg

Read more: https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/376542/dotr-eyes-completion-of-140-km-metro-cebu-bike-lane-network-on-may-31#ixzz6uBUyT7BG

Sorry for long and revised topic but what I see for at least in Cebu is a lot of modernisation and these things take time.

:tiphat:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

The positive transit improvements taking place in Cebu City and outline areas is amazing and long over due. Traffic is gridlocked for hours every day so this is all a great start.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Where shall we meet for a free round of beers

Yep.  Looks like lots of progress so I must owe you a beer next time I am in Cebu.

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yep.  Looks like lots of progress so I must owe you a beer next time I am in Cebu.

Meet you there then Dave! 

I'll be wearing my "Official Tambay" tee shirt. Please place a 1,000 peso note on your forehead like last time so we will know you? It's been awhile and we were all drinking. :cheers::7500:

• Haha 3

RBM
Posted
Posted

After living some years in Cebu this is hard to believe although it seems to be happening. 

Bicycle lanes, well unless they put concrete barriers along side the lanes it simply will not work.

• Love it 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 5/10/2021 at 8:09 AM, RBM said:

Bicycle lanes, well unless they put concrete barriers along side the lanes it simply will not work.

Here in the IT park they have plastic bollards bolted to the road. Cant park there as they are close together so do work. In Manila on youtube I see operations targeting violations on bike lanes.

They now have bike lane enforcers in the story below

Spoiler

Motorists who use designated bicycle lanes in Cebu City as parking area will be apprehended and their vehicles towed away beginning May, according to a report by SunStar.

Lawyer Gerardo Carillo, chairman of the Sugbo Bike Lanes Board (SBLB), said 30 enforcers on bicycles will be deployed beginning May. They are about to complete training on traffic laws and signs.

With their deployment, Carillo said full implementation of City Ordinance No. 2408, or The Sugbo Bike Lanes Ordinance, will begin next week.

At present, he said Cebu City Transportation Office (CCTO) personnel enforce the ordinance, but they could not cover all bike lanes in the city.

A total of 60 enforcers, led by retired police colonel Ranulfo Sebusa, will eventually be deployed across the city to ensure that the bike lanes are free of motor vehicles and safe for the bicycle riders.

Carillo said the enforcers have been deputized to enforce traffic laws and compliance to the bike lane ordinance.

They are authorized to issue citation tickets and order the removal of vehicles found on the bike lanes.

Carillo said he was informed by Cebu City Councilor Raymond Alvin Garcia that the City Council has approved the P20 million budget sought by the SBLB to enforce the bike lanes.

Part of the amount will be used to procure additional plastic bollards for the bike lanes on secondary roads. At present, only the bike lanes on the main roads have plastic bollards.

The budget will also finance the salaries of the deputized personnel, Carillo said. Each enforcer is required to have his own bicycle.

Aside from the enforcers deputized by the Cebu City Government, Carillo said the Alpha Kappa Rho (Akrho) fraternity has offered to deploy volunteer enforcers as force multipliers.

Other organizations have made similar offers.

City Ordinance 2408 was approved by the City Council in 2014 to provide shared priority bike lanes in designated roads in the city.

The Cebu City Government completed the bike lanes on 24 roads only this year.

Among the roads with 1.5-meter bike lanes are V. Rama Ave., Salvador St., Katipunan St., Tres de Abril St., Carlock St., B. Aranas St., Lakandula St., Tupas St., Magallanes St., Jakosalem St. Osmeña Blvd., Lapu-Lapu St. and Urdaneta St.

Others are M.J. Cuenco Ave., New Imus Road, F. Gochan St., F. Cabahug St., Cardinal Rosales Ave., Ayala Road, Gorordo Ave., Gen. Maxilom Ave., Fuente Osmeña Rotunda and B. Rodriguez St.

http://metronewscentral.net/dateline-cebu/vehicles-using-cebu-bike-lanes-to-be-apprehended

• Like 4