Expanding Out From The Comfort Zone

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Nobody speaks English in my city so my wife has to translate making it not easy to talk to anyone especially conversations. There is no Rotary nor zumba. There are some foreigners but they stay at home. The college graduates that we know must have got a backer to get them a pass in English.

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Anyway, my point is that I guess some people can move to the Philippines and be content being an outsider. But I think that if they gave it a chance (and exhibit a decent amount of patience and are easy-going), they will find the experience much more enjoyable by mingling with the Filipinos.

The funny thing is that I find this works no matter where you are in the world - some people just can't figure that out though, can they...!  Thanks, John!

:tiphat:

• Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

Anyway, my point is that I guess some people can move to the Philippines and be content being an outsider. But I think that if they gave it a chance (and exhibit a decent amount of patience and are easy-going), they will find the experience much more enjoyable by mingling with the Filipinos.

The funny thing is that I find this works no matter where you are in the world - some people just can't figure that out though, can they...!  Thanks, John!

The only challenge I would have to what you said, Bob-and the reason the Philippines to me is unique in this topic, is the general understanding of the English language-to varying degrees-yes, but I can't see myself learning a whole new language in any most other countries just to try to have a conversation with anyone, let alone make friends with them-something that to me sets them apart.... IMHO.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The funny thing is that I find this works no matter where you are in the world - some people just can't figure that out though, can they...! Thanks, John!

The only challenge I would have to what you said, Bob-and the reason the Philippines to me is unique in this topic, is the general understanding of the English language-to varying degrees-yes, but I can't see myself learning a whole new language in any most other countries just to try to have a conversation with anyone, let alone make friends with them-something that to me sets them apart.... IMHO.

You'd be surprised! My first round on Germany, I knew more of the language before I left than when I came back a few years later... Why? Because it was always a battle! "I practice my English" "no! I need to practice my German" "we practice English or you get no beer"... At that point I always gave in! I eventually lost a lot of my knowledge of the German language. It was like that many places I've been. I learned a bit of Kurdish back in the 80s... Think it got me there? Nope! But it did make me the butt of many jokes in a bar I moonlit in... And saved my butt when the Kurdish mafia came to town. I knew about enough to say " hello lady, you have drink with me?" And I could count to 20. Got me a ride in a big black limo for a "dinner" engagement with the big guy who had body guard with really big bulges under their jackets... And I got to once again practice my English! :)

• Like 1

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

Never lend money to a Filipino.

NEVER EVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES lend money to an expat.

Follow those 2 rules when making friends.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

finding some good Filipino friends. I'm by no means a shy person, but I am quiet.   In the states, I do have many friends, but they are all volleyball players and that's pretty much all I talk about with them.

Then my friend you will soon Fit in cos if they ain't talking Volleyball it will be Basketball or Boxing if Paqui has a match coming up.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Hey Steve

My slant on it,

It was said to me a long while ago, when you marry a filipina, you marry the family!

So find yourself activities beyond the family circle,preferably of mixed nationalities to keep the balance and your sanity

regards John :tiphat:

• Like 1