Sample Budget - Feedback?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I got it at a hardware store, but don't know what they call them.

They call them 'electrocution waiting to happen'  :hystery:  Yeah I bought one to heat the kids swimming pool with and got shocked from a wet wooden stick that I was using to fish out a rag from the pool while the heater was plugged in.  I only paid 500 for it so I gave it to Whippy when he was visiting.  He is the only guy I knew, until now, who was cheap enough to use that contraption once he knew I got a shock from it.  :mocking:

• Like 2

jkeenan213
Posted
Posted

Hahaha.  I have seen small versions years ago.  They used to have them in cheap hotels for heating water in a cup for instant coffee.  Metal coil with a plastic handle.  But if you pulled it out of the water before unplugging, the coil melted, and it wasn't pretty.  I believe they were banned.  I'm just picturing a giant one in a swimming pool.  Hahaha.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
otherwise with out touching my nest egg i would like to get by with 120,000 pesos per month, just me and my wife.
should i be worried?
Well. You told a while ago about your expensive habbits, but if you adjust that to more normal - if needed - you don't need to wiorry much   :)    

I know an EIGHTEEN person Filipin family, who live TWO YEARS of LESS than you have for ONE MONTH...

I expect I can manage a 4-5 persons family at 40 - 50 000p/month (After startup costs. Plus VISA and one economy class trip per year to Europe for only me.)

• 10 months later...
jkeenan213
Posted
Posted

Here we go.  Economy set me back a bit, but pulling the trigger.  Target date June, 2016.  House is on market, liquidating all assets now.  Will be sad to see the Harley go, rest is just "stuff" that I am happy to divest of.  Sending balikbayan boxes to sister-in-law with essentials (some clothes, bit of kitchen stuff, most hand and mechanics tools, keepsakes) monthly, she will store/hold.  Working on paperwork/legal/banking for move now. It's definitely on.  Already thinking in pesos vs USD and SM vs SF, Rosetta Stone and wife are polishing my Tagalog.

Myself, younger (obviously) pinay wife, two wee ones under 4.  Already have property in province area near Anda, Bohol, 1800 SM on provincial road facing sea.  Building house, bahay kubo (for in-laws during construction/guests/domestic/possible rental), sari-sari/cafe (for the wife, budgeted at break-even), carport, gardens, all but store/cafe in walled complex.  Construction, permits, architect all budgeted separately.  I and father-in-law both have construction experience, my education is in engineering, I will manage, he will foreman (no kano pricing), now looking for architect.  Rent during construction (12 months est.) and vehicle purchase also budgeted separately.

Will have net PI income of approx. 65K/month PHP shortly after arrival (that's what makes this work), that and cash will build house and help bridge 3 yr gap to SSI at 62 (maybe later).  With wee ones, monthly SSI will be $3-4K/month USD once it kicks in.  Not touching retirement funds and US investments (principal or interest) in this budget, that's my emergency/bugout/kids college/older kids weddings.  Term life being paid out of dividends so wife/kids are set when inevitable happens hopefully decades down the line.

No rent but some taxes, 185 SM house with two CR (for upkeep cost estimates), kitchen inside/dirty kitchen out, debating well vs. municipal water, septic. Simple life with plenty of beer, no malls, no Boracay, no girls, no gambling.  Remote province costs, but water/cable/electricity/phone/markets all available.  But big well-built earthquake and typhoon resistant house.  Wife is province-raised, very frugal, household is 100% hers to manage (no kano pricing, again).  My monthly budget, I welcome any/all commentary on line items or in general, it's important I get this right:

ONGOING EXPENSE       Utilities       Electric 3,500 month   Propane 250 month   Tap water (if not well) 250 month   Internet 900 month   Cable TV 600 month   Telephone 750 month   Bottled water 500 month   Generator fuel 500 month   Garbage 200 month   Banking/Legal       Taxes 800 month   Bank fees/Legal 1,300 month   Transportation       Auto expense 1,800 month   Transportation other 1,000 month   Medical 12,000 month   Travel       Travel (US) 4,500 month 1x yearly Travel (domestic) 700 month 4x yearly Postage/shipping 675 month   Housing       House, maintenance 1,500 month   Household 4,000 month   Domestic/driver/security 5,000 month   Groceries 14,000 month   Clothing 1,500 month   Leisure       Entertainment 4,500 month   Dining out 2,500 month   Misc 1,500 month           sh%ts & giggles @ 5% of ttl exp 3,236 month           TOTAL EXPENSE 67,961    

• Like 4