Cebuano Or Tagalog

rfhypnos
Posted
Posted

I have started to study Tagalog since my fiancé is working in Makati, but is from Bohol.   I am wondering if it makes more sense to study that dialect?  And is it more or less difficult.  I know Amazon has considerable material for either.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I would suggest Cebuano, but a better bet is ask your friend which is more useful?

• Like 2

anthonytt
Posted
Posted

What I can tell you is that study material for cebuano (bisaya) is harder to come across than tagolog. Also, I've found there are a lot of slang words used in cebuano. I actually just got an app for my IPhone just search cebuano to English. I'm sure android has one too. I also bought a cebuano English dictionary for P1,100 in National Bookstore in Ayala mall. Good luck. Just be thankful you don't need to study ilonggo !

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

I am going to try and pick up a smattering of whatever seems useful but l am not going to try to become fluent in any of the more than 100 languages and dialects here. I barely speak American-ized English, my birth language.

• Like 5

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted

No matter what you learn, they will still not understand you. When and I mean when, they talk their own language properly you may get a conversation. We have gone back to English in our house. 

:hystery:

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted
arch cebuano to English. I'm sure android has one too. I also bought a cebuano English dictionary for P1,100 in National Bookstore in Ayala mall.
Will do that, because when I try teaching my fiance English, its just like watching this... :1 (103): :th_unfair: . She can understand some or most words, its the pace at which I sometimes speak that that bogs her down.
  • Like 2

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

I have started to study Tagalog since my fiancé is working in Makati, but is from Bohol.   I am wondering if it makes more sense to study that dialect?  And is it more or less difficult.  I know Amazon has considerable material for either.  

Finding any complete courses in Bisaya/Cebuano can be more difficult than finding Tagalog from what I have found. I have, however found a complete course and can get you in contact with the linguist that constructed this course through PM if you want. It's helped me tremendously-just an option if needed.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

If you know where you will settle probably, then I would study that  (But TV is in Tagalog if you want to look at Filipin soap operas   :)

(Cebuano is a dialect of Visaya if you ment something else.)  Rather many Visayans don't like Tagalog, because they are grumpy the Visaya language didn't became an official language too, it was almost as big as Tagalog back then,

Scruffydawg
Posted
Posted (edited)

does not matter. She will switch languages when she is mad and you and talk to her friends

Edited by Scruffydawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1