Cebuano Or Tagalog

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I believe Ollongo is the language of Iloilo, that is the language were I am too. Saying that, they all seem to slip between Cebuano and Tagalog as well, depending on who they are talking to.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Saying that, they all seem to slip between Cebuano and Tagalog as well, depending on who they are talking to.
Bit like Scots and the welsh :hystery:  and they don't talk to each other either!

JP :tiphat:

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)
I accompanied two of my Filipino friends to visit their father two islands away in Iloilo. I honestly don't recall if they spoke Cebuano in Iloilo, but they DID speak Cebuano on the island in between (Negros Occidental). However, my friends could not communicate in Cebuano because the dialect was radically different. They reverted to speaking Tagalog in order to be understood.

Iloilo & Negros Occidental (Bacolod) use Ilonggo Whereas Negros Oriental (Dumaguette) & Cebu use Cebuano.

Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
canadamale
Posted
Posted

MOA (mall of asia) national book store  I'D LIKE TO SPEAK FILIPINO 1,2,3,4 author Victoria P. Carlos, consists of workbooks and cds, i'm a very slow learner aaaarg, but they did help me learn new words and phrases/grammer

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Don't think for a moment your GFs don't relish the fact that you don't understand all they are saying. No matter how hard you try, they will elude you understanding the conversation, the biggest reason is as old as time itself.......They are woman! Woman want to talk to other woman and don't want men in the mix.....that's every woman in the world.  Remember Mars and Venus comparison.....Men will never communicate the way woman do, it starts at a very young age..if you don't believe me those of you with daughters, take the time and watch how they talk to other girls already.  Woman can't even go to the bathroom alone, they all go together, just to have a conversation...it's automatic. My wife speaks what ever language the person who is talking to her speaks. Tagalog, Visaya, English....I remember thinking how great it would be to talk to her in her native language, but the fact is, her English is in someways better than mine. Korean was easier for me to learn than Tagalog or Cebuano, I gave up long ago. Of course I'm a lot older, and don't hear as well, that plays a roll in my ability to learn a new language as well. I have a friend who used Rosetta-Stone for Tagalog and did real well with it, but he's a bit younger and motivated by his search of young woman.  That kind of motivation left me long ago. But might explain why and how I learned Korean so well back in my 20's.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Remember Mars and Venus comparison...
Yes. Men and women have problem to understand each other, when having SAME first language and are from SAME culture too   :mocking:
  • Like 2

Petey
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have an ok understanding of Tagalog. But when people realise i have an understanding they will slip deeper Tagalog to throw me out of the convo. That angers me.

I have tried intergrating here with speaking some of the basic phrases but i get looked at as im an idiot... then they laugh. :1 (103):  So now i don't intergrate and just deal with people if i ABSOLUTLY have to. Even going to McDonald's ill go in and order rather than go to the drive-thru. Maybe because British English is quicker than other English accents. Also the terminology and accronyms here really mess me up. American English/ Tagalog = Learning 2 languages to a British person.

I too a USB stick back to the shop where i bought it with OR ( Official Reciept - didnt know that when accronym when i got here :rolleyes: ). I told the lady it was : The convo...

Me : "Excuse me. This USB is broken could you exchange it po"

Teller : "Po"?

Me : "Doesnt work"

Teller : "Po"?

Me : "Its no good"!

Teller "Po"?

Me " Product is faulty"!

Teller "Po"?

Me : "Hindi install"!!!!!

Teller : Po"?

Teller "Ohhh... sorry Sir. You mean Defective"?

Me : ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teller : "Sorry Sir. Not under waranty"

:1 (103):

20 minutes of my life lost. So i found out that if an item is electrical and its faulty... its DEFECTIVE :bash:

Edited by Petey
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Yes. Men and women have problem to understand each other, when having SAME first language and are from SAME culture too  

No Different to the rest of the world then Aye?  :no:

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Yes. Men and women have problem to understand each other, when having SAME first language and are from SAME culture too  

No Different to the rest of the world then Aye?  :no:

I ment it's harder when having different culture and first language, because then it's that AND the normal man/woman understanding problem  :)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
I ment it's harder when having different culture and first language, because then it's that AND the normal man/woman understanding problem 

Well I am so pleased we have that sorted out 

• Like 1