Death On The Roads Of Cebu

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

appears over the past few years over 374+ have died in road accidents in the CEBU area

At least 374 people have died out of 80.661 road accidents

in Cebu City from 2007 -2014,

the Cebu City Traffic Operations Management reported.

CITOM operations head Jonathan Tumulak said he divulged the number of deaths to support the World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims, which was commemorated yesterday.

“Among gipagawas ni agi og suporta sa paghinumdom sa traffic victims ug agi og awareness sa mga publiko nga magmatngon kanunay,” he pointed out.

According to the website worlddayofremembrance.org,

the World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims is commemorated every third Sunday of November each year “to remember the many millions killed and injured on the world’s roads, together with their families and many others also affected, as well as reflect on the tremendous burden and cost of this daily continuing disaster.”

According to Tumulak, most of the victims were identified as those who figured in self-accident involving motorcycle driving.

“Kadaghanan ani nila tungod gyud sa motor, naay nadasmagan, nabanggaan, nalagpot, ug lain-lain ni siya,” he said.

:

From January to October this year alone, at least 41 victims have been recorded to have died in road accidents in Cebu City.

The number of traffic victims was also recorded high in 2007 at 55; 2008 at 51; 2009 at 46; 2010 at 40; 2011 at 51; 2012 at 43; and 2013 at 47.

For the road accidents, 11,031 were recorded in 2007; 10,209 in 2008; 10, 458 in 2009; 10,046 in 2010; 9,469 in 2011; 10,027 in 2012; and 10,679 in 2013. From January to October this year, CITOM has recorded 8,742 accidents.

here are the areas most deadly highlighted in RED

Tumulak said that most of the accidents recorded happened in the north of CEBU CITY

where there are lots of intersections  

such as at the North Reclamation area,

,Mabolo

Lahug

,Talamban among others.

He said that CITOM has deployed more traffic enforcers in these areas to implement the traffic code and avoid further accidents.

“Nag-deputize na pud gani ta sa mga barangay tanods para motabang sa atong mga CITOM enforcers mo-implementar sa balaud,” he said.

The CITOM official is hoping that motorists and the public will help in the implementation of City Ordinance 801 or the Traffic Code of Cebu City.

Meanwhile, Tumulak said that CITOM is still waiting for the response of the Department of Education on its letter last year requesting to include traffic education in elementary classes.

He said CITOM is willing to provide lecturers since they have 10 to 15 personnel in the education section.

“Kun magsugod man gud tun-an ning mga bata sa traffic education, dako og possibility nga madala ni nila inig dako nila ug agi ni’g mitigating effort man lang sa road accidents,” he stressed.

As of press time, Tumulak said they have not yet received any feedback from DepEd regarding the request. (FREEMAN)

http://www.philstar.com/cebu-news/2014/11/17/1392723/374-dead-city-road-accidents

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
At least 374 people have died out of 80.661 road accidents in Cebu City from 2007 -2014,

Interesting number.  I would have guessed much more than that.  It got me looking for stats on Wiki and I found that Philippines only has 9.1 deaths per 100,000 pop per year while the US has 11.6 road fatalities per 100,000 pop per year.

I guess they drive pretty bad in the US, considering the cars are built safer and all.  Probably has a lot to do with the speed people travel at in the US. compared to the slow collision speeds here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

• Like 1

gusincebu
Posted
Posted

I would think that probably a lot more than that die in Cebu, but outside the city limits , ie province .. especially motorbikes , as helmets are rarely worn, and the bus and truck drivers just lose their minds on the provincial highways.

robert k
Posted
Posted

The slow speeds definitely are a factor. In three days 2 of which in a borrowed car in Dumaguete and Sibulan, I have been rear ended by one motorcycle and one trike. In a trike myself today I had a multicab driver back into the trike.

Damage? I think the motorcycle driver who rear ended me needs to have that wheel relaced, I think the trike driver regularly uses vehicles to stop because his brakes are bad and the only damage from the multicab backing into the trike I was a passenger in was paint. It's more fun in the Philippines.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
 It got me looking for stats on Wiki and I found that Philippines only has 9.1 deaths per 100,000 pop per year while the US has 11.6 road fatalities per 100,000 pop per year.

The USA has far more cars per 100,000 pop than the PI does. From the same chart, it shows 128.1 fatalities per 100,000 cars in PI but only 13.6 fatalities per 100,000 cars in USA. Big difference. The method of driving is quite different.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

I would think that probably a lot more than that die in Cebu, but outside the city limits , ie province .. especially motorbikes , as helmets are rarely worn, and the bus and truck drivers just lose their minds on the provincial highways.

Correct my guess would be less than half are reported. 

We have just returned from a couple of weeks in Cebu, had the car and was driving most days. The standard of driving in Cebu, even allowing for Asia standards is deplorable. Almost every day we witnessed an accident, none serious. The cutting in of taxis. jeeps and the 4X4s  was disgusting.

Having lived over 3 years in Cebu  until early last year it some how feels much worse to me. For sure the number of cars are increasing as are the bikes. How on earth is the proposed  bicycle lane going to work in Cebu? 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

He said that CITOM has deployed more traffic enforcers in these areas to implement the traffic code and avoid further accidents.

Edited by Jack Peterson

RBM
Posted
Posted

Well Jack we live in hope, sure as heck hope it pans out as planed.