Top 5 Drinks?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Great point about ice from JJ. Remember to drink bottled water. Its called Mineral Water, most places stock it.

If you catch a cold with sore throat (common in Philippines) hot Calamansi and honey is very helpful.

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

When visiting a foreign country, the World Health Organization recommends adults consume beer from a bottle (no ice or use of a container) as the beverage of choice. Luckily for you, the Philippines has excellent beer.

I have always thought that ice in beer is a travesty but it is very popular in SEA

• Like 4

Larry45
Posted
Posted

When visiting a foreign country, the World Health Organization recommends adults consume beer from a bottle (no ice or use of a container) as the beverage of choice. Luckily for you, the Philippines has excellent beer.

I have always thought that ice in beer is a travesty but it is very popular in SEA

Yeah, it's not preferable and changes the taste, but in many places you have no choice.  Unless you like warm beer   :(

As for the top five drinks the locals enjoy (in ascending order of cost/drink):

1.  Tuba...as was said, if your stomach isn't irritated, your sense of smell likely will be.  A good alternative variety is the aged tuba (bahalina) which tastes like a cheap red wine.  Very drinkable, the bahalina.

2.  Tanduay...a high quality rum that mixes well and is easy on the wallet.  80 proof.

3.  Emperador light....a nice brandy that can be consumed straight up.  I like mine chilled.  55 proof.

4.  Red Horse beer....7% alcohol with a strong taste.  Some people don't like it, but it's surprisingly good with salt and lime.  

5.  San Miguel Pilsen beer...SMB...5% alcohol and an award winning, excellent quality beer.  And according to the back of certain bottles, it is "The only beer that nourishes true Filipino friendships."   Not sure what that is saying about guys that drink Red Horse, but it's not complimentary :)

You might try a San Miguel LIght (SML) while you are here, just so you know it's not very good.  If you're in a place that only serves SML, you're in the wrong place. Have fun and report back!

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

I can top 5 drinks,  when I was younger I had consumed 12-16 plus more but I can't recall for sure.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Muktadir
Posted
Posted

Yeah, it's not preferable and changes the taste, but in many places you have no choice.  Unless you like warm beer   :(

As for the top five drinks the locals enjoy (in ascending order of cost/drink):

1.  Tuba...as was said, if your stomach isn't irritated, your sense of smell likely will be.  A good alternative variety is the aged tuba (bahalina) which tastes like a cheap red wine.  Very drinkable, the bahalina.

2.  Tanduay...a high quality rum that mixes well and is easy on the wallet.  80 proof.

3.  Emperador light....a nice brandy that can be consumed straight up.  I like mine chilled.  55 proof.

4.  Red Horse beer....7% alcohol with a strong taste.  Some people don't like it, but it's surprisingly good with salt and lime.  

5.  San Miguel Pilsen beer...SMB...5% alcohol and an award winning, excellent quality beer.  And according to the back of certain bottles, it is "The only beer that nourishes true Filipino friendships."   Not sure what that is saying about guys that drink Red Horse, but it's not complimentary :)

You might try a San Miguel LIght (SML) while you are here, just so you know it's not very good.  If you're in a place that only serves SML, you're in the wrong place. Have fun and report back!

Thank you. I already tasted Tanduay and Sun mig light and apple. Loved them. Will taste others in next visit :)

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

The top 5 drinks are the ones that you can buy when it comes to the end of the month and you are at the end of your budget.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
kazualteaze69
Posted
Posted

Hehe..made me thirsty..i want to drink the phils..been watching youtube videos for months..you guys are great. :).......the coconut sounds right on

• 2 weeks later...
Czechman
Posted
Posted

Great point about ice from JJ. Remember to drink bottled water. Its called Mineral Water, most places stock it.

If you catch a cold with sore throat (common in Philippines) hot Calamansi and honey is very helpful.

Even though this is a bit off-topic (;-o) I caught that horrific sore throat followed by that horrific cold after about a month of living here! My gf at the time (probably contracted  from her anyway!), used fresh-squeezed lemons (the lil green ones), with honey and water and it worked well, soothed my throat and most of the time, even stopped my annoying hacking cough!

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
  Even though this is a bit off-topic (;-o) I caught that horrific sore throat followed by that horrific cold after about a month of living here! My gf at the time (probably contracted  from her anyway!), used fresh-squeezed lemons (the lil green ones), with honey and water and it worked well, soothed my throat and most of the time, even stopped my annoying hacking cough!

Warm the water and add rum to double the size

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I don't wait until I get sick... That's my favorite drink!

:D

• Like 1