Hollow Blocks

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I was advised to have higher ceiling for cooling, guess 10 ft. 

Although its too late for me, I got advice about ceilings and the answer was high roof rather than high ceiling.  It seems (in Dumaguete anyway) that local builders believe that a high roof with a large, well ventilated attic area, will provide a cool living space in the area below.  Seems to work where I rent.  The opposite makes for a hot house  (which I unfortunately learned the hard way).

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I got advice about ceilings and the answer was high roof rather than high ceiling.

Absolutely Spot on, I have a 3 meter ceiling and then another 4 meter roof  area to the Apex. descending down to a .5 meter high roof above the ceiling level at the lowest point. still Hot at times but not an Oven.The  Roof then has a 1 meter overhang and is well vented.

post-2148-0-99376000-1418787655_thumb.jp

JP

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

You can see the Roof Apex a little better in this one.

post-2148-0-54586700-1418787993_thumb.jp

JP

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I got advice about ceilings and the answer was high roof rather than high ceiling.

Absolutely Spot on, I have a 3 meter ceiling and then another 4 meter roof  area to the Apex. descending down to a .5 meter high roof above the ceiling level at the lowest point. still Hot at times but not an Oven.The  Roof then has a 1 meter overhang and is well vented.

attachicon.gifRoof size.jpg

JP

Jack, you mentioned that the overhang is well vented but do you have any venting at the top of the roof?   It is essential to have air movement through the entire attic area to keep the house cool - soffit vents alone don't give enough air flow!

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I was advised to have higher ceiling for cooling, guess 10 ft. 

Although its too late for me, I got advice about ceilings and the answer was high roof rather than high ceiling.  It seems (in Dumaguete anyway) that local builders believe that a high roof with a large, well ventilated attic area, will provide a cool living space in the area below.  Seems to work where I rent.  The opposite makes for a hot house  (which I unfortunately learned the hard way).

Actually both ways are good to have!  A well vented attic area will keep the house below cooler simply because the heat is not trapped.  Higher ceilings can allow for more air flow through the house as well...  I always recommend trying to get transoms put over doorways to allow for better airflow.  A friend of mine took my recommendation and tried it in his house in Costa Rica...  He now only uses ceiling fans to cool his house in even the hottest weather!

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Jack, you mentioned that the overhang is well vented but do you have any venting at the top of the roof?   It is essential to have air movement through the entire attic area to keep the house cool - soffit vents alone don't give enough air flow!

Yes Bob, the Apex roll cover is raised about 4 inches and grilled/ meshed, to stop  birds etc from Getting in.

RBM
Posted
Posted

always recommend trying to get transoms put over doorways to allow for better airflow.

Bob could you please elaborate a little on this.

• 4 weeks later...
kazualteaze69
Posted
Posted

Im a bricklayer stone mason here in usa.i started to look into the construction practices there in phils.i watched videos of the process making hollow block there which the curing process is different.here the block standards are 8" minimum with concrete footings being poured.of course foundations are required locally to be 36" below frost line..key word frost..lol..cant wait to take that out of the equation. .i am curious if the mixing ratios are standard there..mortar for block laying is 1:1:3. Portland cement :lime:sand concrete 1:2:3 cement sand crushed stone...things to note about lime are...lime allows plastcity but also shrinkage and cracking when laying stone no lime is used..im sure the climate difference there plays major factors in curing also.im rambling..lol..my point is careful with the lime..this isnt a mix drink..hehe..im actually wanting to get involved in some house construction projects there.learn from the locals and pass a few pointers

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Don't know much about cinderblocks in the states, but when we built our house I watched. If a block needed to be cut or reduced in size, they would hold it in one hand and just tap it with a hammer in the other.

..im actually wanting to get involved in some house construction projects there.learn from the locals and pass a few pointers

I am going to suggest that you be very, very, very diplomatic about this. Filipinos seem to me to be very touchy when westerners try to give pointers. Even though you mean well, and are just trying to help a lot of times they take it as criticism.

There are several posts about building houses here, some are humorous some are sad and some are just unbelievable to those who were in the construction business. Just a fast story, they build our 2 story 1200 sf house using nothing but hammers, 1 hand held grinder, hacksaw, some hammers and shovels. most of the concrete was mixed by hand.  

You don't have a pic posted but if you still have hair, you will pull it out watching lolol

• Like 1

kazualteaze69
Posted
Posted

Pretty awesome...made me laugh..yes i noticed the ill say "rough" skills and hammers.so i will be careful.love my brickhammer. Dont leave home without it.lol..and yes..myself if i lay brick on a house veneer here i dont let another mason work my wall..priors resulted in customers noticeing the areas on wall i worked and another mason was diffrrent..so i know what your saying about criticism. .i know how to stay out of the way..i also watched a youtube video on the baboo builders there..very simple tools but quite crafty.nice work