Hollow Blocks

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just for fun, this was our construction site. Pay special attention to the safety equipment that's in use :bonk:

post-1638-0-27482100-1421200980_thumb.jp

Edited by scott h
  • Like 1

Geoff Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi all.

We are using E-Core Blocks are made of Concrete and Fired Clay Aggregate “FCA”.

Due to its pore structure the FCA is highly thermal insulating (heat from outside) and at the same time

coolness (cooler inside temperatures) accumulating. Furthermore, the sphere 's interior with very fine pores absorbs the sound. Its ability to take in water vapour and to emit it again regulates the atmospheric humidity and thus additionally provides a pleasant indoor climate.

Being a non-combustible building product. FCA belongs to the highest grading classification A1 (F180) and features a temperature resistance of more than 1,100 °C. Every FCA sphere is surrounded by a protecting surface of cement clinker, the interior contains self-contained pores. Consequently, humidity cannot be spread over the sphere.

FCA is both mechanically resistant and chemically inert. Neither acids nor alkaline solutions attack the expanded clay. FCA is neutral in water, it is odourless and does neither rot nor go mouldy. A further special property: dimensional stability. FCA doesn't jolt subsequently. Consequently, one cubic meter of FCA lastingly fills a cell of exactly one cubic meter.

Whilst we are in fact the guinea pigs for these blocks in the Philippines we have just had numerous structural integrity tests taken out on the block and the whole system by the University of San Carlos, Department of Civil Engineering, in the Construction Material Laboratory. 
All columns and block walls passsed all testing and have been given the green light by the structural engineers. 
It has been a bit of a headache and has taken some time to achieve slowing down our build progress, but the end results have been worth it and the future of this well known system in other countries should now take off here. 

Application:

Exterior Walls: 180mm, 145mm wall thickness, load bearing Interior Walls : 115mm, 95mm non load bearing

Specifications:

Blocks are interlocking at the ends and at corners (male, female profile)

Blocks are laid up using thin layer mortar with a joint line of 3mm (Tile adhesive). Tile

adhesive has a tensile strength of also 2100 psi, once fully cured so blocks and joints have the same strength.

U profile Blocks for making beams without form work. (for 180mm and 145mm blocks)

The inner part will be reinforced and poured with appropriate concrete.

Reinforcement can penetrate adjacent block.

Column Blocks 300mm x 300mm

Columns can be built up together with walls without form work. In each corner of the block is a provision for continuous reinforcement bars which can be inserted and filled up with concrete.

Interlink profiles to adjacent blocks/walls are possible and can be customized. Columns also can be interlinked to beams.

Concept of E core Blocks:

The entire masonry work is almost free of water during and after installation of E core blocks, using thin layer mortar (tile adhesive).

No dehydration – Curing time, No cracks.

The rough surface gives an excellent bonding to plastering which can be done with minimal

thickness or skim coats. Since E blocks do not absorb moisture fast, plaster can dry slowly.

Result: No cracks

Openings in walls as doors and windows are defined by the precise fitting and dimensions of

the blocks, no need for plastering.

No need for form work of beams or columns. Work can be continuous without waiting times

Less Mobilization, no mixing of mortar if using tile adhesive and skim coat.

Significantly increased working progress, 30m2 wall/ day for a small skilled grew is possible.

For more details or actual pictures of our construction to date please check out our fb pag
Or message me fore company/suppliers details

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
removed link, advertising ceased a long time ago as you did not wish to renew besides its a different part of your business
  • Like 3

kazualteaze69
Posted
Posted

Wow.im impressed..nice pics.lil blurry but nice work...how thick is the concrete slab pour? Looks heafty wire and all. :) looks like your castle is in good hands

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Im a bricklayer stone mason here in usa.i started to look into the construction practices there in phils.i watched videos of the process making hollow block there which the curing process is different.here the block standards are 8" minimum with concrete footings being poured.of course foundations are required locally to be 36" below frost line..key word frost..lol..cant wait to take that out of the equation. .i am curious if the mixing ratios are standard there..mortar for block laying is 1:1:3. Portland cement :lime:sand concrete 1:2:3 cement sand crushed stone...things to note about lime are...lime allows plastcity but also shrinkage and cracking when laying stone no lime is used..im sure the climate difference there plays major factors in curing also.im rambling..lol..my point is careful with the lime..this isnt a mix drink..hehe..im actually wanting to get involved in some house construction projects there.learn from the locals and pass a few pointers

I don't remember the proportions, but the "Filipino" mixture is "as litle cement as possible"    :mocking:

Somewhere in this forum an expat told about he tested hollow blocks by dropping them from around 1.5 meter.  The common ones crumbled, while them he did himself with enough cement, didn't break at all or got one crack.  So he made own ones for OWN use,

There are some companies making good ones in Phils too, but they are uncommon.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)
The common ones crumbled, while them he did himself with enough cement, didn't break at all or got one crack.  So he made own ones for OWN use, There are some companies making good ones in Phils too, but they are uncommon.

Thomas, you are making a general statement about the quality of cement blocks for the entire Philippines from one anecdotal report.

If you make the claim that it is uncommon for companies to make good cement blocks in the Philippines then you need to show a bit more evidence.

Of course, if you are building a home here it would be a good idea to verify the quality of materials being used and the quality of the workmanship.

Edited by earthdome
  • Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
it is uncommon for companies to make good cement blocks in the Philippines

Depends on your definition of good, wouldn't you say?

I mean most block makers use a similar method to make blocks here.  Most homes are made from these blocks.  Most homes do not fall down in the earthquakes or typhoons we have had.  Conclusion:  They are good enough.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

The common ones crumbled, while them he did himself with enough cement, didn't break at all or got one crack.  So he made own ones for OWN use, There are some companies making good ones in Phils too, but they are uncommon.

Thomas, you are making a general statement about the quality of cement blocks for the entire Philippines from one anecdotal report.

If you make the claim that it is uncommon for companies to make good cement blocks in the Philippines then you need to show a bit more evidence.

Of course, if you are building a home here it would be a good idea to verify the quality of materials being used and the quality of the workmanship.

I made the conclusion it's a common difference by SEVERAL sourses say the COMMON mix of CONCREETE in the Philippines use much less cement to make the mix cheaper - and weaker...

So I suppouse the COMMON is they put less cement in when they make hollow blocks too.

But don't forget I said the following also   :)  

There are some companies making good ones in Phils too, but they are uncommon.
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Philippines use much less cement to make the mix cheaper - and weaker...

As I have said before, get a smaller Block maker and get him to do some test blocks so that you can ascertain the Cement mix you want.

Buying off the shelf, so to speak will always be Hit and miss on Consistency.  :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Conclusion: They are good enough.

:th_thbestpost: IMHO

We tore down the house my Wife was raised in. Built over 50 years ago of Hollow block and re bar (very thin rebar at that). Walls and foundation still very sound.

When we rebuilt got a quote from 3 suppliers of building materials, all had blocks made by the 3 main manufacturers. All 3 said the more expensive was the best quality. All 3 were with in a few pesos of each other. We chose the best.

Can't speak for anyone else, but we started building when I was 55 years old. Like Dave implies, do I really care if it lasts more that 50 years? :thumbsup:

• Like 2