Hollow Blocks

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Can't speak for anyone else, but we started building when I was 55 years old. Like Dave implies, do I really care if it lasts more that 50 years?

WOW SCOTT! post-2148-0-22463700-1421374694_thumb.jp my kids would tell everyone they inherited a Slum Job!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
my kids would tell everyone

Aha, so know we are improving the strength of hollow blocks so our kids will inherit better quality cement.  :dance:   hmmmm.  But the reason for my reply is to comment that most kids I know, whatever country, only want to sell what the old man leaves behind and take the money.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
do I really care if it lasts more that 50 years?

You should, in time to come someone will be sitting on the balcony singing, "I did it my way" and they will be thinking of you, bless your soul.  :)

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Aha, so know we are improving the strength of hollow blocks so our kids will inherit better quality cement.  :dance:   hmmmm.  But the reason for my reply is to comment that most kids I know, whatever country, only want to sell what the old man leaves behind and take the money.  :rolleyes:

Oh!  In my family we have "inherited" some real estates, when the older are still ALIVE and don't want it no more.

E g

/Appartment in Central Stockholm.   My grandparents  > Oldest child when starting family > Second child when starting family  > Youngest (=third) child when starting family,   when the older wanted biger or more modern.

/Rural house.     My parents had it from I were 10 until a year ago.  No one of us children wanted it ourselves, because we had own rural houses allready, so the house "jumped" a generation, splited among them. Two of them had own houses allready and one is still to young. The fourth bought the parts from the others.

/Similar for some of my cousins

RBM
Posted
Posted

Dave something you may find interesting.

Recently have been chatting to an American engineer here whom has some projects on going.

His advice is add a little, like 1 liter of molasses into the 50 gal water drum. He says it substantially increases strength of the blocks, he has proved this with many tests.

Unfortunately to purchase one must buy 200 gallons, far to much for a house. Currently discussing with him a share process as he uses it in all concrete.

• Like 2

kazualteaze69
Posted
Posted

Rbm the molasses is very interesting

I imagine that may act like a masonry adhesive glue aditive.very cool...

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

It got me thinking about ants.  They eat everything here.  Why wouldn't they eat the molasses out of the hollow blocks?

• Like 1

kazualteaze69
Posted
Posted

It got me thinking about ants. They eat everything here. Why wouldn't they eat the molasses out of the hollow blocks?

kazualteaze69
Posted
Posted

Im practicing the quote option.lol...newb..maybe because its just a small amount of m9lasses..im sure if there werent easier food theyd find it..ants i think are the smartest in yhe world..qwik story.as kid i was into entomolgy insects..i set an ant trap lil tiny dome with poison..they found it in my garden took peice by piece in yhere hole.next day they were taking all yhe dwad ants out of the hole.ok heres the amazing part..the six lil doors or holes on yhe poison container.the entrances.thr ants took pieces of mulch and boarded off the entrances..i wish i video recorded yhem..this is true watched it with my own eyes..smart lil dudes

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
His advice is add a little, like 1 liter of molasses into the 50 gal water drum. He says it substantially increases strength of the blocks, he has proved this with many tests.

If the molasses were made into rum would it work?

that would take of the left overs for sure

• Like 1