Hollow Blocks

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
A wall collapsed during construction killing 12 and injuring 5.

I notice they spell out the owner of the wall.

Senior Superintendent Ferdinand Divina, Bulacan Police provincial director, said initial reports showed that the wall collapsed on the barracks of construction workers.  A certain Dante Chua owns the warehouse, reports said.

Sounds like they are implying that the owner of the wall is at fault.  So if I hire some guys to build a wall and it falls on them, am I liable to pay damages to them or their families?  That would tend to make me look a little more skeptical at those hollow blocks they are using.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
That would tend to make me look a little more skeptical at those hollow blocks they are using.

I have noticed a trend in Filipino journalism. They don't give (IMO) relevant information like how high was the wall when it fell (seems to be a fact that would be easy to get), but gives the name of the owner (for relatives to take to court maybe?). They also seem to start a story on one topic then devolve into deep back ground that at times doesn't really apply to the headline.

Not saying good or bad, just different styles I suppose.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

That would tend to make me look a little more skeptical at those hollow blocks they are using.

I have noticed a trend in Filipino journalism. They don't give (IMO) relevant information like how high was the wall when it fell (seems to be a fact that would be easy to get), but gives the name of the owner (for relatives to take to court maybe?). They also seem to start a story on one topic then devolve into deep back ground that at times doesn't really apply to the headline.

Not saying good or bad, just different styles I suppose.

I agree with the poor journalism. I read an article 2 or 3 times and still don't know who killed who and if they are still dead. I see that in our family when I try to find out something. I get bits and pieces of info not in order so I ask to start over from the beginning and use complete sentences. And that is from college students.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
So if I hire some guys to build a wall and it falls on them, am I liable to pay damages to them or their families?

I would think so, even if they were climbing over the wall or fastening something to it, the fault would be blamed on you. Living here is risky whether being an accident, a relationship, or a building because of the lack of law enforcement and insurance. Maybe there is third party liability insurance to cover damages from the wall. The locals see that you have the ability to pay. Maybe that is what they call "blessings."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
RBM
Posted
Posted

Think it was Jack whom advised me house building is one of the most stressful challenges one can do here. With this in mind I chose my engineer carefully meeting some expats whom houses he had constructed. All good with few hiccups so gave the go ahead.

Titles were issued and as promised gave him advance monies to purchase blocks and such erect bunk house stock supplies. All good as we have have a clear contract price with full details of what materials are to be used.

Two weeks ago as we departed for a businesss trip my last words were, hope the blue print is ready upon our return, with site plan so we can decide exact location of house. It's a smallish house on a large section.We want it positioned to obtain maximun views of sunset over Mt Canlaon. All good.

Now 111 days on just been advised he decided for us location of house and foundations already done......Going to be fire works soon....

Stress and we thought construction not yet started.....

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Yikes. That's colloquial American for wtf?!

Update, please.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
still don't know who killed who and if they are still dead

Most likely if they were dead once then they are still dead but I have been wrong before.  :rolleyes:

jpbago
Posted
Posted

still don't know who killed who and if they are still dead

Most likely if they were dead once then they are still dead but I have been wrong before.  :rolleyes:

1. They said the reason they worshipped on the first day, was because it was a weekly memorial of the day Jesus rose from the dead!