Part 2 - Can I Live On $2,000 A Month In The Philippines?

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Its like anything , some cannot live on that amount some can live and maybe save a little too, it all depends on you and your good lady for making the cash go further,

Thats around what my budget will be and i know that half that will be put away for saving each month, we are building our own home so when the time comes there will be no rent to pay, but as i say each to there own , good luck

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

That's an extremely expensive ticket from L.A. to PI. You can find one for under $1000 (round trip) if you shop around. Of course, it won't be business class, but at some point you gotta ask yourself where you will try to save some money.

$3,000 is the correct price for business class. On my next trip to Manila, I am looking at purchasing economy tickets from Los Angeles for around $1,000. On the return flight, assuming seats are available, you can upgrade to business class for $800. The return is when you need to catch up on your sleep. Comfortable sleeping is also helpful in resetting your Circadian clock.

There is a new class of service known as premium economy. I believe Philippine Airlines has started offering this service for long flights. The new business class seats extend to bed size. The premium economy seats are the old business class.

You have to be careful because each airline has a different definition. For Hawaiian Airlines, premium economy gives you 8 inches of additional legroom; early boarding privileges; free movies; etc. Not worth the high price. I made reservations on LAN between Miami, Florida and Cuenca, Ecuador. The main flight is between Miami and Quito. The additional charge of $160 for premium economy is worth the price because LAN does not offer business class on this flight. Our seats will be business class and the total price cheaper than economy class on American Airlines.

Edited by JJReyes

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

Dave, essentially, I agree with you that a purely (90-100%) Western Lifestyle would have few financial benefits in the Philippines, if any, if that's the choice of a retiree-unless of course the attraction to that cuture is overwhelmingly more attractive than that of his/her own country they are living in now. It depends, I suppose, on how much of your budget goes toward Western ammenities that are bult into your start up costs and/or your month to month expenses.

Conversely, my wife here in the US has very few American ammenities she wants to bring with her when we move, and looks forward to all that has been familiar to her. (except maybe bagels & cream cheese-lol)-she's addicted to the stuff-I'm her supplier.

• Like 1

UnCheckedOther
Posted
Posted

As soon as my thumbs find their way out of the snow piles of Boston, I'm holding them up to say heck ya to you, Jack. There is a difference between wants and needs, and oftentimes when people say they possibly canNOT live on 3k or whatever each month don't really want to. Merton's Theory of Self-Fulfilling Prophecy.

You can still have some of our Western comforts but just in a Filipino way or in moderation. You cannot have it all at 100% so you need to figure out which one is your top priority. Even when you're operating at 75 ot 80% of your ideal lifestyle, it's still yours.

The whole keeping up with the Joneses is BS, IMHO. Do they pay your bills, retirement, or your kids' education? Did they give birth to you or donate an organ to you? There's no need to impress them. You're not an important part of their lives, so why the heck would you waste yours trying to measure up to them?

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

The whole keeping up with the Joneses is BS, IMHO. Do they pay your bills, retirement, or your kids' education? Did they give birth to you or donate an organ to you? There's no need to impress them. You're not an important part of their lives, so why the heck would you waste yours trying to measure up to them?

Agreed but you would be very surprised at How many here from all Countries feel the Need to do just That.

Scenario: 

18 months ago we Hosted a Wedding for My Wife's niece. Nice Little Do for 40/50 pax  

A foreigner neighbour who was invited decided to do the same only he had to go one better and used a caterer.

Then just 3 months ago yet another Foreign neighbour had a Wedding Bash only he went totally OTT 

Now this is what I mean and on that basis before Long we Will be in the "Anything you can do I can Do better" Syndrome. then we will have not just the Keeping up with but bettering the Jones's.

Now as I said before, I came here to get away from all this but there are those that are not the ones that we are discussing here, are they? Here we are saying you can live on $2.000 a month if you keep life in reality.

Yes my friend you are right it is all BS But....................

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Love it all, I do not know of any person called Jones, does that mean i am onto a good thing

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I have a budget, i will have no more or no less, yes lots of saving for the just in case ,

Do i know what i am on about moving to another part of the world, not really, its a dream and a plan,

Could i afford to live there well again i hope so, but i do know that it would be hard to live here where i am at this moment, so in other words all i know is i would like to try to move to the Phils one day with my wife and try to live happy safe and warm, ride my bike take some pictures and have something nice to eat when i want too, sod the jones,s, let them try to keep up with me being happy

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

sod the jones,s, let them try to keep up with me being happy

That is well said and that's the way to be. Just stay away from those under the Escalator in the Malls and if in Dumaguete, away from the Foreigners Embassy that Holds Court daily in Mc Do's. Not many of them could Spell H.A.P.P.Y let alone be it.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2