Part 2 - Can I Live On $2,000 A Month In The Philippines?

stevewool
Posted
Posted

We make it very well on around $1600 per month in the Cavite area, sometimes less, sometimes a little more. Wife, 4 year old kid and me. We have a 3 bedroom house in a gated sub-division, 10000 pesos per month, it's not a mansion but very comfortable. Don't have a car and don't want one. PLDT is 2700 pesos, electric around 3500, water 350, food around 35000 per month, 2500 per month for the kids private school. We usually order pizza or something 2 or 3 times a week. We don't party or go out a lot, other than to the mall. That's out of choice, not because of money. Maybe 4 times a year, we go to Tagaytay, Manila or the home province. Wife pays into Phil Health and SSS, don't know if it will ever help. Nothing fancy here, but we make it very well and we're happy.

$2000 per month can be done and not live like a peasant. 

Well said, and if you are not having to pay any rent because you own the house you are living in , well what more is there to say

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Lots of great answers and advice from many and like many have said its what you want to live on,

Well all can learn from one another, the mistakes some have made and the gains also , but for me its down to what i think i may need, and don't need,

MY budget to the wife each month for bills and food and the little things that she may need is around 20,000 to 26,000 peso, yes it may go up and may come down, remember we don't have rent to pay,

Will i live well, well i shall be eating what i need, sleeping safe , keeping clean, and also go to the places that i would think i would like to go to,

Making new friends where you can go to visit and they can come and visit you too, that way you are saving on accommodation and also sharing the cost of things, not everyone's cup of tea i am sure , but i will have plenty of spare time on my hands to bore others

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
Sorry guys, did I get off topic? Please don't ban me. I'm only a retired senior chief, not a Master Chief like Jake! (Kinda miss that guy)

Me too mate, well the Australian equivalent anyway. 

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I just think it all boils down to be happy with what you have, I try extremely hard to live on 1000 US a week and it can be done, but I would advise anyone to have some back-up funds for things that will and do require some extra cash. I have been here just over a year now and can say honestly it is the best thing I have ever done.We live a good life, eat well, go out occasionally, have a nice house and all the things we need to be happy, that's not to say I wouldn't like more of a budget but if you just take it easy you can have a wonderful life here, with all it's problems. Anyway "you'll never never know, if you never never

What you say about having that back up is right, we all should have something for the just incase, a few thousand peso put by for the things that break or the extra food and so on,

Do you pay rent out of that amount too,

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Well said, and if you are not having to pay any rent because you own the house you are living in , well what more is there to say

The more to say is that there are expenses in upkeep and maintenance and renovations. The climate and insects are rough here.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
I try extremely hard to live on 1000 US a week and it can be done,l  

Chris I think anyone could live on $1000 a week, are you sure this is what you meant?

JP

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

I try extremely hard to live on 1000 US a week and it can be done,l  

Chris I think anyone could live on $1000 a week, are you sure this is what you meant?

JP

Sorry Jack my bad :bash: , meant a month, gee I wish a 1000 a week, yip yip yippee

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

I just think it all boils down to be happy with what you have, I try extremely hard to live on 1000 US a week and it can be done, but I would advise anyone to have some back-up funds for things that will and do require some extra cash. I have been here just over a year now and can say honestly it is the best thing I have ever done.We live a good life, eat well, go out occasionally, have a nice house and all the things we need to be happy, that's not to say I wouldn't like more of a budget but if you just take it easy you can have a wonderful life here, with all it's problems. Anyway "you'll never never know, if you never never

What you say about having that back up is right, we all should have something for the just incase, a few thousand peso put by for the things that break or the extra food and so on,

Do you pay rent out of that amount too,

Hi Steve yeah that's all up (sorry I meant 1000 p.m not per week). I have a 2 bedroom town house type on Mactan island in a subdivision 8000 pm unfurnished

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

If I get to Duma, I look forward to buying you a  or Two or Three. Oh come on! How many do you want?

:hystery:  Well now Ron, that depends on whether go  for the $500, $1.000 or $2.000 bracket  :mocking:

But it is not the Quantity of beer, it is the Quality of the Guy(S) you are Drinking it with. Here in Dumaguete we will welcome your appearance with us and enjoy the time to chin wag :)

JP :tiphat:   :thumbsup: