Part 2 - Can I Live On $2,000 A Month In The Philippines?

Jumper0155
Posted
Posted

I personally have far more respect for those that are living on less and enjoying their lives than those that "need" far more to "survive", but that's just me.

• Like 3

bows00
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure I would use the word "respect" here... I would consider them "more lucky"?  The luckiest are the ones that don't need much to survive, but have a ton of extra money to spend and give away.

• Like 1

Jumper0155
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm not sure I would use the word "respect" here... I would consider them "more lucky"?  The luckiest are the ones that don't need much to survive, but have a ton of extra money to spend and give away.

I am not talking about having to live on less, I'm talking about having more respect for those who have the ability to live on less.  Meaning that whether you earn $10,000 a month or $2,000 if you're able to live off if only $1,000 a month and still enjoy quality of life one desires; it deserves respect in my eyes.

I don't consider having disposable income necessarily as "lucky".  I earn what is considered to be a very good income here in the U.S. I however, live a modest, but good life socking away as much money as I can into savings and investments.  Why? So that when I decide to retire I can be one of the supposed "lucky" ones or I hope anyway. :cheersty:

Edited by Jumper0155
  • Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Must be a really big steak and really large beer! I do that now on half that amount!

:D

It Must be a whole cow and a brewery.

• Like 1

Sally Salvatore
Posted
Posted (edited)

I read this on a Philippine blog. I think this is for him and his girl, they are much more disciplined then I can see myself being.

I tell my friend that can barely get by on his $2800 mo pension to move, to Philippines Thailand, Colombia or the Dominica Republic and live a comfortable life, he is just afraid I guess.

BASIC LIVING EXPENSES – IN US DOLLARS/ X CHANGE RATE 44.2-1

Rent 230
Electricity 45
Gym 27
Internet 22
Water 6
Cable TV Zippo – Ain’t got time for it
Grocery Shopping 218
Eating out 223
Diesel Truck 46
Gas Motorcycles 28
Visa Fees 60
Cigarettes 35 (Yuck!)
Phones 12
Laundry 12
Dry Goods 62
Unaccounted 33*
Doctor Visits (2) 17
Medications (painkillers/anti-inflammatory) 21
Trip to Oslob 48

BASIC LIVING EXPENSES  FOR FEBRUARY 2015 TOTAL   $1193

MONTHLY LIVING EXPENSES 

July 14 1058
Aug 14  940
Sep 14 1160
Oct 14 1113
Nov 14 1183
Dec 14 1198
Jan 15 1059
Feb 15 1193

AVERAGE MONTHLY LIVING EXPENSES:  $1,113.00

Edited by MikeB
Removed link to other forum
  • Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted (edited)

I read this on Philippine blog. I think this is for him and his girl, they are much more disciplined then I can see myself being.

I tell my friend that can barely get by on his $2800 mo pension to move, to Philippines Thailand, Colombia or the Dominica Republic and live a comfortable life, he is just afraid I guess.

BASIC LIVING EXPENSES – IN US DOLLARS/ X CHANGE RATE 44.2-1

Rent 230

Electricity 45

Gym 27

Internet 22

Water 6

Cable TV Zippo – Ain’t got time for it

Grocery Shopping 218

Eating out 223

Diesel Truck 46

Gas Motorcycles 28

Visa Fees 60

Cigarettes 35 (Yuck!)

Phones 12

Laundry 12

Dry Goods 62

Unaccounted 33*

Doctor Visits (2) 17

Medications (painkillers/anti-inflammatory) 21

Trip to Oslob 48

BASIC LIVING EXPENSES  FOR FEBRUARY 2015 TOTAL   $1193

MONTHLY LIVING EXPENSES 

July 14 1058

Aug 14  940

Sep 14 1160

Oct 14 1113

Nov 14 1183

Dec 14 1198

Jan 15 1059

Feb 15 1193

AVERAGE MONTHLY LIVING EXPENSES:  $1,113.00

very intresting

Edited by MikeB
Removed same link

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Gee, it was tough to figure out just who you were referring to... I watch his videos on occasion too... One thing we should mention about his rent... He is in the city but on the edge of the city - which means his rent will be lower than downtown or closer to downtown... Still, this does show quite nicely that really big bucks aren't needed to live in the Philippines!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
Still, this does show quite nicely that really big bucks aren't needed to live in the Philippines!

Its too simplistic.  No capital cost allowance for diesel truck (1,500,000 pesos to replace) or motorcycle (70,000 pesos to replace) or accident insurance (or funding for self coverage), or hospital coverage (which we will will all need eventually) or trips out of the country which are required every 3 years.  And I am sure I missed things in that brief synopsis.

EDIT:  Let me suggest that, if the one who is living on that budget has an income of $2,000 a month (as the topic title suggests) then he is covered for all the additional expenses I mentioned but if that shoestring is all he has then he will come to a financial crisis one day

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

Still, this does show quite nicely that really big bucks aren't needed to live in the Philippines!

Its too simplistic. No capital cost allowance for diesel truck (1,500,000 pesos to replace) or motorcycle (70,000 pesos to replace) or accident insurance (or funding for self coverage), or hospital coverage (which we will will all need eventually) or trips out of the country which are required every 3 years. And I am sure I missed things in that brief synopsis.

EDIT: Let me suggest that, if the one who is living on that budget has an income of $2,000 a month (as the topic title suggests) then he is covered for all the additional expenses I mentioned but if that shoestring is all he has then he will come to a financial crisis one day

C'mon Dave! Nobody includes those as monthly expenses when reporting to others their MONTHLY expenditures! Go back and look at all the expense reports listed on this site... Did they include the cost of a new car down the road? That's like having a monthly budget for alimony!

:D

Edit: we're having fun here! I wrote my post while you were doing your edit! I can agree that the $2000 will be better but I don't know if I would go that high as a requirement... Simply because I'm living quite nicely on $1000 and allowing for extras expenses. But I do recognize many others can't simply because they need their extras!

Edited by i am bob
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
they need their extras!

And boy do I LOVE having them :cheersty:

• Like 1