Part 2 - Can I Live On $2,000 A Month In The Philippines?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
People go bankrupt all the time in the US because they either don't have medical insurance

;But they do not die.  Here they will die if they have no cash.  On another forum I read of a fellow on a budget who's WIFE needs the 400,000 peso operation. He may have to sit and watch his wife die unless enough people donate to cover the costs of an operation she must have and they will not do without the money.  And here we are thinking its just ourselves we need to worry about on that budget.

Best of luck to that fellow.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
;But they do not die. Here they will die if they have no cash. On another forum I read of a fellow on a budget who's WIFE needs the 400,000 peso operation. He may have to sit and watch his wife die unless enough people donate to cover the costs of an operation she must have and they will not do without the money. And here we are thinking its just ourselves we need to worry about on that budget.
  :th_thbestpost:

Here they will die if they have no cash.

The realistic truth is that by choosing to move and live in the Philippines we are probably lowering our life expectancy by a few years.

Being semi humorous, if you have a heart attack, you'll most likely die in the ambulance stuck in traffic :hystery: ).

But seriously, unless you have a very good FAMILY health insurance that is accepted in the Philippines, or a large nest egg for medical emergencies ONLY, or for end of life care ONLY, or folks in your home county who are willing to send money for medical expenses. A PERSON WILL MOST LIKELY DIE!!!! If that is a risk that a  prospective expat cant accept he or she should either stay in their county where health care is more readily available.

Sorry, I don't see the glass half empty or full.......................THERE JUST SOMETHING IN THE DAMN GLASS :thumbsup:  :hystery:  :cheersty:

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

That is why we are not moving just yet, lets build the just in case fund so if something did happen we would have a choice stay or move back here to England ,

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
The realistic truth is that by choosing to move and live in the Philippines we are probably lowering our life expectancy by a few years.
Or RAISING it by geting a happier relaxed life   :)

But you are corect, huge risk if need treatment urgent.

(In Sweden Swedish citizens can get even very expensive surgery for low fees even if we have emmigrated,

but then we need to "move home" some months before we can get it.   3 ? months  before we can get the much subsidesed treatment. E g a 125 000 SEK surgery would cost me around 5000 SEK (depending of how long time needed for recovery before can leave the hospital.)

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I am not thinking that i will get a illness that may be life threatening, but i bet no one is either, 

Health is very important and we can all help ourselves by eating proper, exercising a little and just taking care of ourselves, but we cannot stop everything, some people i know say they will never leave England because of the NHS, myself i think thats sad, i will leave when the time is right and hopefully live a good healthy life , 

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I've done all the sums, taking future costs (health, insurance, long term saving, emergencies, vehicle purchase maintenance and replacement and even save money), day-to-day living doing what I enjoy, flights back to Aust once a year, yes I can do it relatively comfortably and a damn sight better than I could do it in Australia.  Bottom line for me.  I can live like a middle-class filipino there, here, if I wasn't working I'd be below the poverty line.  Yes, I'm a bit of a minimalist in my material needs, I like the local food, so it suits me.  No, it's not for everyone but it will do me. 

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Sorry boys to say this, i am not even thinking of  health insurance at all, i did look at it a year or so ago and i could never afford there prices and it was tiered too, bronze, silver and gold, i would hate to have been paying for bronze for years only for them to say sorry what you have is not covered,

There has to be a limit to what we all think is a reasonable price we could pay for  the just in case but at this moment its just too much,

When the time comes for us to make the move things may be different then,

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Sorry boys to say this, i am not even thinking of  health insurance at all, i did look at it a year or so ago and i could never afford there prices and it was tiered too, bronze, silver and gold, i would hate to have been paying for bronze for years only for them to say sorry what you have is not covered,

There has to be a limit to what we all think is a reasonable price we could pay for  the just in case but at this moment its just too much,

Do anyone know an insurance which has a BIG self risk (e g 5000  or 10 000 USD) so they need to pay only in rather RARE cases, so the fee isn't so high,

but has NO MAX LIMIT?

If so I can become interested in such   :)

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Do anyone know an insurance which has a BIG self risk (e g 5000  or 10 000 USD) so they need to pay only in rather RARE cases, so the fee isn't so high,

but has NO MAX LIMIT?

If so I can become interested in such   :)

Check out a company called Allianz Global.  I don't know what they offer for a regular package but my medical insurance for Public Service in Canada switches from Sun Life to Allianz Global for those of us living outside Canada.  Of course, because it is a group plan, our rates our pretty good too.  Can't say for individuals though.

• Like 2

Larry45
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sorry, I don't see the glass half empty or full.......................THERE JUST SOMETHING IN THE DAMN GLASS :thumbsup:  :hystery:  :cheersty:

So true on the life expectancy part,  and the average expat's glass is always half-full, but it just has a small leak in it   :)

Edited by Larry45