Part 2 - Can I Live On $2,000 A Month In The Philippines?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Anyone know about cost of living in Banawa City?

I couldn't find specific information about this location in Numbeo, a website about the cost of living in various cities around the world. Try selecting a comparable size community located in the same province. If not, once you get to Banawa, post the information on this forum and Numbeo.

The reason being is that Banawa is a suburb of Cebu city. Look up Cebu city.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Roughly, l was surprised to find that the cost of living was the same between Naga in the Bicol region and Naga the Cebu city suburb. JJ's suggestion is dead on in my opinion that costs are fairly constant between large metro areas if you match quality for quality.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

A thought just occurred to me. Don't worry about you budget or lack of one. Just come to the Philippines, rob a bank, go to jail and live better than in most 1st world countries. :hystery:  :thumbsup:  :cheersty:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I would HATE driving in the Philippines

Each person is different in that regard and it is one reason why budgets are all over the chart.  My choice here (if budget was non-issue) would be a new Toyota or Honda sub compact with dual airbags which would cost me about US$13K.  What I have is a motorcycle and no car (as budget is an issue).

Driving here is a challenge but I am always amazed when I see a western 'Biker' guy weaving in and out of traffic on a big ass bike as if traffic was a non-issue.  Its interesting that I have not heard of any of these guys getting killed but most carry the scars of a few spills.

• Like 1

Larry45
Posted
Posted

I almost never read about the costs of vehicle maintenance in these seemingly endless budgetary discussions. Although labor can be cheap I have found that imported parts, good tires, etc are not. There are cheaper parts but I've not had good luck with them. Driving here is unsafe enough w/o throwing an unsafe vehicle into the mix. A lot of guys think that they'll rely on public transportation and they've got it all figured out to the penny. I wonder how that works out long-term? I tried it for a year, got old fast.

I would HATE driving in the Philippines.

I spent three years in the Philippines (planning on moving back permanently in 2016!) and not once did I miss having a car.

Part of the reason I don't mind is that I have a different life attitude while in the Philippines. Everything runs a whole lot slower and I'm always relaxed and never in a hurry. Here in America, I'm frequently uptight about my timetable, even when I don't need to be.

The public transit there was still a novelty to me after three years. It can be a bit challenging at times, but that's part of the fun!

I agree about not driving here and I really like your attitude, John.  But I guess owning a vehicle is a personal decision and depends upon where you are living, how many people you are hauling around daily, and how much you want your Philippines experience to resemble your homeland.  I drove trucks all over the US for 10 years and I've used up all my patience with bad drivers there, and even four years removed from that, I still don't feel the need to subject myself to the idiocy of the mentally absent Filipino drivers.  But back on topic, it certainly does add to the budget and potentially makes you a target both for theft and accident scam.  Maybe the worst thing about owning a car here is that I would have to take my wife and her co-teachers to work every morning.  I'll pass on disrupting my prime sleeping hours :)  

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

The reason being is that Banawa is a suburb of Cebu city.

Yes, I thought that also but my daughter Directed me to this 

http://www.maplandia.com/philippines/region-12/north-cotabato/banawa/

Edited by Jack Peterson

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

I love driving in the Dumaguete-Sibulan-Cebu areas l have had 2 motorcycles,1 tricycle and one multicab collide with vehicles l piloted or rode in. When l get to 5 collisions... Will that make me a Filipino Ace? :thumbsup:

Forgot to say, that's for this month! :hystery:

Edited by robert k
  • Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I don't think that I could live like I want on just $2000 a month. I'm in Davao. I need good food, a/c, good transportation. 

pokermike
Posted
Posted

Agree with you Gratefuled ,  i know i cant make it on $2,000 a month. Would be nice to get by just under $3,000 and live well. What are you paying for rent and what type of property.  Thanks Poker Mike