My Cebu Bachelor Pad

bows00
Posted
Posted

Currently putting together my budget for my move to Cebu.  I'll keep this short and to the point - what kind of condo can I rent for $500 US ($22,000P) month there?  My title says it all.  I am single and would like to have a decent place. But spending more than that would put a dent in my life style - and yes, I do enjoy the bar scene there... 

I have heard that most of the on-line advertisements are exploded and geared to lure in the uninformed foreigner. 

RBM
Posted
Posted

Currently putting together my budget for my move to Cebu.  I'll keep this short and to the point - what kind of condo can I rent for $500 US ($22,000P) month there?  My title says it all.  I am single and would like to have a decent place. But spending more than that would put a dent in my life style - and yes, I do enjoy the bar scene there... 

I have heard that most of the on-line advertisements are exploded and geared to lure in the uninformed foreigner. 

Bows00  if you spend some time going through the posts here there are heaps of advice available.

As many have said including myself, nothing like boots on the ground, cheap hotel and out and about.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
what kind of condo can I rent for $500 US ($22,000P) month there?

Small, cheaply built, in a less than popular area (obviously just an opinion) but it is do-able

Curley
Posted
Posted

what kind of condo can I rent for $500 US ($22,000P) month there?

Small, cheaply built, in a less than popular area (obviously just an opinion) but it is do-able

Prices for accomadation in the Phils are very high when considering the quality. When you compare like for like with Thailand, both hotels and apartments, then Thailand is much better. Colombia is even better. When my house was being done I rented a 3 bedroomed furnished apartment for about  US$150 a month.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Prices for accomadation in the Phils are very high when considering the quality

I suggest that not all of Phils and not all types of accommodation are high priced.  A small condo in Cebu metro area could easily rent for 20K pesos a month and up.  A beautiful 4 bedroom house in a remote provincial area could be going for as little as 5K a month.  Its all about desirability of both location and type of accommodation.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

When l spent much time in bars, it was because it was the meat market and l was looking for companionship. If you are the same, you don't need to live in Cebu city, or go to bars for that matter. It seems to me that there are a fair number of resto-bars in any of the cities with population greater than 100k. Personally for the budget minded with Cebu bar scene in mind, l would look for some place 30 minutes travel North of the city. If you need to be really close to the bar, see if they have an attic they will rent. :cheers:  

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
see if they have an attic they will rent

Those are "V.I.P." rooms and they rent for abut 2,000 pesos an hour.  Location location

• Like 1

pokermike
Posted
Posted

I am looking in Mactan , very nice high rise condos to chose from but very expensive , on the beach from about 60,000 to 80,000 pesos a month, one year lease. First class has everything! Cant find anything for $500 US but i am still looking if someone can help me please do. The part i dont like are all the beaches are very small and private. i found one that charges $75 a day for the use of their beach per person for one day.  Thats expensive!   poker Mike

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
i found one that charges $75 a day for the use of their beach per person for one day.  Thats expensive!  

Sounds like buying a Beach could be a Good Retirement business! :thumbsup:

JP  :tiphat:  (thinking aloud here) :)

pokermike
Posted
Posted

No thanks , just going to rent! i am not buying any land over there , maybe a condo but not more than $70,000 US. but right now i ahve no idea what city i am going to settle in. No house for sure, too many problems , yesterday someday was talking about how they are going on their third year of building their house and its still not done. Stated how they just have a few beers and watch the progress , after three years that has to be some serious beer money.

From what i read , you can  own a condo, but owning a house has issues and no matter what, things can wrong with your ownership. I am not interested in owning something with too much gray area involved.

I would like to find  something within  20-40 minutes  from a beach, with decent shoping. I would like to  pay no more than 40,000 pesos per month for a two bedroom condo. Is any one aware of any rentals that meet this criteria please passd on the info to me.

I will be homeless in one month, i am going to go to Manilla to fix our visa issues for two weeks, then we are headed to Palawan going to stay there for a month , then headed to Chang Mai to visit her aunt , plan to stay there for three or four months then back to live in Vegas for six months , before settling down in the Philippines. Thats my plan and i am sticking to it , for at least tonight!   Poker Mike

• Like 1