Dodging Christmas Gift Giving

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

There are lots of children on the seafront here singing carols but if you give them money they go and buy firecrackers. I for one will not give money to potentially blow off some childs fingers. Plus there are so many and you never have enough change in your pocket.

• Like 2

paulus
Posted
Posted

Last week we had 'carollers' singing at the gate. Only two and a guitar. Why do people think that strumming a guitar gives them a great singing voice?

Cook caught me giving them 5p each to go away. Got reprimanded for that, and next day she bought a pack of candy. No pesos for carollers. "Each piece of candy is worth 1p. Give them that and they won't be back". Well the carollers were back that night. Gave them a handful of candy, and have never seen them since.

Others have come to the gate, got the same reward, and its been quiet now for a week. Word gets around, eh?

It's so much more fun in da pilippines.

Now I need to head my head around the Christmas Day Rituals, Got a bottle of Red Horse left, that should help.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Here in Davao, we have a whole indigenous group that come from the hills for their Christmas presents. One woman has come to me so often being for money to buy food that I not only recognize the family by sight but I even know the names of her children. Guess who I saw this morning on a jewelry store buying a stack of gold necklaces and other jewelry? Grrr! :D

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Posted 38 minutes ago Here in Davao, we have a whole indigenous group that come from the hills for their Christmas presents. One woman has come to me so often being for money to buy food that I not only recognize the family by sight but I even know the names of her children. Guess who I saw this morning on a jewelry store buying a stack of gold necklaces and other jewelry? Grrr!

You have been there how long Bob?  Coming more than once for Xmas Gifts. Hmmmmmmm did you have that proverbial Newcomer Target on your back or Forehead Matey? Well at least now, you have seen the skulduggery First hand   :thumbsup: and can see that we do not always decry the Locals without reason!

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Some of the merry carolers weren't too happy I removed my doorbell batteries. 

post-575-0-10873100-1419580868_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I had to disconnect my doorbell years ago as the brat kids would ring it and then run away. It is better this way, if you know what I mean.

Last week, they shut our water off at the meter. 5 hours later, I figured it out.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Last week, they shut our water off at the meter. 5 hours later, I figured it out.

Isn't it amazing that they put the main water shutoff for the house outside the premises on the street so anyone can bebop on up and shut off your water? Same with ours, though the water guy put some rocks and grass over the valve to hide it lol.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Isn't it amazing that they put the main water shutoff for the house outside the premises on the street

Mike, surely a Good Plumber with a piece of new Pipe and a new valve can put it on the Inside of the property?  :thumbsup:

Just saying

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Mike, surely a Good Plumber with a piece of new Pipe and a new valve can put it on the Inside of the property?

I think the water company requires it to be like that but I'm not sure. Moot point since I'm renting. So far no problem with anyone shutting it so the grass and rocks are working. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Isn't it amazing that they put the main water shutoff for the house outside the premises on the street so anyone can bebop on up and shut off your water?

There are many places that have the same set up for electric shut off.  As I walked down the street last week I saw 3 boys, each about 10 years old, on the opposite side.  the boy in the middle reached up to shut off someone's electric breaker and the other two boys grabbed him and stopped him.  My shut off is just inside the gate but an average sized teenager could reach around and shut it off.  

• Like 1