Favorite Filipino Food?

earthdome
Posted
Posted

There is a kid on my street that sells DURON  door to door. Its fried banana coated with a sugar crust. 

Hmm... On Luzon I have had Banana Cue's (sp??) which are as you describe, banana fried with brown sugar coating on a wood stick.

I have also had Turon which is banana fried inside pastry dough. Often served with ice cream. Yummy dessert with brewed coffee.

• Like 2

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

I love the spring rolls

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Althou not a Food but a specialty dessert 

post-1293-0-66394300-1419437871.jpg

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yesterday, I attended a Filipino Christmas party in Los Angeles hosted by relatives. They had all the traditional Filipino dishes including our family's famous Albert Paella. What struck me was the presence of a huge platter of Spaghetti ala Carbonara at the buffet table. It turns out this dish was for the children and grandchildren born and raised in the United States. They won't eat the good stuff like lechon and pancit.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Althou not a Food but a specialty dessert 

attachicon.gifhalo halo.jpg

Heck yes! It looks like a car wreck but wow so good. I clearly remember while courting my wife Mom gave me some Ube Coconut ice cream I think that may have closed the deal for me. :D  

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

I also like a street vendor snack they call "tempura", unrelated to the tempura we commonly know.

So john, as it is Unrelated, what is it? :unsure:

JP

I guess I mis-spoke when I said "unrelated." Apparently, it is related...but when I think of "tempura," I think of the light, fluffy batter covering some kind of meat. I fixed some tempura a few weeks ago, and my kitchen was a MESS. But it turned out good.

Here is an article on the Philippines version of tempura, which I guess is a modified version of the tempura batter. Fish is mixed in with the batter instead of the batter coating it.

http://definitelypinoy.blogspot.com/2011/01/street-food-tempura-and-fish-balls.html

• Like 3

Ashanti
Posted
Posted

Mine is, "Escabeche" ............

Its like a sweet and sour dish but use fish rather than meat and lots of ginger and pineapple on it.

the other is grilled bananas - like your banana cue but instead of being coated in sugar and fried its just a plain banana on stick cooked over charcoal fire..... yummy ........

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted (edited)
I have had Banana Cue's (sp??)

Sorry, but I must correct it after seeing it twice. It is called Banana Q like in BBQ. They don't cue here, they "Fall in Line" They BBQ everything.

Edited by jpbago
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Mine is, "Escabeche" ............

Its like a sweet and sour dish but use fish rather than meat and lots of ginger and pineapple on it.

the other is grilled bananas - like your banana cue but instead of being coated in sugar and fried its just a plain banana on stick cooked over charcoal fire..... yummy ........

Yes! I like that one.... we don't have anyone here that can cook Escabeche.

• Like 1

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted (edited)

Honestly, food was my major disappointment. I expected more tasty regional dishes.

I stayed near Cebu City. Perhaps other regions have tastier foods? Spice, of course, is used very sparsely, as it's relatively expensive. MSG is one of the most commonly used "spices"--one which I try to avoid completely.

Sorry to say, I really do not care for (to put it mildly) lechon baboy. Blah! (sorry!) Filipino spaghetti is certainly not my favorite, either. Too sweet or something.

That said, I did find some new foods to love. My favorite cheap meal is a whole grilled squid. It was about 80p (I think) at the SM food court.

Pancit is excellent when fixed "right."

I am looking forward to finding a supply of scallops when I return. I have seen references to them on the Internet and they are priced right.

I liked the whole rotisserie chickens they sold along the street. One of those is a perfect lunch or dinner.

I generally avoided the market restaurants, as most of the food was left out in the tropical heat all day. However, I did eat the soups (they were kept hot) and found a tasty variety.

Fortunately, I love rice.

Somehow, I think I wasn't exposed to the full variety of Filipino foods and hope to find a better variety when I return (in 2016!).

Edited by John Mogusar
  • Like 2