New Years, 13 Round Fruit.....so What The Heck Exactly Is The Story

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

The past fifteen years my wife sets the table with 13 more or less round fruits. She also will put a bunch of grapes over the front door threshold. This is the family tradition but she has no idea what its all about. Anyone know the story behind this Filipino New Year tradition?

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Yes; these and similar customs like wearing clothes with polka dots, having some money in your wallet, not sweeping the house and so on on New Year's Day and, notably, letting off firecrackers (!) are all imports into Filipino culture from Chinese Spring Festival ("Chinese New Year") traditions.

The round things symbolise money; the idea is that money should flow into the household in the year to come. You do not sweep out the house in case you should sweep some of the incoming luck away.

The firecrackers, trumpets etc are to make a loud noise and scare the demons and spirits of bad luck away.

All Chinese.

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I heard about that and thought about it. I could not see myself or wife buying 1 apple, 1 orange,1 round mango, 1 watermelon, 1 pomelo, etc. etc. 

I guess, I'll take my chances with bad luck.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I heard about that and thought about it. I could not see myself or wife buying 1 apple, 1 orange,1 round mango, 1 watermelon, 1 pomelo, etc. etc. 

They don't have to be different fruit as long as they are round...

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Hi Bob. So, I could have bought a cluster of grapes. Damn, now I'm doomed to have bad luck all year. Oh well, there's always next New Years, if I get by this year. (smile)

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Several of the wifes Filipina friends are posting pictures of their New Year fruit bowls on Facebook. Must be a slow day. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted

They don't have to be different fruit as long as they are round...

Not true, according to my wife and inlaws, they must be different.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Maybe it's a regional or personal thing? My ex from Taiwan just went for round... It didn't matter what. My Special Someone said the same... I'll ask the staff here at the hotel to see what they do...

i am bob
Posted
Posted

OK, I checked with a few of the hotel staff... 3 said it didn't matter as long as they are placed properly. The 4th looked at them as if they were nuts - they have to be different. So I guess it's more a regional thing?

• Like 1