Cost Of Living For $830 A Month In Or Around Cebu Areas?

Craig Albert Witfill
Posted
Posted

Hi People,

I just wanted to know, Can you find a nice small house near the ocean for $200 a month near Cebu region?

Also I have around $830 guaranteed  coming in every month passive income... I make another $300 to $500 online with ebay and blogging.

One question, Can you be ok with just $830 a month

Just in case the bottom falls out of me internet income

Thank you

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I could not live on that small amount. People do exist on less than that. I need all the comfort that I can get and the food and conveniences  that I like. 

I didn't leave my friends, family and home to struggle daily in heat and humidity. 

Craig Albert Witfill
Posted
Posted

I know that I will have to live on more but I just wanted to know, It is non of my business How much do you live on? a month living there. Just a round number?

Craig Albert Witfill
Posted
Posted

I could not live on that small amount. People do exist on less than that. I need all the comfort that I can get and the food and conveniences  that I like. 

I didn't leave my friends, family and home to struggle daily in heat and humidity. 

I know I need some more internet income. Can you share with my "how much you spend a month? a round number please

Some people say $1000 a month, others say $1600 to $1800 a month?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Larry45
Posted
Posted

Yeah, there has been lots of debate about this and at first reading this thread title I thought it was satire.  It's possible to live that cheaply just outside of Cebu, but you will have to make some sacrifices and live like a local.  I could do it, no problem, and be quite contented and comfortable.  But not everyone can do it, or even wants to try.  I've lived like that for 4 years now, and frankly, I'm looking forward to a more affluent lifestyle.  But one good thing about living cheaply, you will know that your woman really likes you and not just your money. :) 

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Can you find a nice small house near the ocean for $200 a month near Cebu region?

If you mean the 'province' of Cebu then yes.  If you mean the metropolitan area then not much chance of that but for double that you might.  The areas of the province you would find something at that price would be a couple of hours drive from the metropolitan area.

usa32
Posted
Posted

I havent made the trip to the phillipines yet. But did alot of research.

Cebu city? outside of a boarding house not going to happen.

I have seen some decent studios online in cebu city for 350 to 400 a month.

Can you live ok in phillipines on 830?, probably. But not in cebu city, as its the most expensive city, or close to it.

Cebu province, outside of cebu city, you can probably get closer to your 800 number, but 1000-1100 would be safer, if you want to be able to do things, and have some fun.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I was recently in Danao, Cebu. One could live cheap there. Cebu city about an hour and a 50 piso bus ride away. The part of Danao I was staying in was bowshot from the beach. Entrance fees to the "resorts" were 5-10 piso. I saw posted ads for apartments and houses near the local wet market in the wet market. Danao is sort of sleepy, not a lot of nightlife. If I were to stay there I would ride the bus into Cebu city and take advantage of the Sogo Hotel's 12 hour special if I wanted to paint the town red. In the area I was in, the Smart internet was crap and people told me that Sun internet works much better. Smart was taxed with light duties, would handle e-bay if you are patient. I could do $830 a month there and enjoy it.

Now to validate this. When I was in the Army, during an inspection of our lockers the inspectors were walking from soldier to soldier and handing out gigs. Finally after examining my locker for twice the time spent on the other soldier's lockers the officer whose good fortune it was to draw the detail said, I give up, there is something about this locker but I don't know what it is! Finally a sergeant took pity on him and told him, this man owns nothing that was not issued to him, no civilian clothes, no boombox, no cellphone, there is  nothing to find here. Starting from that point, I have gotten lazy, I have a vehicle, girlfriend with an 8 year old kid and we live on 1k piso a day until some budget busters come along and raise it to $1k USD, last month included paying her families electric bill 5k piso. It's ok though, since I am contributing to their household economy, I eat at their house whenever they cook something I like which is quite often. :) I do it in Sibulan, Negros Oriental, I could do it in Danao, Cebu. Actually I'm only about 6 hours from Cebu right now, fast craft ride then bus, a little longer if I want to bring the car. :)

• Like 3

pokermike
Posted
Posted

I have been to the beaches of Cebu . Currently i am looking at several one bedroom condos on the beach for about $1200 a month US. I am moving there in one week. i have been searching for a place close to a decnt beach with some shoping close by for years and have not found anything for under $1,000 a month. If you find something please tell me and if i find something i will tell everyone. If yoiu want to live close to the beach in Cebu , i would advise a budget of over $2,000 a month . you look young and if you want a life thats what it going to cost you. i am allowing $3,500 for my budget.  i am married and dont drink much or smoke.  N othing is cheap in the beach areas. I have seen beaches in cebu charge $75 per day for a person just to use the beach. Jet skis , run about $75 per hour. The last hotel i stayed at in mactan a beach of Cebu was over $350 per night. It was not best hotel.   Over $2,000 a month to live. Unless you are going to stay home and do nothing at all then i think maybe $1,200 that includes not eating.     Poker Mike

• Like 1