Cost Of Living For $830 A Month In Or Around Cebu Areas?

robert k
Posted
Posted

Rice cooker Bob, the poor mans coffeepot, double speed crockpot, ect. or get an electric kettle. I'm liking the Payless brand Pancit Shanghai because they have a lot of vegetables, larger flat noodles and good spices. 4 oz. boiling water per package, I usually have 2, made in the rice cooker. Lucky Me Sweet and Spicy Pancit Canton, same thing 2 packages. I usually eat a like meal one meal in six and I think I can do that indefinitely because I like it! Tough to beat 15 piso a meal for something that satisfies.  

Go team! I'm on Team Bob :thumbsup:

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)

I just wanted to know, Can you find a nice small house near the ocean for $200 a month near Cebu region?

One question, Can you be ok with just $830 a month

Just in case the bottom falls out of me internet income

Thank you

Hi Craig, welcome to the forum, can you live on $830 = 37,000 pesos a month, do-able but you would be sailing pretty close to the wind, if you had been here for 6 months or so and got the hang of the place I would say yes, new arrival it would be really tight. I live on a $1000 a month, I have a 2 b/room 2 storey house in a nice quiet, clean sub-division on Mactan (8000 p.m) about 30 minutes (200pesos by taxi ) from Cebu, 10-15 mins from the beaches, 5 mins (8pesos) from the Mall, 15 mins from BI (visa's, 90 pesos by taxi). Our food bill 2 for the month is between 8 - 10,000 pesos and there is always food in the fridge and we eat pretty good, mind you we cook a lot at home, my girl thinks it's great, she has learnt how to cook a lot of western dishes, hardly eats rice any more and can't be too bad as we have both put some weight on.

There are 2 b/room unfurnished houses not far from me you can rent on a yearly basis, unfurnished for 6000 - 7000 p.m. You could furnish them to be comfortable for around $1200 all up and have a nice little place to call home, they can't be that bad, there are quite a lot of expats there and the one's I know that live there all seem pretty happy with their lot. They are close to all the beaches, malls and just about anything you need.

So what do you get for a $1000 p.m, Well you are not living the high live I can tell you, no 5 star anything, but you can eat ok, have a beer, packet of cigs and enjoy life and I will give you a few example's of what you can look forward too. Four of us sometimes go to this lovely, secluded, quiet little island of the coast from Mactan, my share of the transport costs and a beach hut for the day is 300 pesos, food and drink around 500 pesos, or how about a day at a beach resort close by, 600 pesos for entry and a cottage, has a beach, great pool, is clean, well looked after, always a relaxing day there. Another resort, but with only a pool, you can get  with entry, food and drinks 1000 pesos for the day. A night out, no problem, we go to a little locals bar, good location, never had a problem there, has live music, eat and drink your fill, 4 of us go, my share for 2 is usually around 600 pesos for the night, and if we want to kick on after, across the road there is a disco, 100 pesos entry, first beer free and I can bet you some local will always offer to buy you a beer. Want a quiet dinner with your girl, ok we go to the Mall here close by, have a decent meal, couple of beers, can get it done for under 600 pesos, too much, down at the local sari store, rice and chicken for 2, me 4 beers, her fruit juice, under 200 pesos and you get too meet the locals, it's another great night out. Maybe it's only existing to some but I for me I am having the time of my life. We don't do this every night or week but we do go and enjoy our life and I can tell you that's only the half of it, here there always seems to be a party for what-ever and we get enough invites to keep us more than busy.

As Jack said in another post, just do your research, there's loads of info on here but you have to take the time to sit down and check it all out. Good luck with what ever you do, if you need to know anything just do a post, some one will answer you.

Sounds like my life in Dalaguete except beaches are free here. Good luck frosty

Edited by sonjack2847
  • Like 5

davewe
Posted
Posted

I've said it before when these topics come up but I think most of the time the question is ass backwards. It shouldn't be "can I live on 830/month" but what kind of life can I have based on my income.

Once you determine what you have to live, you can decide where and how to live. First decision is where. On 830/month probably not Cebu City (at least not for long) but a smaller city or provincial area might be more doable.

What will you or can you eat? Your fave Western foods - not often. Filipino foods - sure.

What's your idea of entertainment? Lying on the beach or swimming - sure. Chasing bar girls nightly - probably not :)

Well, you get the idea. Set yourself a budget come for an initial visit and decide what you have to have, what's nice to have, and what you can do without. Then you'll know. But be honest with yourself. What do you have to have to live happily and what can you do without.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I've said it before when these topics come up but I think most of the time the question is ass backwards. It shouldn't be "can I live on 830/month" but what kind of life can I have based on my income.

Once you determine what you have to live, you can decide where and how to live. First decision is where. On 830/month probably not Cebu City (at least not for long) but a smaller city or provincial area might be more doable.

What will you or can you eat? Your fave Western foods - not often. Filipino foods - sure.

What's your idea of entertainment? Lying on the beach or swimming - sure. Chasing bar girls nightly - probably not :)

Well, you get the idea. Set yourself a budget come for an initial visit and decide what you have to have, what's nice to have, and what you can do without. Then you'll know. But be honest with yourself. What do you have to have to live happily and what can you do without.

You can still eat western foods on 830 but you have to cook yourself and if you buy say sausages from a shop you have to make them  last longer than you would at home IE smaller portions

• Like 1

russellmania
Posted
Posted

Dont forget to add all the visa's you will need to stay long term in the Philippines!

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

25 posts later and the OP has not said boo in this topic. Guess he got his answer  :signnvm:

• Like 2