Banking: Opening An Account Without An Acr Card?

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

Can anyone refer me to a list of banks that allow foreigners to open an account without an ACR card?

I'm doing a little research for a friend.

ThanX!

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

John, its really hit or miss, depending on the manager of each bank. I know that when we first made the move, I could not be on our account at Citibank Philippines, even though my pension was directly deposited into Citibank USA. But down the street and PNB I could be on the dollar and peso account.

Just to let you know my experience here. Banking is not like we are used to. Each bank seems to be an independent operation, unlike in the states where you have an account with BOA in Detroit you can make a with drawl from BOA in Denver. Here I have found that you must conduct business with THE BRANCH that the account is opened in or you have to pay a service charge (P200 the time we did it).

I have had a bit of a run around with these things. My niece who lives in Australia has several small accounts with major Philippine banks. (PNB and BPI). In order to keep the accounts active there has to be activity once a year. Instead of going to the nearest branch and depositing a small amount for her, I had to trudge to each branch that the account was opened in. 

IMHO your friends best bet would be to get a Philippine drivers license upon arrival, and go a major bank, talk to the manager and repeat until successful. 

Again this is just my experience. Tell your buddy Good luck :cheersty: .

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)
Just to let you know my experience here. Banking is not like we are used to. Each bank seems to be an independent operation, unlike in the states where you have an account with BOA in Detroit you can make a with drawl from BOA in Denver. Here I have found that you must conduct business with THE BRANCH that the account is opened in or you have to pay a service charge (P200 the time we did it).

I don't think this is true for every bank. I have no problem conducting business at any BPI branch bank and there have never been any additional fees.

And yes, I was able to open up a BPI USD/peso savings account without an ACR-I card.

Edited by earthdome
  • Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
IMHO your friends best bet would be to get a Philippine drivers license upon arrival, and go a major bank, talk to the manager and repeat until successful. 

It will be of help if you have a Filipina and her Philippine address as well with you when you go to open an account. 

As for going branch to branch to keep the accounts active once per year, you should be able to that online. I can use any branch of BDO for deposits and withdrawals except if I need a form or Manager's cheque, then I need to pay 50p if it is not the branch that I opened the account at..

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

BPI in Dumaguete allowed me to.  Admittedly that was a few years ago so things may have changed.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
you should be able to that online

And how long have you been tied to a Filipino family????? :lol: . It has been a long time since I have even attempted to use common sense and logic with them :bash: . Life is much quieter once I learned not to argue and just follow direction lololololzzzz. :cheersty:

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I concur with those who said each branch is run like it's own little fiefdom.

OP - Appearances often count for more then facts here, if possible have your friend go in with someone who already has an account. That's what I did when I first moved here. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

All banks want to see your ACR card.  To publish a list of those who will let you postpone that requirement would be to draw attention to the fact that the particular manager is running fast and loose with the requirements.  How long will that last once his/her boss gets on his case?

It seems to me that you have to go directly to the bank manager and explain why you do not have an ACR card (its coming next month or I left it at home for example) to see if they will postpone that requirement.  If you say you don't have one because you never stay here longer than 2 months then the manager will likely not be able to open an account for you.

EDIT:  If the opening post is looking for ways to open an illegal account for a non-resident (you are a 'temporary resident' after 60 days with an ACR so that is legal) then this forum cannot and will not discuss that.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

Can anyone refer me to a list of banks that allow foreigners to open an account without an ACR card?

I'm doing a little research for a friend.

ThanX!

Try BPI they have many branches thru out the country and using ONLINE is simple to enroll unlike others

as another said . TRY 1 branch if not successful go to another

or TAKE a friend who has Account at that BRANCH

I concur with those who said each branch is run like it's own little fiefdom.

OP - Appearances often count for more then facts here, if possible have your friend go in with someone who already has an account. That's what I did when I first moved here. 

SO true MIKE B :th_thbestpost:

I don't think this is true for every bank. I have no problem conducting business at any BPI branch bank and there have never been any additional fees.

:thumbsup:    :cheers:

It will be of help if you have a Filipina and her Philippine address as well with you when you go to open an account. 

As for going branch to branch to keep the accounts active once per year, you should be able to that online. I can use any branch of BDO for deposits and withdrawals except if I need a form or Manager's cheque, then I need to pay 50p if it is not the branch that I opened the account at..

:thumbsup:  Yes thats the best 1 can suggest.

about the managers check . why risk taking cash when the check is SAFEST. best 50p you can spend,

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn

robert k
Posted
Posted

I managed it at PNB, Just explained I didn't have the ACR yet. I did have an address that wasn't a hotel and a local along as a reference. The tough part was 4, 1X1 photographs. The minimum to open the piso account was 10k. I deposited $500 in the dollar account, which was more than necessary. I also deposited a check for $2,000, compelling reasons to need an account.

• Like 1