Banking: Opening An Account Without An Acr Card?

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I managed it at PNB, Just explained I didn't have the ACR yet. I did have an address that wasn't a hotel and a local along as a reference. The tough part was 4, 1X1 photographs. The minimum to open the piso account was 10k. I deposited $500 in the dollar account, which was more than necessary. I also deposited a check for $2,000, compelling reasons to need an account.

I basically did the same at a BPI branch. Opening the account 4 days after I arrived. I did have to obtain my first tourist VISA extension from BI and show the bank manager that paperwork before she would open the account.

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

We opened an A/C at the bank of Commerce 3 months ago on a BB stamp in our passports. You will need the required photos ,and a local address not hotel or pension house. As stated having a local with you does make a difference . We were required to deposit money into  the A/C I cant remember how much ,it took 10-14 days to get our debit cards,a bit time consuming but all in all no real problems. Good luck.

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Can anyone refer me to a list of banks that allow foreigners to open an account without an ACR card?

I'm doing a little research for a friend.

ThanX!

Hi John,

My experience with local BPI, asked the manager what I needed to open a debit account, passport, passport size pic, letter from my home countries bank. Took it all in, filled out the forms, went back a week later to pick up my card. This was done 7 weeks ago.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
letter from my home countries bank

Can I ask what sort of letter?  Do you mean just an account statement or something else? 

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

letter from my home countries bank

Can I ask what sort of letter?  Do you mean just an account statement or something else? 

Just a letter stating my name, account number, address in Oz, how long I have been a customer at that bank, had no outstanding debts with the bank, a nothing sort of letter really. You could just write your own I suppose, no one would be the wiser.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Petey
Posted
Posted

WesternUnion ( where i noticed the promotion ) actually do a bank account but its for non-remitance only. All they need is 1 form of I.D

Details of the USSC Account : http://www.ussc.com.ph/Service.aspx

Here are the details of the Application Process. http://www.ussc.com.ph/CashCard.htm

I don't want to divulge too much in questions around monies - but if you recive WU transaction or any other monies you can manually add those funds to your account. IIRC there is a maximum account limit on funds... but the number escapes me. I think its maybe P10000. I'm sure they would tell you if you ask :)

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Any one have any experience with Direct Express card from US treasury?  I was thinking off just having my money all deposited onto it each month, then going to the Philippine bank and having most of it deposited into an account.  Don't know if I can but it seems pretty safe way to operate. I know the card is good worldwide, wherever master card is taken, and it works on the ATMs in the Philis, at least that's what Uncle Sam claims. 

Appreciate some input. 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted (edited)

W&M...I posted this in another related topic

What we did was in 2 phases.

1st. When we were building our house and needed large sums we used Citibank US and had a Citibank Philippine account. We could electronically transfer large sums, then change the dollars into pesos, the deposit it in a peso account.

2nd. Now that we have a more stable month to month expense situation. We have one BPI dollar account and one BPI peso account. We keep a certain amount at all times in the dollar account and once every month or so we just deposit a dollar check on our bank in the states and wait the 20-30 days for it to clear.

Oh, we still have our account in the states where my pension is electronically deposited.

Might not be the best system, but it works for us,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and the wife is happy with it so who am I to suggest

Edit: I strongly believe in the KISS rule. The less moving parts the better. My pension goes into a well established, insured American institution. We personally don't use debit cards to avoid any possible frauds. We have a credit card issued by our US bank, but we only use it at well established, large Philippine places like SM, Waltermart and Wilcon, places like that. Everything else we just pay cash for.

Edited by scott h

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Right on Scott h, I was trying to not deal with a stateside bank at all. The Direct express card from the treasury is will get loaded no matter where you're at in the world. No bank account needed. It is recognized the world over as being backed by Uncle Sam. It seems an easy way to go as long as you can take money from the card and deposit it to a bank account in what ever country your living, ( Philippines ).

What do you guys think, any body ever tried this? Anybody ever read or talked to someone at the 1-800 number? I like the fact that all three of my government checks get loaded when they are suppose to each month.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Right on Scott h, I was trying to not deal with a stateside bank at all. The Direct express card from the treasury is will get loaded no matter where you're at in the world. No bank account needed. It is recognized the world over as being backed by Uncle Sam. It seems an easy way to go as long as you can take money from the card and deposit it to a bank account in what ever country your living, ( Philippines ).

What do you guys think, any body ever tried this? Anybody ever read or talked to someone at the 1-800 number? I like the fact that all three of my government checks get loaded when they are suppose to each month.

What about ATM fees and FX rates? You can't use the ATM card to withdraw USD.