Flying To Philippines

richierich359
Posted
Posted

It is my understanding that if you plan to move to the Philippines you can't go there on a one way ticket just to the Philippines, you need to have a "throwaway" ticket to a 2nd destination. What would be the cheapest throwaway destination?. I would be coming from the good ole USA. So as i see it i would buy a one way to the Philippines buy show a ticket to another destination and just not leave but start the process of Visa and extensions?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

You need an onward ticket to anywhere out of the country, AirAsia usually has inexpensive flights to Malaysia. I would not refer to it as a "throwaway" to anyone in authority, including airline employees.

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

since we(I) have no information on your exact situation.

WHY NOT have a ROUND TRIP ticket which is some cases maybe actually lower than a 1-way.

So in case something doesnt "go right" you have a ticket to depart.

regarding the "outward bound" ticket, why not have it in 2-6 months OUT (than what some do which is 20-30days)

• Like 3

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

How long do you plan to stay? What you could do is just book a round trip ticket with Philippine Airlines. They have an option to rebook the flight for a $100 fee. My thought would be to book your return flight for 28 or 29 days from your arrival date. Then check with the airline about rebooking at a later date. Or earlier if things do not pan out like you would hope. I believe you can rebook within a years period if I read the disclaimer right. Always have an exit stragety.

Wife and I arrived in Manila Dec 28th. Immigration stamped wifes USA and Philippine passport and my USA passport with a balikbayan visa. He asked if we had return tickets. My reply was "I hope so!" That is as far as they checked.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

When I moved over here I payed for a return ticket as it was not much dearer than a one way with a throwaway ticket and only half the messing about.

• Like 2

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

When I checked in for my flight in Bangkok to Manila with CebuPacific the check in agent asked for my onward ticket which happened to be a return to BKK in 30 days. He then checked that it was a valid ticket, which I haven't experienced before. I have always been asked for an onward ticket, though.

• 3 weeks later...
Txpinoy7850
Posted
Posted

the last time I did this I bought a ticket to Taiwan.that stopped in the phils.............yeah.........they wont let you stay otherwise..........round-trip or elsewhere.