Mambukal Mountain Resort

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

Perhaps the most beautiful place I visited while in the Philippines was Mambukal Mountain Resort. It's almost an hour's drive from Bacolod.

While the accommodations aren't much, the grounds are absolutely beautiful. So much greenery, and there is a long trail where you can hire a local guide (~60p) and visit seven waterfalls and other scenery. Actually, a couple of those waterfalls were closed off when I was there due to rockslides that had damaged the path, but the ones that I saw were awesome.

Mambukal is a half a day's hike from an active volcano, which heats water that feeds two sulfur bathing pools.

A massive colony of fruit bats lives in a cave and you can view them at dusk.

The food available is  six or eight locals who set up restaurants in a single area. The food is mostly cooked to order. I had a platter of the largest shrimp I ever ate. One of my food highlights during my three year stay. (That in itself isn't much to brag about, as food was the most disappointing element of my stay in the Philippines. The region I stayed in just didn't seem to have exceptional foods.)

You can rent a boat in a beautiful lagoon or take a long zipline ride down into the lagoon. There is also a butterfly sanctuary, but it was closed while I was there for renovation.

I am usually a person who likes to DO things. There's not a whole lot to do other than see the sites, but if you are looking for a couple days of TOTAL relaxation, this is the perfect place to go.

I found this little website: http://www.mambukalhaven.com/

I guess you can rent horses or bicycles, but I didn't remember that, as that's not something I'd want to do. There's also wall climbing if you're into that.

Anyway, I definitely recommend Mambukal.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Looks like Mambukal is worthy of a visit during our next trip to the Philippines. In particular, my wife and I enjoy onsens - Japanese style thermal springs. Do you know if the resort has private bath houses?

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Trip Advisor has some bad recent reports like squatters,shabu, closures, etc.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My wife and I are planning a trip to the Philippines before the end of 2015. Our preference are new resorts and cities we have never visited.

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

Looks like Mambukal is worthy of a visit during our next trip to the Philippines. In particular, my wife and I enjoy onsens - Japanese style thermal springs. Do you know if the resort has private bath houses?

I don't believe they have private bath houses, but I probably wouldn't remember if they did.

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

They have enclosed grounds, so any squatters (I assume) would be in the adjacent town.

The waterfall hike is not enclosed, and there were some residences along the way.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Hi John,

Thanks for the information. Every trip to the Philippines requires a stop in Metro Manila for family obligations. We would also like to expand our horizon through overnight trips to one or more new destinations. Last trip in February 2014, we visited Balesin Island. Gorgeous place, but too expensive.

JJR

• 4 weeks later...
RBM
Posted
Posted

Definitely worth a visit although unless you love the company of noisy Koreans go during the week.

I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food being served in the small kiosks  If staying over be sure to check the cottage well as they are poorly maintained if at all. One visit we checked 4 before finding one where everything worked.