Is It Safe To Visit The Pi At This Time Due To Biff And Mlf Islamic Extremists?

knoxjulie
Posted
Posted

My husband and I (American citizens) have tickets to the PI in March of this year and now have some concerns about our trip. A Filipino friend of my husband has told him she feels it is no longer safe at this time for us to visit as we do not have any Filipino relatives or friends in that country to show us around. Our intention was to fly into Manila and then into Cebu (visit Bohol) and from there visit Taipei. 

I would appreciate any feedback from the members of this forum. I am looking very forward to this trip, but now have deep reservations as to whether or not we should cancel and visit another country. 

Please let us know if these fears are unfounded and if indeed it is safe for us to keep our plans and visit the PI. 

Our intention is to determine whether or not the PI is a viable option for us to retire to in the next six years. 

Thank you for your time. 

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Moved topic.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Past week wife and I have been to Palawan - Cebu - Camiguin - Davao and now we are in North Cotabato. First 4 on that list are no problems at all. North Cotabato I am a little bit more cautious.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

It is safe where you are going. The rebels do not operate in those areas and are quite far from it.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

The Filipino friend may have an ulterior motive. If you use common sense don't flash cash jewelry and expensive toys things will be fine.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I am looking very forward to this trip, but now have deep reservations as to whether or not we should cancel and visit another country. 

grouphug.gif We had a Chat and we all say welcome.gif well me anyway. As to your Question, haveing been here many years with not Problem I can Honestly say you are 1000 Times safer here than say, anywhere in the Middle East. Problems will arise anywhere at anytime no matter where you decide to visit. every day the media will carry a problem Story of so & so country. If they are going to scare us then we may as well stay at home and maybe get a problem on our own doorstep :rolleyes:

For me come on Down and Enjoy. As some one has already said common sense and low key presence is the prime key to visiting any new Country. Act as you would at home, with caution. As with any situation, Try not to be in the Wrong Place at the wrong time, saying the wrong thing to the wrong person.

The PI is a Wonderful Place and you will just love it.

JP :tiphat: :morning1:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

Understand that this country is overrun with foreigners and none of us are wearing bullet proof vests as we sit in the resorts having a few beers.  None of us have personal security guards.  A few have been murdered but this happens too often in many countries.  If we did not feel safe we would leave.

EDIT:  Just to add, it may not be safe for you to retire here if your husband has a taste for brown sugar.  There are lots of girls here who will flirt with him whether he is young or old, rich or poor, handsome or ugly, or with his wife or not.  Very few married couples from the US retire here.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

As far as I can suggest, stay away from the red coloured part of this map post-2148-0-11057800-1420947134_thumb.pn For obvious reasons. :rolleyes:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

You will be just as safe visiting the areas listed in your emails as you would any place in the USA.  You do need to be aware of your surroundings in Manila and Cebu City just as you would in any large US city.  I have only lived here 15 months, but have never felt threatened, or feared for my safety.  When you visit Bohol, try also to visit Alona Beach on Panglao.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Our intention is to determine whether or not the PI is a viable option for us to retire to in the next six years. 

You will be safe if you follw a few safety guidelines. First, only take a metered taxi. To and from the hotel you booked. If possible, book at a hotel that provides a shuttle. Some hotels offer a shuttle for its guests to visit nearby places of interest.

Take care of your credit cards and passports. 

If you plan to retire and live in the Philippines, this would be a good time to visit other places besides Manila and Cebu. The Philippines is not a paradise. There would be a lot to adjust to. Sacrifices and efficiency of doing simple business wil try your patience. 

There is a lot more but I would not retire here. It might be a good place for a vacation home but not to live permanently.