Wine Corkage

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

RPM, I watch Fe eat with a spoon, it seems the fork is used to hold whatever need cut and everything else belongs to the spoon, or fingers. It doesn't bother me so much any more and I'm trained to get a fork and knife before coming to the table.

Sticks are good to  eat with, it means all the food is already cut to bite sized pieces, but with all the trees cut it seems a luxury in Fil not like the rich countries like Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos et all. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

When I go to a restaurant I like to bring my own tea bag and just ask for a glass of service water, heated please and free.  Then I bring my own loaf of french bread and just order the soup do jour which is cheap and I can fill up on bread.  It would be outrageous of them to ask me for a 'corkage fee' or equivalent as I leave a 5 peso tip!

That paragraph was written with my tongue in my cheek BUT I have acquaintances who actually do that and no, the restaurant does not say anything or charge anything.  (This is in Dumaguete, not Bacolod).  In my opinion the restaurant has the right to charge whatever fee they want for people bringing in any food and drink as they are in the business of providing same.  It is also my opinion that I would not go back to a place that does charge me for bringing a bottle of my own choice that they do not sell there.  There is only one place in Dumaguete that charged me 50 pesos for bringing in a bottle of wine.  They don't sell wine at Pigeon Resort and this was a special occasion, but to drink the wine there cost me 50 pesos (x2) entrance fee.  250 pesos for a plastic table and chairs to sit at.  And 50 pesos corkage fee.  So I was charged 400 pesos to drink my own 300 peso bottle of wine.  I had to grin and bear it as it was a special favor for my significant other but I can sure see why there are no crowds there.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
mogo51
Posted
Posted

I am in Thailand and there is very little corkage charged  here, but wine is so expensive, hardly anyone drinks it.  A very average but quite ok Oz wine, Jacobs Creek white and red, which you can buy  in Oz for no more than $9 but in Thailand $20 and we are supposed to have a free trade agreement with them???

• Like 1