Did Globe Go Static

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

Are you on prepaid or postpaid? Wimax or USB stick?  I am on prepaid USB and I have 2 sims that I interchange every week.  I load each one with an unli 220 plan that is good for 5 days.  Reason is, they seem to give a little leeway on their download caps if you are not a heavy user.  By switching sims it appears I only use half what I really do.

I mention it because switching sims may also cause your ISP to change but I don't know.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Mike, the consensus of the network professionals is that there is little or no security implications for having a static vs dynamic address. The public IP address is assigned to the modem so, unless you're a network admin for the ISP, you have no control over it. The main thing is that you have a good firewall and are using a strong security protocol and encryption like WPA2-AES on your internal network. You can check and configure that yourself, whether you're using your own router or Globe's. 

But if you're really concerned with changing your IP adddress for security reasons or whatever, use a VPN. Every time you reconnect you should get a new one.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Mike, the consensus of the network professionals is that there is little or no security implications for having a static vs dynamic address. The public IP address is assigned to the modem so, unless you're a network admin for the ISP, you have no control over it. The main thing is that you have a good firewall and are using a strong security protocol and encryption like WPA2-AES on your internal network. You can check and configure that yourself, whether you're using your own router or Globe's. 

But if you're really concerned with changing your IP adddress for security reasons or whatever, use a VPN. Every time you reconnect you should get a new one.

I agree. Before the days of gmail, cheap website hosting, AWS and VPS; it was a big plus to have a static IP address so you could run a server and host some internet services from your home. I used to have to pay an extra $10/month to have a static IP address.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Yup! From a guy who used to sit there and build networks for offices and call centers, if you're a home user, go with what costs less... Which, obviously...

:D

• 2 weeks later...
MikeB
Posted
Posted

If you look at your Globe bill it will indicate if the IP is static or dynamic.

I included the Outage Rebate, mine was p448 last month, so they do refund for outages but how they arrive at that number is a mystery. 

post-575-0-00065700-1422750108_thumb.png

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mike ..... I still curious as the first 2 sets of numbers has not changed in a month .... the 3 set as changed by one digit 3 times and the final set has only changed by one digit 5 times in 30 days .... the longest string of having the exact same address is 5 days .... usually the 3rd and 4th set change at the same time by 1 digit .... usually the last one ....

It just seems very strange that after 6 years of having a very different IP address each time I start my computer I now get this ..... if someone could figure out my first 2 sets it would be pretty simple to figure out the last 2 with a hacking program .... it would decrease the chance of security by 50% .... plus with the last 2 sets being almost the same each time it would decrease security to 90% .....

Just not sure exactly what is going on ..... :unsure:

:cheersty:

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Yes, it's odd but I also got a new modem during this time so that may be it, I don't know. Anyway, I posted the question on the Globe Community web site and I'll see if anyone can answer.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Thanks again Mike ..... my modem is at least 2 years and could be more .... I think I brought it with me from Cebu .... but then maybe not .... :rolleyes:

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mike ..... I still curious as the first 2 sets of numbers has not changed in a month .... the 3 set as changed by one digit 3 times and the final set has only changed by one digit 5 times in 30 days .... the longest string of having the exact same address is 5 days .... usually the 3rd and 4th set change at the same time by 1 digit .... usually the last one ....

It just seems very strange that after 6 years of having a very different IP address each time I start my computer I now get this ..... if someone could figure out my first 2 sets it would be pretty simple to figure out the last 2 with a hacking program .... it would decrease the chance of security by 50% .... plus with the last 2 sets being almost the same each time it would decrease security to 90% .....

Just not sure exactly what is going on ..... :unsure:

The IP address gets assigned by the router you are connecting to. Most likely globe has reconfigured their network and made the pool of IP addresses available for use at the router where you connect smaller.

Why do you think having a static IP address impacts your internet security so much? Attacks over the internet are constant and rarely target a specific IP address. They are done by programs and bots which scan and try to run exploits on all IP addresses. If you use a firewall and are not running any public internet services like a website at your home you don't have much to worry about. Most security issues for home users come from infecting your computer from something you download, javascript from a malicious website or is on a USB stick you share.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Most likely globe has reconfigured their network and made the pool of IP addresses available for use at the router where you connect smaller.

Well that is more my concern than someone from the outside hacking me .... could it be that maybe because of some of my downloading habits Globe has restricted my IP usage so they can better monitor my usage .... by restricting me to only last digit changes it would be rather simple to see and or record what I'm doing .... just a thought ....  :thumbsup: