Did Globe Go Static

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)

Most likely globe has reconfigured their network and made the pool of IP addresses available for use at the router where you connect smaller.

Well that is more my concern than someone from the outside hacking me .... could it be that maybe because of some of my downloading habits Globe has restricted my IP usage so they can better monitor my usage .... by restricting me to only last digit changes it would be rather simple to see and or record what I'm doing .... just a thought ....  :thumbsup:

They have all the logs going back a long time so they know exactly what IP address you had at any one time. Very simple for them to get that data for your account if they need to. The data most likely is put in a database so it is easy for them to generate reports. Using Occam's razor it is more likely they just updated their equipment than reconfigured their network just to track you. Reconfiguring the network as you suggest is not a routine thing to do and they would need a very very good reason to make that change. If you are really concerned you could start using a VPN and they no longer will know how you use the Globe network.

Edited by earthdome
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted
If you are really concerned you could start using a VPN and they no longer will know how you use the Globe network.

Thank you sir .... but with PB now down I get a little paranoid downloading from other torrent sites and with the US and the entertainment industry putting more and more pressure on tracking who is doing what I guess I keep looking over my shoulder ....  :hystery:  :hystery:  .... a VPN would be good but my download speed is already way to slow so I guess I'll just chance it ....  :rolleyes: 

:cheersty:

earthdome
Posted
Posted

FYI, if you use a VPN which has a server in the Netherlands, i.e. your internet looks like it comes from the Netherlands, you are protected from all that.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well after 7 days now with still the same IP I took earthdome's advise and turned to a VPN ..... I had Hotspot Shield (the free version) before and it was kinda slow for downloading so I went to the Hotspot Shield Elite ..... gives me a choice of 10 different countries to choose from seems to work good so far but haven't tried downloading any lengthy downloads yet .... my version is good until 2/12/2018 .... :thumbsup:

jpbago
Posted
Posted

My IP has changed each of the past 3 days but Globe has been slow to load and I am getting "server overloaded " messages.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

OK I'm downloading 6.7 GIB at 204 KIBs with no internet action .... with the internet being used it drops to 173 - 189 KIB's ..... uploading remains quite steady at 28-30 KIB's .... so I guess the VPN seems to work good .... did have to switch from Hong Kong to India as HK was pretty slow before I started downloading ....

Guess I am now a happy camper ... for the time being ..... :dance:

Thanks to you guys for all your help ..... :cheers:

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Well after 7 days now with still the same IP I took earthdome's advise and turned to a VPN ..... I had Hotspot Shield (the free version) before and it was kinda slow for downloading so I went to the Hotspot Shield Elite ..... gives me a choice of 10 different countries to choose from seems to work good so far but haven't tried downloading any lengthy downloads yet .... my version is good until 2/12/2018 .... :thumbsup:

With using a VPN set to India, after you have informed your credit card bank that you will be using your card in the Philippines, will your transaction be denied and maybe your card blocked? I don't mean you personally, just an example.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

With using a VPN set to India, after you have informed your credit card bank that you will be using your card in the Philippines, will your transaction be denied and maybe your card blocked? I don't mean you personally, just an example.

As long as he is using a Philippine card to a Philippine business, it won't matter.

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

If I check on my US based CC on-line I will just shut off the Hotspot Shield and revert back to my normal IP .... I think that would be OK .... but I think the best thing is just to use the VPN when I download like I did yesterday .... but thanks for the heads up .... I didn't really think of that ..... :thumbsup:

Edited by Mike S

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

Isn't it because Globe have now fixed the IP addresses to the services they offer.  DSL is 192.xxx.xxx.xx  Tattoo is 112.xxx.xx.xx  LTE is 168.xxx.xx.xxx.  The numbers are not correct they are actually PLDT numbers which I use and they are for DSL, Smart and LTE plus another set for that new system which isn't available in Manila.

• Like 2