Security Guards Everywhere - Why?

aberdeen
Posted
Posted

I just joined this forum a couple of days ago and obviously don't want to needlessly offend anyone, since every country has its problems. However, I am very curious as to the sheer number of armed security guards in both Makita, been there for four days, and Cebu City for the past nine days. I am an American who has been all over Asia on six other trips in the past ten years. I have found Asia to be very friendly, relaxed, peaceful, and safe. I have never been to the Middle East or to South America but have read and heard that they are much less safe than is Asia.

Maybe it's just me, but I was stunned at seeing all the security guards, not just at the hotels, but at convenience stores and at nightclubs - even at seven in the morning of all times. I will never forget going into a Pizza Hut in the middle of the afternoon in Makita and having a guard stationed outside. Why? Is crime really that bad? I just don't understand. In Cebu it's the same thing. Having armed guards at banks seems reasonable, although don't they have insurance and ways to alert the police without tipping off the robbers?

Is having all these guards make me feel safer? I suppose yes, although I assumed when I came here that the Philippines was a generally safe place to begin with. Besides instilling fear in the public and making Westerners feel less paranoid, one other goal may be to provide employment for young healthy men. In an ideal world, they would have more productive work to perform. If it keeps them off the streets and out of trouble, then I guess there's not much to complain about.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

The way I see it is a deterrent for would be crimes. Not to say a guard will save the day but looks the part. Yes theres been armed holds inside shopping malls regardless of security but what else can you do?

When you think about the fact that so many live in poverty the crime rate must get high as desperate people will do desperate things so guards are there to prevent this.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
I just joined this forum a couple of days ago

Welcome to the Philippines and the Forum, as time goes by you will see the answers to the Question Unfold. :rolleyes:

JP :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
don't they have insurance and ways to alert the police without tipping off the robbers?

Have you ever seen an episode of 'Keystone Kops'?  If there was a robbery at your store you can kiss your stuff goodbye and the thieves will be laughing all the way home.  In fact, I remember a news report of a robbery in Cebu (I think) of an LBC outlet (I think that was it) where the mayor blamed the store for the loss because they did not have any security guards.  As to insurance, I do not know of any stores with insurance.

So the instances of robbery are probably no worse than other countries, just the police response is.

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted
I have never been to the Middle East or to South America but have read and heard that they are much less safe than is Asia.

I have travelled extensively in PI over the last 8 years and have condo in cebu, must say thus far have felt safe and secure always.  Common sense prevails and I remove rings, expensive watch, iphone etc so as not to attract attention generally.  Never witnessed any crime directly but have heard plenty a story, particularly with burglary and petty thefts.

I live and work in Middle East, Qatar, Dubai and a short time in Saudi.  Never see armed guards, Police are armed but not frequently seen.  Not the boiling point middle eastern countrys i know but feel safer here than i would say living in London or Paris with every thing going at home :(

There is an element of suppression with the press but in my 8 years I have never even seen a pub brawl.  Perhaps due to the more mature (older) people from all walks of life working here in professional roles.....

Another 5 years and role on early retirement in PI. :thumbsup:  :cheersty:

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Here in Iloilo we have them everywhere too, but I cannot really see a reason for it.  Except maybe an insurance thing?  Or there is a strong security mafia tied in with some legislator?

But in Cebu I was glad to see them.  They helped keep the beggars out of the restaurants.  Especially the roving packs of kids.    :tiphat:

• Like 1

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Many security guards perform several jobs, from opening the door for you, cleaning tables, directing traffic and many other things. I think along with the deterrent aspect, they are a relatively in-expensive source of additional employment.

In all my years here, I have never seen a security guard use, or for that matter even take out his/her gun, and some of them are carrying firearms that look older than I am!

There certainly are some huge contracts, with the larger security firms, and they may have political associations/connections which would also explain why there are so many of them. (I only know this, as I was thinking of joining their association, so that I could get some possible connections for potential customers for our two-way radios/walkie-talkies.)

Generally though, I find them very helpful, and pleasant.

The Philippines may do some out of the ordinary kind of things, but this is one where I am not sure it is a bad idea.

Just my thoughts.

Papa Carl

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
in my 8 years I have never even seen a pub brawl

In my 8 years here I have seen more than a few of them.  BUT always involving expats aged 45 to 75.  Most times the security guards break it up and fortunately, as far as I know, none of the geriatric fighters ended up in jail or hospital.  Lately I quit drinking and have not seen any more pub brawls.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I have much pleasure in answering the question posed by Aberdeen.

It's really, really, simple:

It is a requirement of the building insurance policy that security guards be employed.

Q.E.D. 

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I just joined this forum a couple of days ago and obviously don't want to needlessly offend anyone, since every country has its problems. However, I am very curious as to the sheer number of armed security guards in both Makita, been there for four days, and Cebu City for the past nine days. I am an American who has been all over Asia on six other trips in the past ten years. I have found Asia to be very friendly, relaxed, peaceful, and safe. I have never been to the Middle East or to South America but have read and heard that they are much less safe than is Asia.

Maybe it's just me, but I was stunned at seeing all the security guards, not just at the hotels, but at convenience stores and at nightclubs - even at seven in the morning of all times. I will never forget going into a Pizza Hut in the middle of the afternoon in Makita and having a guard stationed outside. Why? Is crime really that bad? I just don't understand. In Cebu it's the same thing. Having armed guards at banks seems reasonable, although don't they have insurance and ways to alert the police without tipping off the robbers?

Is having all these guards make me feel safer? I suppose yes, although I assumed when I came here that the Philippines was a generally safe place to begin with. Besides instilling fear in the public and making Westerners feel less paranoid, one other goal may be to provide employment for young healthy men. In an ideal world, they would have more productive work to perform. If it keeps them off the streets and out of trouble, then I guess there's not much to complain about.

Do not be alarmed by the quantity, it's quantity over quality. I had a jail guard I was thinking of buying a car from ask me if I wanted to hold his gun, Taurus 92 on the pattern of the Beretta probably 16 shots of 9mm. It was fairly rusty but still functional. I had to say sorry, foreigner you know? not supposed to hold guns.

Many of the guards I have seen have rusty guns and have probably  never fired them, exception being one MRT guard I spoke with, older man, his gun was what we term plum from the lightest of surface rust reacting with the original blue, in other words, it was well cared for. That gun I guarantee will work and nobody is going to snatch it from the holder either because he knows which end the bang comes out of. There are some competent guards here.

• Like 2