Security Guards Everywhere - Why?

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

In effect, I believe the sheer number of security guards in any designated city is astounding if one took the time to count the number of businesses required to have that service. Many of these businesses can't affort-nor in many cases have at their disposal high tech state of the art security tools at their disposal. For example in New York City there is foot patrol, bike, and horse patrol for 3 or 4 cops that may cover a 4 or 5 block area-give or take.

I don't think there's much insentive to move in this direction in the Philippines because, as stated earlier the high number of guards at all these businesses means there are that much less unemployed men and women. Ten people doing the job of two spreads the budgeted wealth pretty thin, but it is what it is as far as getting people working-kind of like sales clerks in malls and trike drivers in many cases.

• Like 2

Lou49
Posted
Posted

They are also there to search employes before they exit to the street.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Total number of security guards outnumber the national police force. That is saying a lot when there are over 150,000 national police officers. In Metro Manila it is something like four to one ratio. Why?

If a retail store, restaurant or hotel hires, the government labor policy is, "Once hired, never fired." A security guard is contract labor from a licensed security agency. Management has the option of requesting for a replacement. Their job is to keep non-customers away (i.e., street living children and beggars). They open the door for customers, help clean tables and assist regular employees in providing service.

Philippine stores and banks have no insurance against robberies. In theory, the security guards will put up a fight. Some do and some don't. In US banks, the insurance policy requires no resistance. The liability is tremendous if an employee or customer is killed or injured.

The maximum number of security guards with a single licensed agency is 1,000. This is to prevent the formation of private armies. Political families still like having a security agency among the businesses owned as a source of armed bodyguards and for power.

Large numbers of security guards are one way to provide employment. In the United States, labor is expensive. Banks therefore have other deterrents. When a bank teller receives a note claiming its a robbery; she hands over cash including a packet with an exploding dye that is difficult to remove and the latest, a GPS tracking device to help law enforcement.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

They are also there to search employes before they exit to the street.

And expats trying to sneak into the store carrying an umbrella on a rainy day.  One such guard stopped me, even though my umbrella folds up and fits in my pocket, and told me he could not let me in to Lee Plaza carrying such an item.  I said I shall be pleased to spend my money at Robinsons across the street and it made me feel better to do so.  PS: The guard at Robinsons let me in with my umbrella.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

in my 8 years I have never even seen a pub brawl

In my 8 years here I have seen more than a few of them.  BUT always involving expats aged 45 to 75.  Most times the security guards break it up and fortunately, as far as I know, none of the geriatric fighters ended up in jail or hospital.  Lately I quit drinking and have not seen any more pub brawls.

Hmm a bit of a coincidence? Dave stops drinking and the fights stop. Sometimes the answer is right under our noses. Anyway with Dave not drinking means more beer for me at our next forum gathering in 2096.

:cheersty:

Oh, I think I hijacked this topic. Can't get good help these days.  :no:

• Like 5

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Aberdeen, during my first visit here years ago I also was astounded by the number of guards around. If your safety is a concern and the number of guards give you the feeling that the Philippines is over all an unsafe place BECUASE of the number of guards, I personally would say don't let that be a major factor in any decisions.

To me it falls into the category of "IT IS WHAT IT IS".

After you have been here for a while the question of "WHY DO THEY DO IT THIS WAY????" The question of the number of security guards will fall way, way down on that list :hystery:

• Like 4

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

It's not just businesses that have guards, they have them in family homes too.

• Like 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

OP has travelled around Asia. I wonder if this includes Mainland China? Here in Beijing uniformed security guards are a common sight. Not in every little shop admittedly, but in larger stores, office buildings, residential compounds, bars, and nightclubs to name just a few.

As in the Philippines they provide extra pairs of hands. I have seen them busing tables in restaurants,clearing away snow and helping customers. I went to pay my electricity bill the other day and the security guard in the State Grid office helped me use the payment terminal. AFAIK unlike the Philippines rent-a-cops here are all government employees.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

My BIL has been a security guard for 11 years with at least 4 different agencies in Cebu City; at the malls, supermarket, and one car dealership. He didn't voluntarily leave, the agencies were taken over by other agencies. The uniforms they wear are bought by the guards themselves, they are not reimbursed. They frequently are required to attend training class or seminars. Not only are they not paid while in training, they have to pay the costs of the training themselves. There is no vacation pay, if you take time off it's unpaid. If you are sick you have to apply to SSS to be paid, the company pays nothing. The medical benefits consist of the company taking deductions out and making payments to Philhealth. They are requested to be at work in uniform for inspection 30 minutes before punch in but are not paid. It's not required but if you don't do it you will be the first to go. He works 13 hours per shift, usually 7 days a week, and they are rotated between night and day. It can change at any time. They do make overtime for working over 8 hours but the pay, by any standard, is awful.

It is truly a miserable job in every possible sense. Please try to keep this in mind when dealing with these people.

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Mike, you reminded me of a friend in Cebu who works as a security guard at a hotel... He only works 6 days a week but day number 6 is a 24 hour shift! When I left Cebu, I didn't have room for a few food items so I asked him if he wanted them... He was amazed I was thinking of tossing them! For his family, the spaghetti and packaged sauce were a treat - as was the olive oil, pancake mix and a bottle of Mr Clean...