Renting A House - Should I Pay Utilities Myself Or Through Owner?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I found the house I want to rent... 2 bedrooms, kitchen extension completed, secure, pool in subdivision, etc. Got the owner to accept a lower rent, 1 month advance and 1 month deposit. Contracts are being drawn. But then I thought of something I haven't heard discussed anywhere...

Should I pay my water and power bill through the landlord or have it changed into my name?

I thought I'd ask for ideas from y'all before I talk to the landlord about it. And hopefully my ACR Card will be ready before the end of the month...

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

I found the house I want to rent... 2 bedrooms, kitchen extension completed, secure, pool in subdivision, etc. Got the owner to accept a lower rent, 1 month advance and 1 month deposit. Contracts are being drawn. But then I thought of something I haven't heard discussed anywhere...

Should I pay my water and power bill through the landlord or have it changed into my name?

I thought I'd ask for ideas from y'all before I talk to the landlord about it. And hopefully my ACR Card will be ready before the end of the month...

Hi Bob, in my situation when I rented here, all the utility bills were left in the owners name, the power bill I just go and pay at the bank, no-one says anything and the water and security bill is paid with-in the sub division, I don't even no if you could change them into your name and now knowing what it's like here would probably be a nightmare. Ask the owner if you have to pay a monthly amount for security, something I wasn't told till I got the bill :lol:

• Like 3

sjp52
Posted
Posted

We just go pay it at the office and get a receipt.  It stayed in the owners name

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I agree with Chris .... the townhouse we are renting comes with the electric bill in the owners name but the bill comes to us .... we then just take the bill down and pay it .... no fuss no muss .... :thumbsup:

Now a word of caution to those that might get into the sub-meter situation .... we found out the hard way that you will pay more for your electricity the landlord charges than what the electric company charges .... in our case it was quite a bit more .... but live and learn .... :1 (103):

:cheersty:

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Leave the bill's in the landlord's name but pay them yourself. Often you can pay them all at a bank or mall.

Do not give money to landlord or someone else to pay your bills. I had a problem when I did that where they paid the bills late incurring a late fee. Someone else in my building ended up getting their water turned off because of this. 

• Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

And hopefully my ACR Card will be ready before the end of the month...

Bob. I paid for my ACR card a year ago, still waiting for it, every time I go to BI I ask if it is there yet, sorry sir not available now will check and call you Monday, they never call. :bash:  I am not sure but with the new ID at BI will they issue a different and update card. :1 (103):

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Bob. I paid for my ACR card a year ago, still waiting for it, every time I go to BI I ask if it is there yet, sorry sir not available now will check and call you Monday, they never call. :bash:  I am not sure but with the new ID at BI will they issue a different and update card. :1 (103):

When I did the paperwork for mine, I was told 3 weeks and maybe 4 if they're busy... But over a year? Of be taking my receipts in and asking them to re-do it!

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

When I did the paperwork for mine, I was told 3 weeks and maybe 4 if they're busy... But over a year? Of be taking my receipts in and asking them to re-do it!

They can see I have paid as it is marked in my passport when they had the old visa stamp, I don't worry about it I never have been asked by any one here to show it. maybe now they have the new ID system in place it will actually be quicker and may even work.

Edited by frosty (chris)
  • Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The utilities are almost always kept in the owner's name. Before signing leases (basically not worth the paper they're printed on) and handing over deposits, 1st and last, etc it may be worthwhile to check that the utilities are paid and current to the start of lease. It hasn't happened to me but I've heard that others were surprised to learn the acct was thousands in arrears before they moved in and couldn't be reconnected till paid.

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted

It is very difficult to change the name on utility bills even from my wife's mother to my wife's name. Need lots of paperwork and signatures and fees. We got our water bill changed only by way of a friend that works there but the electric and Globe are not worth the hassle to change. I hear that even after the person is dead, the name can stay on the bills. It usually stays with the title name on the property.

I say to leave the bills in the landlord's name but you pay them yourself, or like another has said, his landlady pays the bills as she has to go there anyways.

• Like 1