Renting A House - Should I Pay Utilities Myself Or Through Owner?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

It is a lot of work to change names on utilities - especially if you are a foreigner.  It took over 6 months to get the satellite TV in my name!   Just pay the landlord...   :tiphat:

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

KEEP THEM IN THE LANDLORDS NAME, as when you move he will need to change them back.

When i 1stmoved here, I too wanted the utilities in "MY NAME",

it is NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE to do this without the paper work, its been years since I asked, but its NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE. i rather be a "forum owner" than deal w/the hassles that  it entailed.

just pay your bills EARLY and keep those receipts,

as 1 poster suggested, Go and check to make sure they are NOT OVERDUE.  

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

In the US utilities in your name are often used as proof of residence, I don't forsee the need for that here.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
The utilities are almost always kept in the owner's name

I would say ALWAYS as the owner of the house actually has to attend a seminar before he can get the power hooked up, but there may be exceptions I have not heard of.  The closet I came to having it in my name was when the owner took me into the power company office and they agreed to put the bill into the owner's name CARE OF my name.

But the crux of it is I have always paid the utilities direct to the power company and that is over 8 years, 7 different houses and 3 different power companies (hard to believe I move around that much until I add them all up)

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

In the US utilities in your name are often used as proof of residence, I don't forsee the need for that here.

Oh but they are here too. We had to use a utility bill to get Cignal satellite TV and for Globe.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Oh but they are here too. We had to use a utility bill to get Cignal satellite TV and for Globe.

For me a copy of the lease was sufficient.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I paid my electric to my landlady.  She showed me receipts that she paid the electric company... we still got our power cut off (our house and hers) ha ha.  They cut off the wrong house and actually tried to charge a reconnect fee!  Welcome to the Philippines ha ha

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
Bob. I paid for my ACR card a year ago, still waiting for it, every time I go to BI I ask if it is there yet, sorry sir not available now will check and call you Monday, they never call. :bash: I am not sure but with the new ID at BI will they issue a different and update card. :1 (103):

Okay.  Although I would never wish bad luck on anyone, it some way I feel better when I see things like this happening to someone other than myself.  Sometimes it seems these things only happen to me!  Sometimes several things like this happen at the same time.  I even ask my wife," is it me or am I paranoid? Why do these always happen to ME? Do these things ever happen to others?" 

anyway, good luck frosty, hope it works out soon.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Just ask to see the bill and pay it, or have them give it to you and go to 7-11 and pay it.

Our water bill is still in my wifes grandmothers name. she has been dead 30 years and the house it was for has been torn down and we rebuilt.

Don't sweat the small stuff IMHO

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Leave the bill's in the landlord's name but pay them yourself.
Yes. That's a good solution.

Important to SEE the bill and it's PAID.

Several have been FOOLED by being TOLD the bill is higher than it realy is,

or MANY use electricity from same connection and the foreigner pay WHOLE...