Thoughts On The Outlaws - The Differences Between Girls And Boys.

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

"What's the difference between in-laws and outlaws?"...

..."Outlaws are wanted!"

- Pope Francis.

Well, I like my in-laws, which is just as well, given there are a lot of them, and if Markham does not dob me in K will not read this so I can comment openly.

What I have noticed is that my nieces are very much more inclined to talk to me than my nephews are; indeed they seem to have more personality than the boys, who tend to seem rather colourless and extremely shy. The same is true of their parents, to a lesser extent, and it may just be that girls pay more attention to English lessons at school than boys do. Or it may be a genuine aspect of Filipino (Visayan) culture.

Anyone else find this?

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

My only nephew was very connected to me as a toddler up until age 8 then shy around me. My Niece is like a daughter very loving and involved. 

• Like 3

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

No discernible differences.  Might be because my Filipino in-laws are so close, that the nephews and nieces have a lot to talk about together.  Most conversations with them are really group conversations. 

And, even individually, the nieces and nephews are equally comfortable chatting me up.

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

A related Outlaw issue - I have often claimed that there is "no such thing as "a" Filipino/Filipina - they never come singly but always in a group.

When we were in Canlaon and K was taken to hospital, on the second night, after I had explained why it would not be a good idea for my six year old stepson to be in the hotel room with me with no-one else present, K's sister was very concerned that I would be going to sleep on my own and suggested that her teenage son should sleep in the room with me. 

It took me some time to convince her that Englishmen are strange creatures and are quite capable of going to sleep un-accompanied.

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
A related Outlaw issue - I have often claimed that there is "no such thing as "a" Filipino/Filipina - they never come singly but always in a group. When we were in Canlaon and K was taken to hospital, on the second night, after I had explained why it would not be a good idea for my six year old stepson to be in the hotel room with me with no-one else present, K's sister was very concerned that I would be going to sleep on my own and suggested that her teenage son should sleep in the room with me. It took me some time to convince her that Englishmen are strange creatures and are quite capable of going to sleep un-accompanied.

Strange as it may sound - my wife dreads the thought of sharing a bedroom with anyone but me. 

The last time she had to do this was when she was in her early teens, vacationing with relatives in the province.  Turned out that they had other guests too, resulting in shared rooms with female cousins.  She said they were all lovely and friendly, and they ended up talking until almost daylight.  So, altogether a pleasant experience for her.  However, she admits to feeling her heart sink when she heard about the arrangement.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
sleep on my own and suggested that her teenage son should sleep in the room with me. 

It must be because of their beliefs in the aswang that they never are alone, day or night, even in their twenties, they need to have someone with them. It is a pain for us to travel as we always need to get someone to stay over.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

It took me some time to convince her that Englishmen are strange creatures and are quite capable of going to sleep un-accompanied.

Hey man you speak for yourself, ME! I like a bit of Company, 

The right sort of Course. :rolleyes:  :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

"What's the difference between in-laws and outlaws?"...

..."Outlaws are wanted!"

- Pope Francis.

Well, I like my in-laws, which is just as well, given there are a lot of them, and if Markham does not dob me in K will not read this so I can comment openly.

What I have noticed is that my nieces are very much more inclined to talk to me than my nephews are; indeed they seem to have more personality than the boys, who tend to seem rather colourless and extremely shy. The same is true of their parents, to a lesser extent, and it may just be that girls pay more attention to English lessons at school than boys do. Or it may be a genuine aspect of Filipino (Visayan) culture.

Anyone else find this?

I believe it depend of (in average) :

/Girls are better at learning language. Which make them have less "lose face" risk, when they talk English.

/I know some  OPPOSITE examples too were the boys have more personality than their sisters. Kids more often copy behaviour from the parents with SAME sex as themselves, so if the father is dull, then most of the sons will be dull.   (Except when each generation find something to bad, so they become OPPOSITE    :)

/Although when it's girls communicating with MEN, they can be better at it, because they are exersised at catching a husband   :lol:

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hey man you speak for yourself, ME! I like a bit of Company, 

The right sort of Course. :rolleyes:  :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:

Well believe it or not part of my Honeymoon consisted of a family room and an extra bed! :1 (103):

It would seem that room sharing with family is the norm in a lot of families especially if one room has air-con and other's dont.

Shyness depends on age, young children once they get use to you being around are fine (Daddy John)

Older children,teenager's need space.

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Ah! That explains why my future niece (8 years old) and adopted daughter thinks she's also my present girlfriend and future wife! In a couple years, she'll be like other women and think of me as dirt?!?

:D

• Like 3