Paying Back A Fathers Debt

Hesalright
Posted
Posted

Hi all

My wife's father died in 2006 after a long illness with brain cancer, his sister in Australia payed for most of his hospital bills.

Is it expected for my wife to pay back that debt now that she is in Australia?? Thoughts....

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

My wife's father died in 2006 after a long illness with brain cancer, his sister in Australia payed for most of his hospital bills. Is it expected for my wife to pay back that debt now that she is in Australia?? Thoughts....

Based on those Thoughts I would say it is up to the WHOLE family to dip in their Pockets or is this another hype on all Foreigners and their wives are rich just because you are in AUS

It may well be expected but it was HER Brother as much as it was Yours wife's Father.

Don't get Stung my friend. Was this discussed before? 9 years is a long time ago, I guess the sister is short of cash just at this time?

If you decide to go ahead well For me, 50% seems the most I would repay. After all you did not Borrow anything. HARSH?  Not from where I see things, Bin there done that and got Stung

JP :tiphat:

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

How many siblings?

• Like 1

Hesalright
Posted
Posted

Six siblings. 1 went to Australia 1 to New Zealand the rest are in Phils

• Like 1

Hesalright
Posted
Posted

My wife has been here for 3 years and it has only been a recent issue. I know her aunt has lots of depts but that's not our problem right???

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

My wife has been here for 3 years and it has only been a recent issue. I know her aunt has lots of debts but that's not our problem right???

I imagine this has come up now because your wife's aunt is short of money.

I don't know of any rules for this situation, but my guess is that the issue will not go away. Can you tell how your wife really feels about it? (This may not be an easy thing to find out.)

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

My wife has been here for 3 years and it has only been a recent issue. I know her aunt has lots of depts but that's not our problem right???

Exactly my Point why Now?

Can I ask how long you have been Married to you Wife Sir.

There are no hard and fast Rules on this sort of thing except those in the Phils will sit back and the rule of the foreigner will pay comes in

AS Mr Meths said, getting your wife to open up her feelings will be hard and may hurt but sit and discuss it you must, if you do anything get Photo copies of ALL and I mean All Expenditure. Please don't settle on a Round Figure from anyone. 

In my Situation I had a Hotel Bill thrown in for Relatives that did not even Attend the Funeral. Man you would be surprised the Strokes that get Pulled.

No one here will try and tell you what you should do, just trying to help you with our own little tales of Woe on these things. You would be so very surprised how many Skirting boards family can crawl from under where money is concerned.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
My wife's father died in 2006

I am curious where he was in hospital.

Lets assume that your wife's father was in hospital in Philippines.  Was his sister asked to pay his bills?  Are he and his sister Australians while your wife and siblings were raised in Philippines?  There are a lot of unanswered questions but I would have to guess that his sister paid because the rest of the family had no money.  Had she not paid then he would have died and there would be no debt.  So is there really a debt now?  Was there anything in her father's estate to repay the sister?  Sounds like a case of:  Let your conscience be your guide.

• Like 5

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
Let your conscience be your guide.

It is probably not technically a debt (unless the aunt was promised repayment), but more of an assistance. 

If your wife were to put herself in her aunt's shoes, would she have some expectation of reciprocated assistance?

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Let your conscience be your guide.

It is probably not technically a debt (unless the aunt was promised repayment), but more of an assistance. 

If your wife were to put herself in her aunt's shoes, would she have some expectation of reciprocated assistance?

I think that is exactly the right way to look at it.

I have a slightly similar situation - a few years ago, before I met her, K's sister was seriously ill and her parents borrowed quite a lot of money for her treatment. The subject has never been mentioned by anyone in the family (a sister in law told me) but I am somewhat aware that if I were to chip something in for this it would not go amiss!

• Like 2