Paying Back A Fathers Debt

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Maybe we are hitting you a little hard here but most of us have come up against this or similar things over the years.

You may like to ask yourself. If it had been your Father (and I don't wish to be or sound Disrespectful Here) The Boot now being on the Other Foot, You had paid for the costs you mention, Now After 9 years you go to your family and say hey, When are you going to repay my spending. I wonder what your family would say? Especially any new or newer than 9 years In-Laws

Another Little Question about the Sister if I may, is she there on her own as an OFW or is she married to an Australian?

Just a Little back ground for very inquiring Mind my friend As DH said it is a matter of Conscience but whose Conscience should it be On?

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

My wife has been here for 3 years and it has only been a recent issue. I know her aunt has lots of depts but that's not our problem right???

Who's debts?

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

It may be "debt" meaning "obligation" (utang).

• Like 3

Lou49
Posted
Posted

If this is a legitimate debt and your wife has six sibs then your wife's share should be one seventh. But watch for fraud..

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
It may well be expected but it was HER Brother as much as it was Yours wife's Father.  
Exactly the sister is closer biologically than the daughter sounds to me the repayment is wanted now a foreigner is involved. Equal shares should be payed by the whole family, not a payment by one person.
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

If it were my wife and I the issue would be closed and I know my wife would handle make it known to our family we are not going there. But we are not you.

What are your wife's thoughts, have you discussed this matter?

Have you and your wife a clear understanding to do with money issues her family may request? 

Lets say you do provide some payment to do with this old debt even a token amount. How many other family members would then be expecting the same? To what end?

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
It may be "debt" meaning "obligation" (utang).

I agree but in that case I would view a Debt as owed by me [the OP in this case or rather his aife] (Clearly not the case here) An Obligation is for the Family as a whole to offset 

Personally, I do not see a Funeral Expense and Hospital Bills as a Debt now after 9 years but a Family Obligation.

MHO only but.........

:tiphat:

*Gosh post 19 and we discuss things without the OP who to me has not been around since Post 5 I wonder if we are getting anywhere with this?

just Asking  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Hesalright
Posted
Posted

I've been married to my wife since 2009. Her family is from Toledo Cebu so I can only assume it was a hospital there I don't think they would have gone to Cebu city for treatment . My wife loved her father more than anyone else but has said that it should not be her responsibility whenever her aunt need money just because of a past dept.

I'm guessing it's not a cultural thing just a person who wants money....

Thanks for the comments

• Like 1