Paying Back A Fathers Debt

i am bob
Posted
Posted

In this case, l would forget about the amount for the father and just remember that the aunt had been the only one able to help at that time. Now she is asking for help though not in the best way... Do you know how badly she is in debt and if without help she may lose her house or something similar? If this is the situation (and if I could afford it), I would consider helping enough to get her able to making her payments again. And with that many OFWs in the family, maybe a family-wide assistance would be nice. The sister stepped in once financially when the family couldn't... It would be nice if the family could reciprocate.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

In this case, l would forget about the amount for the father and just remember that the aunt had been the only one able to help at that time. Now she is asking for help though not in the best way... Do you know how badly she is in debt and if without help she may lose her house or something similar? If this is the situation (and if I could afford it), I would consider helping enough to get her able to making her payments again. And with that many OFWs in the family, maybe a family-wide assistance would be nice. The sister stepped in once financially when the family couldn't... It would be nice if the family could reciprocate.

I agree with Bob here, We read that word "Debt' but if the bills and all in this, have been Met there is No Debt in the legal sense is there?

The only debt I can see is a Debt of Gratitude to the Sister from the Whole Family not just the OP's Wife. This just smells of Foreign Money to me.

Harsh as it may seem My friend, I think you need to be asking the Sister "Just What is it you are after?"

We will be no doubt be going round and round in circles here I think. Until it unfolds a little more.

You were asked what your wife thinks about all this. Her answer to you, will give you some thought about how to Approach this now with a new view.

Our Opinions are based on our own mileage and stores that we have experienced, Living Here is so much Different than Where you are.

One thing that I do Wonder though. What would be the thoughts of all, especially the Sister, If you Lived in the PI and NOT Australia?

This I think, would find a different Slant on Things, Don't you think? 

JP

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I think one of the things many of us missed we missed is that the sister is in Australia rather than the Philippines...

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
I think one of the things many of us missed we missed is that the sister is in Australia rather than the Philippines...

Bob, I think we all knew  where she was/is it was in the second or third Post, The OP said all this has come about Since the OP's wife also moved to Australia, What, I for one am not too sure about is where she is Now, Has she come back to the PI and Brought Debt with her?

As I said it will unfold Further I am sure.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
Hi all My wife's father died in 2006 after a long illness with brain cancer, his sister in Australia payed for most of his hospital bills. Is it expected for my wife to pay back that debt now that she is in Australia?? Thoughts....

Well Young man ( I say this as we don't know much about you yet) You have certainly given us a Topic that will. as it has somewhat already  unveil something i don't think we have experienced here before. As you (and I hope you do) Trawl through the many Topics and 000's nay 0000's of Posts you will see that most of us have this view of the Extended Family that can sometimes seem Harsh and attacking. 

Things are never that Negative but can sometimes seem that way. Most can draw information that can be so very useful in dealing with our own issues.

What I think I am trying to say is please hang in there and don't let us frighten you off.

The one thing you will learn ( As I did some years ago) there is a wealth of Knowledge, Understanding and Compassion from the members here  that we can all learn from and draw information and Ideas.

We don't know it all but in the main all we try and do is Help, Comfort and Guide where we can.

BTW Welcome to the Forum. Hope you Enjoy.  :welcome:

JP

Hi all My wife's father died in 2006 after a long illness with brain cancer, his sister in Australia payed for most of his hospital bills. Is it expected for my wife to pay back that debt now that she is in Australia?? Thoughts....

LOL Monday again got those double posting Blues 

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
UnCheckedOther
Posted
Posted

Who else helped out with your father-in-law's funeral expenses? He was afforded the dignity of a burial and a wake, thanks in part to his sister/your aunt-in-law. Can you really nickle and dime the value of your dad being laid to rest? In my humble opinion, this is a deBt of gratitude for the dignified burial of a man who meant a lot. Help out the aunt once. Reciprocate the kindness given during a difficult time.

• Like 5