British Man Arrested-16 Months On The Run-Philippines

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I wonder if there could be a business opportunity for hiding out those on the run in the Philippines  :yes:

Wanted drug baron John Halliday arrested in Philippines after 16 months on the run

A drug baron who fled the UK before standing trial for running a £13m smuggling racket has been arrested in the Philippines.

John Halliday was the ringleader of a gang responsible for importing hundreds of kilos of class B drugs.

He was first arrested in 2011 following a raid on business premises in Hunslet, Leeds, in October 2011 when 10kgs of drugs with a street value of £250,000 were seized.

Halliday disappeared while on bail in September 2013 and was later jailed in his absence for 10 years.

West Yorkshire Police said proceedings had now begun to bring him back to the UK.

Det Insp Neil Hollis said: “Halliday is a dangerous convicted criminal and we are delighted that he has finally been arrested and is in the custody of the authorities in the Philippines. It has taken a lot of hard work but we are now a step closer to bringing him back to the UK to serve his prison sentence.”

Halliday, formerly of Harrogate, was one of 15 defendants convicted following the largest investigation by West Yorkshire Police into the importation of synthetic drugs.

Police, the National Crime Agency, the Crown Prosecution Service and the Foreign Office were all involved in his arrest.

post-1-0-13499300-1422350269_thumb.jpg

Mike S
Posted
Posted
I wonder if there could be a business opportunity for hiding out those on the run in the Philippines

Not the same as you asked but close ..... there was a Bombay married to a Filipina living near Pontavedra (sp) who had a neat set-up he had a big house behind a concrete wall with lots of rooms in it and when the heat was on the Bombay's living here in Negros Occidental they would all flee to his house and hide out until the coast was clear .... they did this for years until the guy and his wife split up and the house was sold .... not sure where they go now ...  :thumbsup: 

:cheersty:   

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Halliday disappeared while on bail in September 2013 and was later jailed in his absence for 10 years.

I think he shouldn't mind being jailed in his absence.  Does that mean he only had to hide for the 10 years and his jail term would be up? :cheersty:

• Like 4

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I think he shouldn't mind being jailed in his absence.  Does that mean he only had to hide for the 10 years and his jail term would be up? :cheersty:

Ask Ronnie Biggs - the answer is "no!"  :cheersty:

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
A drug baron who fled the UK before standing trial for running a £13m smuggling racket has been arrested in the Philippines. John Halliday was the ringleader of a gang responsible for importing hundreds of kilos of class B drugs. He was first arrested in 2011 following a raid on business premises in Hunslet, Leeds, in October 2011 when 10kgs of drugs with a street value of £250,000 were seized. Halliday disappeared while on bail in September 2013 and was later jailed in his absence for 10 years.
Oh. You let BIG criminals BUY freedom in UK too ?!!!   I find such systems realy STUPID. Not odd they run when they expect long jail time...

In Sweden BIG criminals are KEPT in custody until court > jail...

(SMALLER crimes are let out here during the process.)

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

In Canada, all the time a person does in jail before trial counts as double time served... (You should see the guys who know they're gonna lose at trial - turning down bail and then delaying their trials as long as they can!)

Do they do the same in the "old country"?

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ask Ronnie Biggs -   :cheersty:

Psssst...... He died a little while back!

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Ask Ronnie Biggs - Psssst...... He died a little while back!

Details, details....

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Details, details....

:unsure: Mr Meths The Story. Enjoy the Read. :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Biggs

I hope this is what you wanted, John will be along Later and I hope I have not trodden on his Toes  :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:  :morning1:

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Ask Ronnie Biggs -   :cheersty:

Psssst...... He died a little while back!

Can't you speak with the dead???    :)

(I can't, but I have told some Filipinos, I'm friend with wak.waks   :mocking: