Owning Home Cost

Kengolf
Posted
Posted (edited)

I agree that everyone is a property realtor here, we are looking to buy in Davao and the amount of variation in standards and prices is mind blowing.

If there is anyone that know a good reliable realtor in the Davao area then let me know please. 

Edited by Kengolf

dick mammoth
Posted
Posted

just carry the insurance cost yourself. If you are in a subdivision and have a concrete house ,the chances of a fire are very low.

same for contents insurance. Get cctv cameras and an alarm and a safe and carry the risk yourself.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

When Ondoy hit Manila in 2009 my friend's concrete house was structurally fine but there was major damage to the insides and all the appliances were lost due to water and mud. The water was up to the rooftops of 2 story houses. Everything inside was lost - tvs, computers, refs. a/c all gone. Also new car. It cost a fortune but he was able to rebuild it better because his insurance paid. He was one of the few home owners who even had insurance, some of the rest are still repairing little by little more than 5 years later. The insurance company told him he would have to wait 5 years to re-apply. Two years later another bad typhoon, not as bad as Ondoy but major damage still. Most of his life savings was wiped out, if it happens again he has to walk away. If you're willing to take the risk you can save a few pesos in insurance, no doubt. Wouldn't be my choice.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Anyone have personal experience with a claim?

How about second hand experience?  A friend who used that insurance company told me in 2010 that his wife had been in 3 accidents and Malayan insurance paid out on all three claims. Cost?  At that time he told me he was paying about 10K pesos a year for his insurance

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
How about second hand experience?  A friend who used that insurance company told me in 2010 that his wife had been in 3 accidents and Malayan insurance paid out on all three claims. Cost?  At that time he told me he was paying about 10K pesos a year for his insurance

Thanks, that sounds good. Maybe he should send the wife to driving lessons.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
deevey
Posted
Posted (edited)

Rbm you can pm me what the insurance office told you.lol.i wasnt sure insurance was a real option in phils..

Actually this is a real misconception here.

Personally know of instances where not only have Insurances companies paid out here, they have gone to extremes to provide excellent service....Hard to believe but true.

Blue Cross I have witnessed first hand with a friend hospitalized, they were excellent. Also Malayan insurance have a good reputation for paying out on vehicle accidents.  I have my new car with them.

I can recommend BPI MS We have our Car with and they seem great to deal with ... e.g. a minor car park bump we had with a Brand new Fortuner (our fault) .. All was sorted within in a few Minutes on the phone once we emailed all the documents across.

No increase in the next years insurance - we are paying just under 10k 

Dicing between keeping on using them or switching to AA Philippines as they seem to offer better coverage for the Driver, passengers and payouts to family members in case of accident and will provide Fully Comp for cars over 10 years old. 

Edited by deevey
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
RBM
Posted
Posted
MikeB, on 06 Feb 2015 - 09:03 AM, said: Anyone have personal experience with a claim?

Not exactly first hand Dave but...

I use have been with this broker for many years.