Are We Obligated To Pay The Cedula ?

Rain44
Posted
Posted

Trying to release a shipment in manila dock and broker told me I need certain requiements to get it cleared through customs. One is the TIN ID. To get that however i need a barangay clearance and to get that I need a voters id and cedula payment. No voters id. Just seems like a paradox to get things that can't get as a non-philippines citizen. I question the Cedula. Why pay philippines tax when I am not their citizen ? Makes no sense. Woman at cedula counter will charge me 1500 pesos based on my job in the US while everyone else is paying 20 pesos....wtf ?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Hi ya rain...Cedula? That's a new term to me. When we had our container shipped it was all fees were taken care of by our shipping agent (allied van lines international). The only surprise we had was having to pay USA customs fee when they decided to inspect our van in Long Beach.

Are you retired and shipping house hold goods? Or coming on a work visa maybe that might change things. Wish I could be of more help.

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Cedula... maybe that's like the Italian term "bustarella", literally meaning 'little envelope'.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I question the Cedula. Why pay philippines tax when I am not their citizen ? Makes no sense. Woman at cedula counter will charge me 1500 pesos based on my job in the US while everyone else is paying 20 pesos....wtf ?

The "cedula" applies to "inhabitants", not citizens. This article is several years old but has some information on costs and exemptions. No idea how someone in a barangay office would know about your job in the US unless you told them.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/nation/view/20060811-14664/What_is_a_

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Trying to release a shipment in manila dock and broker told me I need certain requiements to get it cleared through customs. One is the TIN ID. To get that however i need a barangay clearance and to get that I need a voters id and cedula payment. No voters id. Just seems like a paradox to get things that can't get as a non-philippines citizen. I question the Cedula. Why pay philippines tax when I am not their citizen ? Makes no sense. Woman at cedula counter will charge me 1500 pesos based on my job in the US while everyone else is paying 20 pesos....wtf ?

Sounds like a headache and I think your broker has no idea. You have not told us what you are trying to get released from the port. Is your shipment for personal use or commercial? 

Are you running a business in the Philippines or any reason you should be paying tax where you require a TIN?  This is the requirements for a TIN, http://www.bir.gov.ph/index.php/registration-requirements/primary-registration/application-for-tin.html

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Well. It DON'T depend of if you are citizen in Phils or not.

It depend of if you EARN the money in Phils or not, That goes for Philippine citizens too   = No income tax in Phils if earning it abroad.

So IF it's BUSINESS things you are trying to get through the custom, I suppouse they asume you have business in Phils.

NOTE! Even if the business has a LOSS, the MINIMUM tax is 2 % of the REVEUE.

(Tax agreements between Phils and your home country can make exceptions.)

• Like 3

Rain44
Posted
Posted

I do not have a business in the philippines and this cargo is for personal use. Its just caramel blocks for baking. I told them about my job in the states because they asked for it when I got to their office. Specifically told them I do not have a business here but they say I still must pay the tax based on my occupation in the states...makes no sense to me.

If my broker doesnt know what to do then how will i know. This is the third broker I went through now. The other two gave a huge price to release the cargo. The problem is the caramel blocks I guess was too heavy and had to be cleared my BFAD for personal use. Bfad cleared it with an OK but still I am going through some fees to get this finally delivered. Customs wanted me to get a once a year permit to release it. To get the once a year I need a tin number and tin id. To get the Tin id i need a barangay clearance. To get the barangay clearance I need a VOTERS ID ?!?!?!?! just doesnt make any DAMN sense the system here to accept a food cargo! How do I get a voters id when I am not even a Phillipines Citizen ??

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

just doesnt make any DAMN sense the system here to accept a food cargo!

And there my Friend may lie another part of the Problem Importing a "Food stuff without the Proper License"

JP

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

What they are trying to tell you is they intend to keep it for themselves to sell off. The money and requirements are to make you just give it up and walk away from it. Welcome to the Philippines where corruption is the national past time.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
The money and requirements are to make you just give it up and walk away from it.

:unsure:  Lets face it we have all been here long enough to know, If any of the Authorities say we need to Pay :rolleyes: We just got to put our hands in our Pockets. Newbies and Tourists will learn this Quick enough :1 (103):

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1