Are We Obligated To Pay The Cedula ?

Rain44
Posted
Posted

just doesnt make any DAMN sense the system here to accept a food cargo!

And there my Friend may lie another part of the Problem Importing a "Food stuff without the Proper License"

JP

I am very new to shipping items from the US to here. I didnt know I needed a license to ship a personal food items. Big lesson learned. But although BFAD approved the personal use of this shipment. It shouldn't be such a problem anymore.

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

contact AMCHAM and ask them,, American chamber of commerce here in makati

regarding INCOME. state that your "RETIRED"

regarding CEDULA , never had a problem in obtaining mine, just go and pay the 12-15p.

what city are you asking?

that could be the reason they are wanting $$$

CEDULA,,its best to go ahead and get one(at least in my experience)

As in some places

its requested or a"requirement" When trying to do a government transaction.

Edited by Je suis Pittman Apt Sgn
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

How big of a quantity are we talking? Enough to give the impression it might be for commercial use or resale? If that's the case why would the authorities believe you when you say its for your personal use. Trust by government employees (in most nations) is not one of their long suits. Here in the Philippines? You usually trust batch mates and blood relatives, and sometimes not them lolololzzz.

Be prepared though, I have found that anything that is imported for personal use is subject to Valued Added Tax (VAT) for example if you order some CD's via Amazon the post office will hold it, open it in front of  you, look at the shipping receipt and ask you to pay the Philippine VAT right there before you get your package. Being suspicious and thinking they were just trying to gouge me, I asked to see the regulation, and there it was in black and white. They gave me an official receipt (with a BIR tracking number on it and everything). 

So unless your bringing in some balikbayan boxes with a couple of cans of spam or some chili mixed in with your cloths and books you can most likely expect to get hit by some sort of tax.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I do not have a business in the philippines and this cargo is for personal use. Its just caramel blocks for baking. I told them about my job in the states because they asked for it when I got to their office. Specifically told them I do not have a business here but they say I still must pay the tax based on my occupation in the states...makes no sense to me. If my broker doesnt know what to do then how will i know. This is the third broker I went through now. The other two gave a huge price to release the cargo. The problem is the caramel blocks I guess was too heavy and had to be cleared my BFAD for personal use. Bfad cleared it with an OK but still I am going through some fees to get this finally delivered. Customs wanted me to get a once a year permit to release it. To get the once a year I need a tin number and tin id. To get the Tin id i need a barangay clearance. To get the barangay clearance I need a VOTERS ID ?!?!?!?! just doesnt make any DAMN sense the system here to accept a food cargo! How do I get a voters id when I am not even a Phillipines Citizen ??

Lets look at it in this way. Is the shipment worth the huge price they are trying to extract? Would it be better this time to pay and forget? Is it possible to "sell" the shipment to a Filipino friend, give a receipt and see if they can have it released.

Rain44
Posted
Posted

This whole affair seems like I'm getting just blatantly ripped off.

The cedula is no longer my concern although I already paid 1500 php for it. Thats nothing now compared to what the broker just advised me now what I must to do get a $400 caramel shipment to be released.

1. get a once a year import permit to release the goods 10k pesos

2. Lift abandonment status 19k (they considered it abandoned if over 30 days but they didnt tell me the cargo arrived till 2 weeks after it docked and they had government holidays such as the 5 day pope visit etc)

3. The receivers fees for receiving the items 15k (which is different from the shipping company cost which they will not state the cost beforehand what the other company will charge leaving you to believe that its the full package from shipping to receiving is fixed)

Then after this is paid the broker mentioned it will cost an additional 21k

PCIC Warehouse fee to date (40 days to date) 15k

truck delivery 5k

brokers fee 2k

All grand total to get my $400 caramel is about 62k php , $1400 !!!

Broker explained that these fees from the Customs are not receipted and they are as "in kind" and that these prices are there to suggest them to release it. In her previous experience with Customs if the cost is too low they will not release the package and just end up keeping them. Recipients are really at the mercy of what customs wishes to charge.

Other brokers before hand were going to charge 140k + because the personal items don't have an import license. But the BFAD approved it as Personal items.

if ANYONE can please help, PLEASE do.

I will try AMCHAM tomorrow as I am close to Makati.

Rain44
Posted
Posted

I do not have a business in the philippines and this cargo is for personal use. Its just caramel blocks for baking. I told them about my job in the states because they asked for it when I got to their office. Specifically told them I do not have a business here but they say I still must pay the tax based on my occupation in the states...makes no sense to me. If my broker doesnt know what to do then how will i know. This is the third broker I went through now. The other two gave a huge price to release the cargo. The problem is the caramel blocks I guess was too heavy and had to be cleared my BFAD for personal use. Bfad cleared it with an OK but still I am going through some fees to get this finally delivered. Customs wanted me to get a once a year permit to release it. To get the once a year I need a tin number and tin id. To get the Tin id i need a barangay clearance. To get the barangay clearance I need a VOTERS ID ?!?!?!?! just doesnt make any DAMN sense the system here to accept a food cargo! How do I get a voters id when I am not even a Phillipines Citizen ??

Lets look at it in this way. Is the shipment worth the huge price they are trying to extract? Would it be better this time to pay and forget? Is it possible to "sell" the shipment to a Filipino friend, give a receipt and see if they can have it released.

It is now beyond giving to a filipino friend and seeing if it can be released. The only thing now that I would consider is abandoning it. But I really need it. These are special caramel and also after going through more than half the hoops I would feel like total failure to have given up. Im torn to what to do.