Donsol And Whale Sharks

JonPalawan
Posted
Posted (edited)

I visited Donsol several years ago and swam with a whale shark. I still get goose bumps just thinking about it. I was in my late sixties at the time, and not as strong as I once was. Our guide saw that, and grabbed my wrist to tow me over the shark, allowing me to see it head to tail. I was so close that I couldn't see the entire shark in one view. Even with only one arm to swim with (he was holding my wrist with the other arm) he pulled me really hard. Youtube has a whale shark documentary that features Donsol.
Before It's Too Late - Whale Shark - Gypsy of the Deep | Storyteller Media
There are several ways to download youtube videos. Firefox has an add-on.

The youtube id number is m3UnWBZIRVU

Edited by JonPalawan
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thank you for sharing this. I'll be snorkeling with them off Oslob in about a month I'm excited.

JonPalawan
Posted
Posted

Thank you for sharing this. I'll be snorkeling with them off Oslob in about a month I'm excited.

I hope you can devote sufficient time to view one of these fish. The day before my viewing no whale sharks appeared, ditto the day after my viewing. I was lucky, but was prepared to stay as long as necessary. You have every reason to be excited..

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
Before It's Too Late - Whale Shark - Gypsy of the Deep | Storyteller Media There are several ways to download youtube videos. Firefox has an add-on. The youtube id number is m3UnWBZIRVU

This is a great video!  A must watch for anyone or age. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

JonPalawan
Posted
Posted

Before It's Too Late - Whale Shark - Gypsy of the Deep | Storyteller Media There are several ways to download youtube videos. Firefox has an add-on. The youtube id number is m3UnWBZIRVU

I burned it onto dvds and took it to my local library, and I'll try to get it into the public schools through a friend teacher.

• Like 1

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted
I'll be snorkeling with them off Oslob in about a month I'm excited.

I am a scuba diver and dived at Oslob with them, absolutely fabulous!  Lots of snorkelers there also, a must do IMHO

Gator
Posted
Posted

Nice video!

You should be excited! It's a blast! I took a bike ride down to Alcoy (diving/snorkeling) and to Oslob with Gf1 about 2 weeks ago. For snorkeling at Oslob it's best to go early, about 7-8 in the morning, as the water is usually calmer and there's fewer people.

A few pics:

post-4514-0-92115100-1422661042_thumb.jp post-4514-0-56958000-1422661044_thumb.jp

post-4514-0-77653200-1422661045_thumb.jp post-4514-0-40395500-1422661047_thumb.jp

post-4514-0-04898800-1422661049_thumb.jp

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Great pictures guys!

JonPalawan
Posted
Posted

I burned it onto dvds and took it to my local library, and I'll try to get it into the public schools through a friend teacher.

I have another video about tarsiers on Bohol. I hesitate mentioning it, I don't know how people feel about torrents. It's available on kickass. It tells the story about Carlito, who as a boy was derisively called "monkey boy" on account of his love for tarsiers, and then as an adult was instrumental in establishing the tarsier sanctuary. The church was also involved.  Another touching story.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

At the risk of being a party spoiler I would recommend by far going to Donsol.

Although it is some years since I was there with these amazing creatures I have been out many time and loved it. 

Went once to Oslob and would never return. Just reminded me of trained monkeys. These magnificent creatures being hand fed by locals in a small boat. In my opinion its nothing more than a sad tourist trap.

One time some locals even had a rope around the tail on one of these, tied to a coconut tree, they were standing on the whale shark having pictures taken......I say no more except Donsol one can see them in a natural surrounding and have an amazing experience.

Leguspi  City close by is one of my favourite spots in the country. 

• Like 1