Donsol And Whale Sharks

JonPalawan
Posted
Posted

My only whale shark experience was at Donsol, and except for the place I stayed at, it was great. The animals were completely free. That's why I recommend planning to stay for several days, giving you more time to explore more places between Donsol and Legazpi. I stayed at the home stay of Marilyn Razo. I made my reservations from an international website, which clearly stated that we could leave early with no penalty. But when I paid my bill for only one day she insisted that I pay for the entire time that I reserved. She threatened to call the police, so I paid. Only later, facing my own threat of reporting her to BIR (she refused to issue me an OR) did she relent and send me a refund for the extra days. I had reserved a fan room, but instead she put us in an a/c room that had outside access only to the area where all the a/c exhaust was sent. Our room was an oven. She had an easy fix: I could pay extra and turn on the a/c. The fan room was empty when we arrived, and it had openable windows on two wall, so good cross ventilation.

She also made the arrangements for the tour, and charged dearly for the service. I think one could simply go the dock and make your own arrangements. While at the dock you can ask other tourists to join you to fill the tour boat. Works much the same way for the Underground River in Palawan.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Went once to Oslob and would never return. Just reminded me of trained monkeys. These magnificent creatures being hand fed by locals in a small boat. In my opinion its nothing more than a sad tourist trap.

Not to mention they charge "foreigners" double. Would never support it. The nearby Tumalog Falls are supposed to be worthwhile and I don't think there is dual pricing. p20 entrance for all. Accessible only by hired motorbike (p50) I believe.

RBM
Posted
Posted

Went once to Oslob and would never return. Just reminded me of trained monkeys. These magnificent creatures being hand fed by locals in a small boat. In my opinion its nothing more than a sad tourist trap.

Not to mention they charge "foreigners" double. Would never support it. The nearby Tumalog Falls are supposed to be worthwhile and I don't think there is dual pricing. p20 entrance for all. Accessible only by hired motorbike (p50) I believe.

Good to hear Mike its just like trained monkeys.....Never again.

Best and untouristy falls in the area are Giniltilan Falls Santander. Its a bit further around Cebu but well worth the trip, road is OK from the highway to falls. Just ask any local from the center of town. There is a small parking area where a friendly elderly local lives, charges P10 for parking which is fine. Just a short walk to magnificent falls. 

From there its not far to Moalboal town, we stay at Pacitas which is excellent for P800 including fridge and nice people. Nice trip around Southern Cebu.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

My only whale shark experience was at Donsol, and except for the place I stayed at, it was great. The animals were completely free. That's why I recommend planning to stay for several days, giving you more time to explore more places between Donsol and Legazpi. I stayed at the home stay of Marilyn Razo. I made my reservations from an international website, which clearly stated that we could leave early with no penalty. But when I paid my bill for only one day she insisted that I pay for the entire time that I reserved. She threatened to call the police, so I paid. Only later, facing my own threat of reporting her to BIR (she refused to issue me an OR) did she relent and send me a refund for the extra days. I had reserved a fan room, but instead she put us in an a/c room that had outside access only to the area where all the a/c exhaust was sent. Our room was an oven. She had an easy fix: I could pay extra and turn on the a/c. The fan room was empty when we arrived, and it had openable windows on two wall, so good cross ventilation.

She also made the arrangements for the tour, and charged dearly for the service. I think one could simply go the dock and make your own arrangements. While at the dock you can ask other tourists to join you to fill the tour boat. Works much the same way for the Underground River in Palawan.

Sorry to read your story and love the way you handled the situation. Hope you wrote on trip adviser about this rip off. 

I always had my motor cycle so found it easier to stay in lovely Legaspi City. Beautiful under towering Mt. Mayon. Also a nice climb but hard work......

• Like 1