"face" - Gaining It, Losing It, And Indeed Regaining It, And Its Effects..

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Spot on. I can walk around all day in Cebu and nobody gives a crap or even notices, but walking a single block here in Ormoc rewards me with catcalls and usually at least one "a**h*le!" from a passing tricycle. CIty Filipinos tend to have much more confidence, while the provincial guys are super-insecure and a foreigner's mere presence results in them "losing face". That's my experience. Another passive-aggressive example of "losing face" is when there is videoke....they love to change the words around to trash any foreigners that might be present. Unless you speak bisaya, you won't notice, but that's why they are all laughing. You don't really have to do much to cause a provincial FIlipino to lose face. Just being here is enough. )

Why would you want to live in a place like this ?

It is simply that they feel insecure in your presence.

Filipinos are well aware that their nation is not brilliantly successful, and that they are not immensely rich, and they certainly resent seeing you with a pretty woman.

They are "getting their retaliation in first", so to speak, in case you do something that makes them "lose face".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Spot on. I can walk around all day in Cebu and nobody gives a crap or even notices, but walking a single block here in Ormoc rewards me with catcalls and usually at least one "a**h*le!" from a passing tricycle. CIty Filipinos tend to have much more confidence, while the provincial guys are super-insecure and a foreigner's mere presence results in them "losing face". That's my experience. Another passive-aggressive example of "losing face" is when there is videoke....they love to change the words around to trash any foreigners that might be present. Unless you speak bisaya, you won't notice, but that's why they are all laughing. You don't really have to do much to cause a provincial FIlipino to lose face. Just being here is enough. )

Why would you want to live in a place like this ?

It is simply that they feel insecure in your presence.

Filipinos are well aware that their nation is not brilliantly successful, and that they are not immensely rich, and they certainly resent seeing you with a pretty woman.

They are "getting their retaliation in first", so to speak, in case you do something that makes them "lose face".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's it.  A pre-emptive strike.  I have explored most of Leyte and it's all the same here, for me.  I'm 45 and happily married, but the local guys think I'm a playboy and my only mission here is to steal their women.  We stay because wife has a good job and the in-laws are near to visit with baby until we ship off to the US.   But wife is getting tired of it too. now, and we are planning to relocate to Cebu City in a few months.  As I posted, the locals there just seem to be going about their business and are much more secure with themselves.  A much better fit for me and family, than here.  Hopefully soon, happiness and peace!  

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I've lived in a province town for more than 3 years and have never run into the situation you described with people yelling obscenities from passing vehicles. That's just bizarre. Sounds like stupid kids. In fact, I cannot recall one single unpleasant experience from any local except for overcharging a couple of times and I don't tolerate it. They sometimes stare with their mouths open but I guess I'm used to that. Prior to this I lived in Cebu City for about a year. I despise that place for so many reasons, particularly the traffic and pollution. Great for tourists but one of the most unlivable places I've ever been. But that's me, I hope it works out for you. 

• Like 2

Larry45
Posted
Posted

I've lived in a province town for more than 3 years and have never run into the situation you described with people yelling obscenities from passing vehicles. That's just bizarre. Sounds like stupid kids. In fact, I cannot recall one single unpleasant experience from any local except for overcharging a couple of times and I don't tolerate it. They sometimes stare with their mouths open but I guess I'm used to that. Prior to this I lived in Cebu City for about a year. I despise that place for so many reasons, particularly the traffic and pollution. Great for tourists but one of the most unlivable places I've ever been. But that's me, I hope it works out for you. 

Hi Mike....Cebu Island is the most affluent of all the Visayan Islands, and with money comes self-assurance.  I would probably get along well like you in Argao.  Just telling my experience here in Leyte.  Lots of guys love it here, but they are much older than me and LOVE the attention.  I crave anonymity, as does my wife, and we get that in Cebu City.  Grass looks greener over there...haha  :) 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Grass looks greener over there...haha   

Problem with grass, is it always needs Cutting  :rolleyes:  And it fades in the Sun.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Hesalright
Posted
Posted

I feel drained just reading this topic. Its gonna take a long long time for me to get my head around the "face" thing. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

. Its gonna take a long long time for me to get my head around the "face" thing. 

:unsure:  Welcome to the Philippines Glad you joined the club with the rest of us  :rolleyes:  :cheers:

Keep Smiling, it's the Only way to survive. :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat: