Where Do I Find A Philippine Debit Mastercard?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
Unless you want one purely for the convenience of making online purchases

Yep.  That would be it.

Online shopping in Philippines is way behind other countries but they are getting started.  The problem is you still cannot be sure of the quality when dealing with Philippine online retailers as many still do not think about tomorrow, but I expect that will change when they find out that Mastercard purchases can be reversed by Mastercard if they sell counterfeit goods or the transaction is fraudulent.  Which is another plus for using a Mastercard debit card.

As it was explained to me a foreigner could go on a spending spree and max out his card before leaving the Philippines

They must know you better than we do  :hystery:  because the Philippine Mastercard my previous bank issued me had no problem with my using it to buy a ticket to Hong Kong and using it in Hong Kong so they new I was out of the country and encouraged me to use it.  AND they did not require any deposit or balance of any kind from me. (Your mileage may vary.) In fact they actually pushed it on me when I told them I did not want or need it.  But as I said before, it just got to the point where the service they provided was not worth what they charged for it.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

They must know you better than we do   because the Philippine Mastercard my previous bank issued me had no problem with my using it to buy a ticket to Hong Kong and using it in Hong Kong so they new I was out of the country and encouraged me to use it.

Dave, have you Given this Option a thought 

http://www.bpicards.com/Cards/PrepaidDetails/37

Just a Thought.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Philippine Mastercard my previous bank issued me had no problem with my using it to buy a ticket to Hong Kong and using it in Hong Kong so they new I was out of the country and encouraged me to use it.

Geeeeez .... sometimes I feel I'm speaking Russian or some other foreign language ..... can't seem to express myself for others to understand ..... :1 (103):

What I meant by leaving the country is if you have a p500,000 limit on your card you run up charges of p500,000 for various things including your plane ticket and then leave the country for good leaving the bank to try and recoup the p500,000 ..... that is why a p500,000 Phils credit card can require you to put up p750,000 in an account to insure you won't skip the country owing the bank money .... they will take the amount owed from your deposit .... thus the 1 1/2 times the face amount of your credit card ....

Why the extra p250,000 because sometimes credit info doesn't get back to the bank in time even though you have a p500,000 limit on your card ..... now the card limits I expressed here are purely hypothetical ..... I have no idea what the card limit would be as we didn't pursue getting a card because of the 1 1/2 deposit .... 

And now I'm going back to :36_1_50[1]:   which is what I should have done in the first place ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

:cheersty:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
What I meant by leaving the country is if you have a p500,000 limit on your card you run up charges of p500,000 for various things including your plane ticket and then leave the country for good leaving the bank to try and recoup the p500,000 ..... that is why a p500,000 Phils credit card can require you to put up p750,000 in an account to insure you won't skip the country owing the bank money .... they will take the amount owed from your deposit .... thus the 1 1/2 times the face amount of your credit card ....  

Certainly defeats the purpose of having a credit card as most want one to use that credit but if you have the money in the first place why bother? 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Geeeeez .... sometimes I feel I'm speaking Russian or some other foreign language ..... can't seem to express myself for others to understand

Did you say something?   :e3358:   :lol:

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

BDO gives a debit MC if memory serves.

As of today, BDO has reduced each withdrawal to 10,000p in line with the others.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Follow Up:

So today I went into PSBank and opened a savings account linked to a Debit MasterCard.  It is the same as a MetroBank ATM savings account in all respects except that the ATM card is linked to MasterCard.  There is a minimum balance of 2,000 pesos that must be kept in the account at all times but other than that it is exactly what I want.

The account gets opened and the Debit/ATM/Mastercard is issued in half hour.  You need a passport and Tourist ACR card and they are firm about it at the Dumaguete branch.  Make your initial deposit and wait 48 hours before using your new card as a Mastercard. Of course you can use it as a regular ATM card as soon as you walk out the door and enter it into the machine to change the p.i.n.

The card is limited to 30,000 pesos worth of transactions per day but that can be increased if you talk to the manager. (It is enough for me).

I should now be able to buy online, link to Paypal, reserve hotels, and get airline tickets with this card and it costs me nothing.  I shall post here later if it is not all it is said to be.

:thumbsup:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Further Update:

The Debit Mastercard worked for an online purchase.  Using the information on the website of the PSBank I tried to register online so I could view my transactions.  The form required that I enter a landline phone number which I do not have and have not had a landline for over 10 years now.  This is the first time I have needed one so I entered 123456789 as my landline number.  The online banking was denied because they could not contact me by phone  DUH.  So here was my reply, I hope some find it is humorous as I intended it to be:

My recent application for ONLINE banking was declined because you could not reach me BY PHONE.  Does your bank realize that ONLINE banking is for people who do not want TELEPHONE banking?  I also do not want to bank by SNAIL MAIL or by PONY EXPRESS and you cannot reach me by those methods either.

I was however, IN PERSON, with the bank manager when I deposited cash to open my new account.  The ONLINE part was just intended to be a way to check my transactions, which your web site says can be done ONLINE.

The telephone is so 20'th century.  But hey, good luck with your other customers.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
The form required that I enter a landline phone number which I do not have and have not had a landline for over 10 years now

I have the opposite problem in that I do not have a cell phone, only a land line. Lazada , Cebu Pacific, and PAL require a cell number so I give my daughter's but when she is in school, her cell is off. At other times, when it is on, messages are not important.