Erratic Cell Coverage In Zamboanga Del Sur Countryside

virginprune
Posted
Posted

We have a Smart pocket wifi which is fairly erratic. While I'm in the UK we get our best skype connection at 4 am on a Sunday, Philippine time, we are usually on for about 4 hours. At other times and on other days it drops out fairly regularly. This is in South Cotabato. I can only suggest try at that time, if you haven't already of course.

That suggests that the problem is cell system capacity, rather than signal strength, which is interesting

I agree, it seems the most likely scenario.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

It's easy to find out. On a day when reception is terrible (dropping calls), have the Mrs go for a ride toward the cell tower. If calls don't drop when close up, it's weak signal... If they still drop once she is close, it's cellular congestion. Note that, with congestion, her stronger signal may induce weaker signals to drop and hers to stay - or not - depending on the technology used in the tower set-up... But it's a fairly new line anywhere in the Philippines and only old technology will do that.

Edited by i am bob
  • Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Thanks. Will try that. One odd symptom - we often heat a sound like a musical scale being played just before the call drops.

A booster (now unobtainable in the Philippines,as Glove has made everyone stop selling them!) would fix the weak signal problem and"might fix"the capacity problem!