Mountain Tribe Forced Away.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cagayan-de-oro/local-news/2015/02/02/gov-t-intervention-lumad-displacement-sought-389893

(My marks.)

THE local and national governments must intervene in the evacuation of the close to a thousand indigenous people (IP) living in four hinterland villages in San Luis, Agusan del Sur, after one of a lumad member died as a result of the displacement, a tribal leader told Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro Monday.

Datu Jomorito Goaynon, deputy secretary-general of Kalumaran, a federation of tribal organizations in Mindanao, said a still unnamed female Banwaon died on February 2, at 5 p.m. after being admitted for a week due to stress and fatigue.

Goaynon said the dead tribal member was confined at a public hospital in Patin-ay, Agusan del Sur, and was taken care of by Kalumaran.

He said they could not yet identify the fatality as she still in a morgue in Patin-ay, which is far from the evacuation center in Barangay Balit where the lumads are currently staying.

Aside from her, many of the Banwaon evacuees are also suffering from various ailments due to their traumatic experience such as long walk night and day as they fled from their communities, he said.

In a statement emailed to Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro by Kalumaran, it reported that around 207 Banwaon households, or about 969 individuals, have become “victims of human rights violations as recorded by Karapatan Caraga due to the ceaseless military operations in four villages in San Luis… to pave way for the entry of mining companies in the area.”

The group said the families fled their homes due to threats by paramilitary groups and state security forces.

“Datu ‘Bagal’ Mauro Mansilyohan, a chief community adviser of the Banwaons in Sitio Tabon-Tabon, Barangay Mahagsay, San Luis… said the paramilitary groups in the area wants us to give up our ancestral domain to them through a unified Certificate of Ancestral Domain Title (CADT),” the statement said.

“Mario Napungahan, a tribal chieftain who used to be with the Citizen Armed Force Geographical Unit (Cafgu), wants us to transfer to their community so that the ancestral domain of the Banwaons will be consolidated under his supervision and leadership,” the group quoted Mansilyohan as saying.

Kalumaran alleged Napungahan wants to consolidate the CADT because he wants mining corporations to operate in the ancestral domains of the Banwaons in San Luis, Agusan del Sur.

Goaynon added the forcible evacuation is the effect of the army and paramilitary group’s coercion to allow the entry of mining corporations in the ancestral domain of the Banwaons.

“In our previous experience, after the approval of the consolidated CADT, the datus in Barangay Binicalan are now under threats and harassment for refusing to sign the Free Prior and Informed Consent (FPIC) that grants the entry of mining corporations in the area, following the Indigenous Peoples Rights Act (Ipra),” he added.

Goaynon said they are calling on the government to pull out its troops and subdue the paramilitary forces operating in the area so the Banwaons can go back to their lands.

• Like 1

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

the rich at it again

Hesalright
Posted
Posted

Yeah that sound like greed to me. 

5 years ago when you traveled from Cebu City to Toledo it was Mountains,Mountains, Mountains. Now every year I travel though that area I think to myself "Didn't there used to be a mountain there"

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

5 years ago when you traveled from Cebu City to Toledo it was Mountains,Mountains, Mountains. Now every year I travel though that area I think to myself "Didn't there used to be a mountain there"

:unsure:  What! You mean someone has Stolen the Mountains or have they just moved them together with the Tribes?

AH! I see the Tribes moved them, well that's OK then, they have just moved House and taken it with them  :mocking:

Ooooooooooops sorry, but it was left wide open for someone to jump in  :rolleyes:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 3